FTM names for a transgender teen :)

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] guys,

I’ve been trying to think of names for months now, and I’ve narrowed it down to a short list. Would anyone mind giving their opinion on these and possibly giving me some more options? :slight_smile:

Here’s my current list:

• [name_u]Kit[/name_u]
  • Isen
  • [name_m]Basil[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Dallas[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Ace[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Peter[/name_m] (or Peeta)
  • [name_m]Eames[/name_m]

Any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

I really like [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_m]Peter[/name_m]! Peeta is nice but you’d probably get a lot of Hunger Games comments- that might not bother you though! I don’t know.

Some suggestions: [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_u]Ash[/name_u], [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_u]Avery[/name_u], [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], [name_m]Beckett[/name_m], [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_u]Cal[/name_u], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m], [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], [name_m]Eric[/name_m], [name_m]Errol[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Forest[/name_m], [name_m]Frank[/name_m], [name_m]Fred[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Gregory[/name_m], [name_m]Harris[/name_m], [name_m]Harry[/name_m], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_u]Jay[/name_u], [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_m]Kester[/name_m], [name_m]Kip[/name_m], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], [name_m]Luther[/name_m], [name_u]Lyle[/name_u], [name_m]Mark[/name_m], [name_u]Micah[/name_u], [name_m]Mick[/name_m], [name_u]Perry[/name_u], [name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_u]Toby[/name_u]

I had a tough time choosing my own name, so I know how frustrating it can be. Good luck!

I think [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] are both great options

I love [name_u]Dallas[/name_u] and [name_m]Ace[/name_m]! [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] are close seconds.

I really like [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]!
[name_u]Jem[/name_u], [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_m]Axel[/name_m] and [name_m]Cole[/name_m] came to mind too

1 Like

[name_u]Kit[/name_u]- Has a spunky feel, I really like it but it is more androgynous so if you want an exclusively masculine this might not be the one.
Isen- I’m not sure how to pronounce this one? Eye- zen? I sounds kind of Scandinavian and that’s v popular right now. It reminds me of [name_m]Isaac[/name_m].
[name_m]Basil[/name_m]- One of my favorite vintage boys names!
[name_u]Dallas[/name_u]- [name_m]Just[/name_m] not my fave- no particular reason. Again this is unisex to me not exclusively male.
[name_m]Ace[/name_m]- Cool & flashy but I don’t know how it would hold up as full first name.
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]- I like this one. Solid surname as first name
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (or Peeta)- [name_m]Peter[/name_m] is a good traditional name that’'s not too popular right now. It’s not my favorite sound but its a fine name. Peeta will make people think of Hunger Games but if you don’t mind that it’s good.
[name_m]Eames[/name_m]- makes me think of the movie Inception.

ETA some suggestions that fit your vibe to me
Cole
Theo
Porter
Asher
Ivo
Fielder
Eamon

[name_u]Kit[/name_u]- I love this, it’s so sweet yet full of spunk. I agree with the PP though that this is unisex so wouldn’t work if you want something exclusively masculine. If I saw [name_u]Kit[/name_u] on a school roster or something, I wouldn’t have a clue the gender of the individual, but my main association is the American Girl doll
Isen- is this ee-sen or eye-sen? Or something else? I like it both ways but I’d have no idea how to say it
[name_m]Basil[/name_m]- this is very old man to me. I think it could work for someone with an old soul though
[name_u]Dallas[/name_u]- this has the opposite vibe of [name_m]Basil[/name_m] for me. It’s unisex but I’d assume the wearer was a boy at first
[name_m]Ace[/name_m]- this isn’t my favorite. It feels a little flashy and fake
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]- definitely one of my favorites! It balances the sweet nerdiness of [name_m]Basil[/name_m] with the coolness of [name_u]Dallas[/name_u] imo
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (or Peeta)- I love [name_m]Peter[/name_m] but Peeta, not so much. [name_m]Peter[/name_m] gives me similar vibes to [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], despite being more classic, thanks to [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Parker[/name_u]. With Peeta, while I think it’s very Hunger Games, I also think it sounds like a name a teenager chose for themself. This isn’t a bad thing but I wonder if people wouldn’t believe that it was your real name, if that makes sense?
[name_m]Eames[/name_m]- I prefer [name_m]Eamon[/name_m]. The sound of this doesn’t sit right with me for some reason

[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] is definitely my favorite, followed by [name_m]Peter[/name_m].

• [name_u]Kit[/name_u] - Cool name! It does read unisex to me, though (Southern US).

• Isen - First thing I think of is isotope. Not a bad name, just not familiar with it.

• [name_m]Basil[/name_m] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] this! Good if you’re in the UK, not so much in the US.

• [name_u]Dallas[/name_u] - Cowboy-chic. I actually really like this name. Probably my favourite on this list.

• [name_m]Ace[/name_m] - Cool, but a bit trendy. Always thought of it as a nn for [name_m]Amos[/name_m] or [name_m]Asher[/name_m].

• [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] - Sweet name! Second favourite. [name_m]Fletch[/name_m] is a geek-chic nickname that I adore.

• [name_m]Peter[/name_m] (or Peeta) - Handsome and traditional. Not my favourite, personally, but nice. I prefer [name_m]Peter[/name_m].

• [name_m]Eames[/name_m] - Could be a cool nickname for [name_m]Amos[/name_m] or [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], but I think it works well enough on its own as well.

Thank You! :smile: I really like [name_u]Jay[/name_u] and [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and I hadn’t thought of them before.

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

I love [name_m]Cole[/name_m] thank you :smile:

Thank you :blush: I am going to take [name_m]Peter[/name_m] off my list, because one of my friends’ siblings is called that - but I am definitely going to add [name_m]Cole[/name_m] :smile:

1 Like

Hey there! Re-naming oneself is such a process! It’s an honor to get to weigh in.

I love [name_u]Kit[/name_u] but it is unisex. If you want an androgynous name then it’s perfect. If you want something technically masculine with option of androgyny, may I suggest [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]/[name_m]Kristoffer[/name_m], nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u]?

[name_m]Basil[/name_m] is great. I like it pronounced with either a long or short A sound. [name_m]Bas[/name_m]/[name_m]Baz[/name_m] is a cool nickname.

[name_m]Ace[/name_m] feels a little too macho and bro-y to me. Not wild about it.

I’ve met a couple Fletchers and think it’s a versatile choice.

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] is a classic. Peeta’s not my cup of tea, and I was under the impression that the character in the books/movies was…problematic? Selfish and disrespectful of [name_f]Katniss[/name_f]’ autonomy? But I’m going of hearsay since I haven’t read the books/watched the movies.

[name_m]Eames[/name_m] is cool and does strike me as a Millenial/Hipster name because of the mid-century modern designer [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_u]Ray[/name_u] [name_m]Eames[/name_m]. Not sure of any other associations.

Suggestions (sorry for repeats): [name_u]Jay[/name_u], [name_u]Jem[/name_u], [name_u]Ray[/name_u], [name_u]Porter[/name_u].

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! :slight_smile:
Thanks for your suggestions - I do really like [name_u]Jay[/name_u] and it is one of the top spots on my list now. I get what you mean about [name_u]Kit[/name_u] being androgynous but I don’t really mind that.

I love [name_m]Basil[/name_m] and [name_m]Peter[/name_m]! [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] is also a good choice because it’s a little bit different while not sticking out in your age group.
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] is quite nice but on it’s own is a more neutral choice. Totally not a problem if you’re cool with a little ambiguity, but if you’re desiring something hardline masculine, than a longer form name with [name_u]Kit[/name_u] as the nickname (ex: [name_m]Kristoff[/name_m]) would probably work better for what you want.

So rated:
[name_m]Basil[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] with a long form name
[name_m]Eames[/name_m]
Isen
[name_m]Ace[/name_m]
[name_u]Dallas[/name_u]

I have quite a few transmasc friends and I’ve noticed they’ve all chosen names that are short and punchy; [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_u]Ray[/name_u], [name_m]Aries[/name_m], [name_m]Maxx[/name_m], etc.

1 Like

I like all names from your list! [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_u]Dallas[/name_u]

I like all of your options! I’ve ordered them by how much I like them.

• [name_m]Basil[/name_m]- I surprisingly love it! Cool, eccentric, vintage, but definitely a well known name. YOu’d need a specific personality to pull this one off, but looking at your style it’s probably a good fit.
  • [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]- One of my favorites. Solid, masculine, uncommon, and interesting while also easily pronounceable and familiar.
  • [name_u]Dallas[/name_u]- More modern than some of your other options, but really good.
  • [name_m]Eames[/name_m]- I really like this one too! [name_u]Unique[/name_u] but simple and strong.
  • [name_m]Peter[/name_m]- not as individual and interesting as the others but a great name!
  • Isen- I don’t know how to say it, but it looks cool!
  • [name_m]Ace[/name_m]- A bit nicknamey, but I definitely like it
  • [name_u]Kit[/name_u]- nice, but feels androgynous and a bit young. I think of it as a nickname.

I like [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] best! But at the end of the day, the person makes the name :slight_smile:

I love the name [name_u]Dallas[/name_u], and I think a good nickname could be Dally?

[name_u]Kit[/name_u] - I find this name to be quite popular within the trans community. It’s not a bad name, but I consider it more of a nickname.

Isen - Not sure of pronunciation. And depending where you live it may differ.

[name_m]Basil[/name_m] - Not a fan personally. Reminds me of the spice.

[name_u]Dallas[/name_u] - One of my favourite names from your list.

[name_m]Ace[/name_m] - Not a fan. Seems more like a nickname to me.

[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] - Very cool name. Another one I’d consider.

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] - Classic name. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t go wrong with it.

[name_m]Eames[/name_m] - Pronunciation? Not a fan of this one.

Other names you might like:
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_u]Killian[/name_u]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]