Further Down the List— the Chaotics

I’m working on more combos, hoping to work out a top 40 or 50. A lot of this is just for fun—making combos, combining name meanings, finding new beauties that deserve a second look. Who knows? Maybe some of these names will make my top 25.

I’m splitting this list into 3 groups:
The Lawfuls (names I have no questions or concerns about)
The Neutrals (names I have short questions about)
The Chaotics (names I have longer or more than one question about)

This is group one: the Chaotics.

You can pick all of your favorites from this list. The catch? You have to answer the question(s) inside the summary for those names as well. Just the names you pick. Don’t feel like you have to answer all of them!

([name_m]Don[/name_m]’t be nervous. The questions aren’t that bad. Most of them are reassurances.)

Here’s the Chaotics list. I’ll post links to the other threads when I make them.

Alaska

This comes from an Aleut word. Could it be offensive for someone who isn’t Aleut or Alaskan to use the name? Also, would it become Allie?

Caro

[name_f]My[/name_f] cousin is C0ra so it might be too close. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is also [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] but I’m not attached to it so it feels weird if it looks like I’m honoring myself with the name I identify the least with. However, my mn is after my grandmas, both named [name_f]Carol[/name_f].

Cassiopeia

I say this cass-ee-oh-PAY-uh. It’s a bit longer than I normally go for. I’m okay with [name_u]Cass[/name_u] and [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] but do they seem too common? Like what’s the point of using [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] if she just ends up as [name_f]Cassie[/name_f]? [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] is too long as a nn for me.

Cove

Is this too similar to COVID?

Hallow

Spooky or holy? I’m an atheist.

Poe

I’d love full name ideas. [name_u]Poet[/name_u] is on my Neutrals list

Puck

[name_m]Can[/name_m] it stand alone? Full name ideas?

Quill

I love this on a girl but I’m not sure if I can shake off the [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Quill[/name_u] association. Not a bad one, just not the first person in the MCU that I’d think to honor

Sabrina

Too dated? I love it but I don’t want to choose a name people would think is boring

Talia/Thalia

I love both equally. I would say them both TALL-ee-uh. Now my dilemma.

[name_f]My[/name_f] best friend’s ex cheated on her with a [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. I didn’t know either person because she lives across the country but she obviously hates the name and she would be like a future child’s aunt. I don’t want to use a name she hates like this. She doesn’t have this association with [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] and I love it as much as [name_f]Talia[/name_f] but would pronunciation be an issue?

I appreciate your help!

1 Like

My favorites are [name_f]Talia[/name_f], [name_f]Alaska[/name_f], and [name_u]Quill[/name_u].

I think [name_u]Cove[/name_u] is usable, but right now it might be a bit tied to Covid.

I really like [name_u]Poe[/name_u] and [name_u]Puck[/name_u], but I worry about teasing for [name_u]Puck[/name_u].

Caro is nice, but maybe it’s too close to [name_f]Cora[/name_f]? Still could work though.

Cassiopeia is also nice but the spelling trips me up sometimes.

Hallow reminds me of religion, but maybe it’s because I was raised Catholic.

Sabrina might be a tad dated, but I think it still could work. It reminds me of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] Carpenter, whos an actress and singer.

1 Like

Thank you! I was raised Catholic too but didn’t catch the “hallowed” connection until someone pointed it out. I haven’t been practicing for over a year though.

I really like [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] Carpenter, she’s one of the many reasons I enjoy the name so much.

1 Like

I’m going to try to answer all of the questions. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are Caro and Sabrina. You have great taste!

Alaska: I’m not sure. [name_f]My[/name_f] instinct is “no” but only because I’ve never heard anyone from either group say otherwise.

Caro: Since it’s after your grandparents, it looks like an honor for them and not for you. I don’t think it’s too close to [name_f]Cora[/name_f] because the vowel sounds are different.

Cassiopeia: I think she would end up [name_u]Cass[/name_u] or [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] unless you think of a different nickname to use. I really like both names and I don’t think they sound too common. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Io[/name_f], Peia, Eia?

Cove: Yeah I think of COVID.

Hallow: I can see how it could be a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] name but it’s definitely not obvious. [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is the word “hollow.”

Poe: [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Apolline[/name_f], [name_f]Apolonia[/name_f], [name_f]Eponine[/name_f], [name_f]Leopoldine[/name_f], [name_f]Pola[/name_f], [name_f]Polina[/name_f], [name_f]Pomona[/name_f], [name_f]Portia[/name_f], or [name_f]Posy[/name_f]?

Puck: Too close to the swear word for me. I think this would come up a lot. Maybe [name_u]Robin[/name_u] “[name_u]Puck[/name_u]”?

Quill: I don’t know the association, but I think most people would think of the word “quill” before the character. It also sounds fashionable (similar to [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] etc.) so I doubt others would think it was an honor name for him.

Sabrina: Not too dated, timeless because of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] [name_m]Fairchild[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] absolute favorite of your choices.

Thalia: pronunciation might not be intuitive, but it would also be a quick correction.

1 Like

My thoughts…

Alaska - my instinct is to say it is ok
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] - Not a fan of this as a name by itself. I would probably use [name_f]Carol[/name_f] to honor the grandmas (if that’s your thing) and then call her [name_u]Caro[/name_u] or [name_f]Cara[/name_f]. I definitely think [name_u]Caro[/name_u] by itself will lead to a lot of explanation.
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] - I actually like this one. I don’t think [name_u]Cass[/name_u]/Cassie is too common. I think it can be kind of fun to have a “normal” nickname and an unexpected full name.
[name_u]Cove[/name_u] - Yeah, I think this is too similar to COVID right now
[name_u]Hallow[/name_u] - Neither. I just don’t like this one.
[name_u]Poe[/name_u] - [name_u]Poe[/name_u] is cute. Could be short for… [name_f]Poem[/name_f], [name_f]Posey[/name_f], [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f], [name_f]Portia[/name_f], [name_m]Portland[/name_m], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]. For more of a stretch… [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f] (if [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] can be [name_f]Peggy[/name_f], why can’t [name_f]Margo[/name_f] be [name_u]Poe[/name_u]), [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_u]Puck[/name_u] - I think it could be a cute nickname, but not sure it works as a full name
[name_u]Quill[/name_u] - I think it’s fine, but I also had to look up [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Quill[/name_u] because I’m not familiar with him
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - Compared to your other options, I do think [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] is a little less interesting
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]/Thalia - Honestly, I’d ask your friend how she feels. I do like [name_f]Talia[/name_f] better personally, but I think either could work or be a problem for your friend. Only she can answer that. How do you feel about [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], [name_u]Tali[/name_u], [name_u]Tal[/name_u], [name_f]Talila[/name_f], or [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]?

1 Like

Thank you! I love the names in your UC as well!

I’m not so much setting out to honor my grandmas with [name_u]Caro[/name_u] as it would just happen to be an honor for them. I’m glad it wouldn’t be seen as too close to C0ra. I just worried because it has the same letters in a different order.

With [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], I’ve never understood the people who would name their child [name_f]Avonlea[/name_f] and call them [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. Like why go with the beautiful, uncommon name like [name_f]Avonlea[/name_f] if you just want to call her one of the popular names of this generation? So I was worried that [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] “[name_u]Cass[/name_u]/Cassie” would have that same confusion to it. I’m glad it’s not too common.

I like [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] but I’ve never really considered it for myself. Perhaps I shall.

1 Like

Thank you!

Like I said in the previous post, I’m not setting out for [name_u]Caro[/name_u] to be an honor, I just think it would be taken as an honor. I’m not a fan of [name_f]Carol[/name_f] at all, I’m afraid.

Poem is also pretty! And [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f], although I’m not Hispanic so I’m not sure I can get away with that. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]! How did I not think of that?

My friend has told me she hates [name_f]Talia[/name_f] but doesn’t mind [name_f]Thalia[/name_f], even if they’re pronounced the same. We have the same positive [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] association ([name_f]Thalia[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] from PJO) so she’s fine with it. I like [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] (prefer the [name_f]Natalya[/name_f] spelling) and [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] but I’ve loved [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]/Talia for years so they don’t quite feel like replacements for it. Both are on my long lists.

Alaska— this one doesn’t seem offensive to me any more than any other place name would be. It’s personally not to my taste, but I don’t think it’s problematic. I’m not Aleut or Alaskan though so I recognize it’s not fully my place to say.

Caro— this one feels very much like an honor name or nickname for [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] to me, to be honest. It doesn’t feel too close to [name_f]Cora[/name_f] at all, though!

Cassiopeia— I absolutely love this one, but agree it’s a bit long to not have a nickname. [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] is great as a stand-alone name, and I also love [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]! [name_u]Cass[/name_u] and [name_f]Cassie[/name_f], though, don’t seem too common to me at all. I’ve only known two [name_f]Cassie[/name_f]’s in my life that I can think of— one was a [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] “[name_f]Cassie[/name_f]” and one was a [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] “[name_f]Cassy[/name_f].” No [name_u]Cass[/name_u]’s at all.

Cove— a little similar to Covid for me, yeah… I like the sound and meaning though!

Hallow— Spooky to me, and I’m religious. Nms but I wouldn’t think this was a religious name at all if I heard it in real life.

Poe— I totally love this one! [name_u]Poet[/name_u] is a great full name for it, other options might be: [name_f]Poetry[/name_f], [name_f]Apollonia[/name_f], [name_m]Pollux[/name_m], [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Pauline[/name_f], [name_f]Paula[/name_f], [name_f]Paulette[/name_f], [name_f]Poesy[/name_f]/Posey/etc., [name_f]Opal[/name_f] (might be a stretch…), or any first and middle initials P.O.

Puck— I love this name as a nickname in theory, but in practice I personally think of the Glee character and all the possible weird associations that come with it. In terms of a full name, the first think I think of is [name_u]Robin[/name_u], as in [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Goodfellow who is the character [name_u]Puck[/name_u] from A Midsummer [name_u]Night[/name_u]’s [name_u]Dream[/name_u]. [name_u]Puck[/name_u] feels like “[name_u]Scout[/name_u]” though in that it’s a personality nickname to me rather than a name one.

Quill— I’m not very familiar with the MCU so I can’t speak to that association, to me this one just seems to be a fresher take on [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]. That said, I personally think it works a bit better on a boy.

Sabrina— I don’t think this name is too dated at all! I’ve only met a couple [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]’s and they were all different ages. This name used to be a top favorite of mine as well, I now have a family friend who has a kid with the name so I probably wouldn’t use it but I think it’s absolutely lovely and very wearable.

Thalia/Talia— this one is on my UC and absolutely one of my current favorites. I like it as a nickname for [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], but I like it even better as a standalone name. To me it seems both classic and fresh, contemporary without being too trendy.

1 Like

My favorites are [name_u]Caro[/name_u], [name_u]Poe[/name_u], [name_f]Talia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]!

Caro- Hm, it is a little close but the names have pretty distinctive sounds because of the endings. If you really wouldn’t want to honor any of your family with the name I might avoid it, as people might assume you are honoring them.

Hallow- I kind of think of the deathly hallows :sweat_smile: I’m also not religious so I don’t get the religious connotation that much.

Poe- Full names could be [name_f]Poesy[/name_f], [name_f]Poem[/name_f], [name_f]Eponine[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f]/Pollyanna, or [name_f]Pomona[/name_f]

Sabrina- I don’t find it boring. I think it’s a sweet and interesting name!

Talia/Thalia- Hm, this one’s tough. It might be better to just avoid it as it might hurt your friend. I used to always think that [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] was pronounced with a th sound like in “the”, so I assume children might have trouble getting it right.

1 Like

Sabrina!! I don’t think this name is boring or dated at all. Sure, it’s familiar, but it’s way down in the popularity charts, not common, stretches back centuries, and is doused in Celtic lore. Also, Audrey Hepburn famously played the titular character in Sabrina, leaving an everlasting quality of classiness to Sabrina. Then, much later, the character Sabrina Spellman infused Sabrina with witchy vibes, thus making Sabrina a cornucopia of delights. I suggest reading John Milton’s “Sabrina Fair” if you want to fall even more in love with its entrancing sound.

Frankly, Sabrina’s my favorite of all the names you’ve listed here.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] and [name_f]Alaska[/name_f].

Penelope or [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] could have the nn [name_u]Poe[/name_u]

1 Like

Alaska: I don’t think it’s offensive. But I do think of [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u]’s book: Looking for [name_f]Alaska[/name_f]. Though I do like the book, and the name itself.

Caro: looks incomplete. And it’s nothing wrong to honor yourself, fathers do that all the time. How about doing [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Carol[/name_f], [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] or [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]?

Cassiopeia: I’m afraid most people will call her [name_f]Cassie[/name_f], especially when she’s younger.

Cove: Not to me, it’s not even close to COVID, so I think it’s safe to use it.

Hallow: It’s too Halloween for me, bc I was raised with no religion.

Poe: the only think I can think of is [name_u]Poet[/name_u], maybe [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]?

Puck: is a no for me for both girls and boys. It’s too tie to Glee for me, and the actor ruined the name for me.

Quill: I think of MCU [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Quill[/name_u]. But I think it’d be a girl named [name_u]Quill[/name_u]. If you’re not keen on that how about: [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_u]Stark[/name_u], or [name_u]Stevie[/name_u]?

Sabrina: not dated at all! I absolutely adore this name!

Talia/Thalia: With [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] there might be some mispronunciation, but I think it shouldn’t be an issue once they know the correct one.

1 Like

Thank you!

Cassia is on my Lawfuls list, I love it too. It just feels too long to be a nickname. I’m glad people wouldn’t find [name_u]Cass[/name_u] or [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] boring.

Poetry is also a beautiful name!

I also have [name_u]Quill[/name_u] on my boys list.

1 Like

Thank you!

With [name_u]Caro[/name_u], it’s not that I don’t want to honor family, it’s that I don’t want to set out to honor family. I’ve been doing that for years and it’s just been frustrating to figure out how to honor everyone so I’ve stopped trying.

Deathly hallows isn’t a bad association for me!

I used to get into debates with people about [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] because people on the internet said it with a th- but everyone I asked in real life would say it with a T- sound. Maybe it’s just what people are used to? Thall-ee-uh has never sounded right to me.

1 Like

Thank you!

I love [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] so much but I get put off when people say it’s a basic 90s name. I have a basic 90s/00s name and I don’t want my kid to think their name is basic or boring.

1 Like

Thank you!

The only option of those I like is [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] and that’s much too close to C0ra :/. Really, it’s [name_u]Caro[/name_u] and “oh I guess that honors my grandmas, what a coincidence” or no coincidental honor name.

I’m okay with Halloween! I just had a negative situation with religion so I don’t want a name that feels religious.

It’s funny, I did a poll some time ago about [name_u]Puck[/name_u]’s major association and the vast majority of people said they’d never heard of the Glee character. I don’t like Glee so I have no idea who this person is. It makes me sad that they ruined the name.

You know I love [name_u]Parker[/name_u]! Not (just) for the MCU though.

1 Like

Alaska I love for you, I don’t think it could be offensive, I’ve never heard of anyone saying it causes offensive before, but I’m not Aleut or from [name_f]Alaska[/name_f], so I don’t think I’m really qualified to answer. In my experience though, it’s not.

Caro is a bit too close to [name_f]Cora[/name_f] for me, and to [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], if you don’t want it assumed that she’s named for you? I don’t know how likely it is but they do look a bit close.

Cassiopeia wasn’t the greatest mythological figure imo (from what i know, she tied her daughter to a rock to feed her to a sea creature that was supposed to eat [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]?), and I do feel like she may just end up being [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] in the end :confused:

I love [name_u]Cove[/name_u] for you, and while it’s similar to COVID right now, in 5-10 years, I don’t know if the association will be the same.

Hallow is very sweet, I love it, but it feels very [name_u]Christian[/name_u] imo - not a bad thing, but I don’t see you with one for that reason.

Poe would be a great nn for [name_u]Poet[/name_u] or [name_f]Poem[/name_f] :slight_smile:

Puck reminds me of hockey above anything else, it feels a bit odd as a name :confused:

Quill is nice but I do think of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Quill[/name_u]. If it bothers you, then I’d maybe leave it, or relegate it to a middle name?

I LOVE [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] for you! [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] feels more along the lines of [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f], etc. They were popular a few decades back, but even in their popularity, they were never top of the pyramid, therefore they don’t really feel “dated” to me.

The only [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] I know says her name the way you do, so I don’t see a pronunciation issue arising there, and it would be a relatively easy fix, imo.

1 Like

Thank you!

I’m happy to hear you love [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] and [name_u]Cove[/name_u] for me!

I also appreciate knowing that [name_u]Hallow[/name_u] would be seen to some as religious. I might leave it for my fall list.

1 Like

My favorites are [name_f]Alaska[/name_f], [name_u]Cove[/name_u], [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] & [name_u]Quill[/name_u]!

Alaska: I don’t think it would be viewed as offensive in my opinion and I view it as a place name. The default nickname that I think of is [name_u]Allie[/name_u], but there are many other nicknames to choose from.

Cove: It is quite similar in sound to COVID, but I don’t think that too many people would have that be the first thing to come to mind. And I quite prefer it to the more popular [name_m]Cole[/name_m].

Quill: I actually have never heard of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Quill[/name_u], but that’s probably just me.

Sabrina: It’s not dated at all, and it still sounds fresh and bright in my opinion!

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hallow- This name is spooky to me and I like it but I didn’t grow up religious
[name_u]Puck[/name_u]- I like this name because of the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] play but I think it is to close to the swear word
[name_u]Quill[/name_u]- I immediately think of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Quill[/name_u] and I wouldn’t really want to honor him either. The name is on my list, though I would probably keep it to the middle

1 Like