Further Down the List: The Neutrals

Alden: way too close in my opinion.
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]: [name_f]Bree[/name_f] or Bry would likely be the go-to nickname, depending on how you wanted to pronounce it. I’m assuming [name_f]Bree[/name_f]-uh-nee?
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]- not too dated but kind of bland
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]- I don’t know who/what that is, so I would assume not
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]- sweet, but not too soft by any means
[name_f]Elsinore[/name_f]- [name_f]Nell[/name_f] could work but the others are inevitable once she starts going to school, etc
[name_u]Fiore[/name_u]- not too difficult
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]- not a deal breaker in my eyes
[name_u]Golden[/name_u]- I don’t care for it as a first, but thats not to say its unusable
[name_u]Hero[/name_u]- too much
Lillevi- Its not the worst name I’ve heard but there are definitely better options
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]- I don’t think its to short
[name_f]Nephele[/name_f]- not too hard but a lot of people aren’t familiar with these types of pronunciations so you’ll have to correct people constantly
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]- It’s not too much. Those nicknames are adorable!
[name_u]Poet[/name_u]- too much. What if your kid hates poetry/reading?
[name_u]Sunset[/name_u]- too much
[name_u]Tempest[/name_u]- I love it. I don’t think its too much, even as a first
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]- not too close, if you are pronouncing it “[name_m]Thay[/name_m]-uh.” If pronouncing it “[name_f]Thea[/name_f]-uh” then yes
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u]- I like this one. It is a bit surnamey but who cares
[name_f]Winry[/name_f]- I love the anime, but even if you’re not familiar with it, its still a cute name

1 Like

My favourites are [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f]

Alden: Yes
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]: Yes, not American but I guess it’s not that hard
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]: No
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]: I don’t know who are they
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]: No
[name_f]Elsinore[/name_f]. Any nickname is avoidable, she can just say “I go by [name_f]Nell[/name_f].”
[name_u]Fiore[/name_u]: No
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]: I don’t think so, she might find it even cool to share her name with a character 'I would)
[name_u]Golden[/name_u]: Sounds too descriptive with any middle name, so I’m afraid no
[name_u]Hero[/name_u]: Hmm, probably, I guess may people doesn’t know the mythology and [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] associations so they might think it’s just a cheesy word name
Lillevi: No
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]: No
[name_f]Nephele[/name_f]: No
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]: No
[name_u]Poet[/name_u]: No
[name_u]Sunset[/name_u]: Fine as a middle
[name_u]Tempest[/name_u]. Usable, I’m personally not a fan of it though.
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]: I’m afraid yes
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u]: Unpopular opinion (I guess), prescriptive personality
[name_f]Winry[/name_f]: I don’t know the anime

1 Like

@hopeful_momma_2B
Thank you!

The correct pronunciation is BRY-eh-nee, like [name_m]Bryan[/name_m] with a y.

I really hope my kid doesn’t hate reading because I’m studying to be a writer/writing professor :grin:

I say [name_f]Thea[/name_f] “thee-uh” and I’m now thinking it’s too close.

@ethelmary
Thank you!

Bryony:
As an American, I do not have any trouble with the pronunciation of either name, and I don’t other Americans would either.

Elsinore: Certainly school friends would give her one of those nicknames, though I see [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] having stronger potential for a nickname in the Disney’s Frozen era than [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], or [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

Liv:
Short names for girls are my favorite, so I’m a little biased, however names like [name_u]Kim[/name_u] and [name_f]Liz[/name_f] are the same syllable and are hardly ever talked about as being too short so I don’t think it’ll be a problem.

Thea:
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] is very close to [name_f]Leah[/name_f], but since [name_f]Leah[/name_f] would be her aunt I don’t think it should matter too much. Similar names are only a problem if their siblings, imo. (And even then I’m still not really against it).

Winry:
I do not watch anime, however anime is widely popular so depending on the fame of the show, you might hear a lot of references; [name_f]Winry[/name_f], is a gorgeous name, though.

1 Like

I tried to do all of them! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are Lillevi and [name_f]Philomena[/name_f].
I love all as middles even if I don’t think they’re usable firsts.

[name_u]Alden[/name_u]

Too close unless you want it to be an honor name for your cousin.

[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] has a straightforward pronunciation and nn [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] will be fine.

[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]

Not dated at all, feels very current.

[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]

I don’t think she’s very well known. [name_u]Finn[/name_u] is a very sweet nickname.

[name_u]Dove[/name_u]

The bird association softens it but the sound is strong.

[name_f]Elsinore[/name_f]

I think you could avoid the nicknames if you use [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. Otherwise there’s a “nickname vacuum” and she might decide to use one of the unusable ones.

[name_u]Fiore[/name_u]

I think most Americans know this Italian word, and if it’s mispronounced it’s still a quick correction.

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]

No. She might find it super cool.

[name_u]Golden[/name_u]

Too wordy for me tbh. [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is “golden child” which sounds like an expectation of perfection.

[name_u]Hero[/name_u]

Same as above, even if [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is an established name.

Lillevi

No I love it.

[name_f]Liv[/name_f]

Nope. It feels complete.

[name_f]Nephele[/name_f]

I think she would get “neff-elle” a lot, but it’s an easy correction.

[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]

Not at all! It wouldn’t have occurred to me.

[name_u]Poet[/name_u]

Too much for me. Could be awkward if she doesn’t like poetry. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Poesy[/name_f]? Same meaning, but more subtle?

[name_u]Sunset[/name_u]

Not for me but I think it could work. It’s very “hippie” (would this be a pro or con for you?)

[name_u]Tempest[/name_u]

Same as above - minus “hippie” connotation.

[name_f]Thea[/name_f]

Unfortunately yes, unless you want it to be an honor name.

[name_u]Wilder[/name_u]

It depends on whether you pronounce it “will-der” (surname) or “wyle-der” (personality). Actually I have no idea how to pronounce this name. Hmm.

[name_f]Winry[/name_f]

I’m not familiar with it either. I think it should be fine!

1 Like

@diaper_bagge thank you!
I do like [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] and wouldn’t mind that as a nickname.

I’m not sure how popular the show is in the world of anime. It doesn’t sound like she’s a negative character though.

@acajou
Thank you!

I’m happy someone else like Lillevi! I thought it was the perfect way to get to [name_f]Liv[/name_f] but the feedback I received was lukewarm at best.

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Poesy[/name_f]. That whole [name_f]Posey[/name_f]/Posie/Posy/Poesy group just makes me think of “pocket full of posies”, meaning the plague. Cute for others, not for me.

I pronounce it Wyle-der, like [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Ingalls.

1 Like

I picked my favourite 4:
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f] - can’t see [name_f]Gaea[/name_f] being a villain in a book series being a reason not to use it. Might it come up when reading? Sure. But it’s not like it has to be a day-to-day connotation. I could see [name_m]Draco[/name_m] or something having that problem.

Hero - I love it. [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connotations and all that. Possibly a bit much for a first, I’m undecided. Could maybe feel like a slight if the child wearing it ends up a very quiet, shy type, but aren’t they heroes too?

Liv - not too short. Possibly shorter than your other names but don’t see that being a real issue.

Thea - I would say too close for me personally but the opening sounds are different enough it wouldn’t be the closest I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Good idea.
Alden no I just don’t get excited about it.
Bryony yes it’s uncommon and cute nicknames.
Darcy yes I like it, it’s sophisticated although popular in England.
Delphine yes very pretty.
Dove no it’s a deodorant I use?
Elsinore no it reminds me of Eeyore. Winnie the Pooh.
Fiore yes quirky
Gaia yes, although to me it’s very Italian.
Golden no, too wordy
Hero no, too ostentatious
Lillevi no. I stumble on the letters
Liv no I don’t like ultra short names.
Nephele no. Hmm I just not keen.
Philomena yes, really cute but useable on a girl and a woman.
Poet yes, one of the few word names I like.
Sunset no, again can’t get behind word names all that much.
Tempest yes, Shakespearean need I say more.
Thea yes, pretty, uncommon
Wilder yes, see above.
Winry yes although I see it as more boy?

1 Like

Darcy - I definitely don’t think it’s ‘dated’ on a girl. I live in [name_f]England[/name_f] where it is incredibly common for girls and personally prefer it on a boy but it’s absolutely beautiful either way :heart:

Delphine - I have no clue who [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] LaLaurie is :joy: So i’m going to say that the connection isn’t too strong!

Elsinore - I tend to think that nn’s come naturally and can’t always be forced so [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] might get thrown around occasionally but [name_f]Nell[/name_f] will most likely stick if that’s how she introduces herself. It’s so pretty!!

Thea - Maybe a little close, but not in an off-putting way.

Poet - Great as a middle name, a little too much imo for a first.

1 Like
Alden

Hmm, it depends on if you are close with your cousin but I honestly don’t think they’re too similar.

Bryony

Bryony nn Bryn is super cute. I’m not American, it definitely could make people pronounce it Brih-oh-nee but I don’t think yo should worry about it too much, Bryony is a fairly well known name.

Darcy

I think Darcy is slightly pretentious but I don’t think it’s dated.

Delphine

No. I just think of dolphins :wink: I love nn Finn!

Dove

Well, I feel like Dove works best as a middle. I either think Dove is not enough or too much on a human. I don’t think it’s too soft though. Definitely works well with your other names.

Elsinore

Elsinore could work great with nn Nell, I think you could avoid the others.

Fiore

It isn’t my intuitive pronunciation and it could be difficult.

Gaia

Completely fine. They’re spelt differently and I think it would be cool to share a name with a book villain.

Golden

It could work as a first, just about but it is a bit hippie.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites: [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Elsinore[/name_f], and [name_u]Fiore[/name_u].

I have no idea who that is without googling, so I’m going to say no – at least, not where I live.

Not at all! I think [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is so sweet. <3

Maybe for some, but it’s easily corrected and not unusable.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay! I haven’t had much time for NB this week, surprisingly!

@emelfem Thank you! I agree that all children can be heroes, extrovert or introvert!

@anon25197097 Thanks!

@MargotAbeline Thank you!

@anon47024950 Thanks!
I’m not sure I mind pretentious. I think a lot of names on my list will be seen as pretentious.

I think [name_u]Dove[/name_u] is a lovely second middle but it’s too simple as a single middle name for me. I think my first names are just too short.

@elanorelle Thank you!

2 Likes

Love this list! [name_f]My[/name_f] favourites:

Bryony ([name_f]Answer[/name_f]: [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] is cute as a nn, I’m not American and the name is familiar where I live, so I don’t know the answer to part 2)
Delphine ([name_f]Answer[/name_f]: I know a few Delphines and they have never gotten comments about the association. But if you live somewhere where the story is very familiar to people, maybe yes)
Fiore ([name_f]Answer[/name_f]: Definitely not a name I’d expect everyone to get right the first time, but I think people would remember after being corrected)
Gaia ([name_f]Answer[/name_f]: I think it would depend how old your children would be at the point of reading the books. If they’re a little older, it could be a cool thing whereas a small child would probably be confused and hurt)
Lillevi ([name_f]Answer[/name_f]: I love it too, so no)

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], but personally don’t think [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] makes sense or sounds nice as a nickname for it.

I like [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], and I don’t know who [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] LaLaurie is. I’d also have a hard time getting to [name_u]Finn[/name_u] as a nickname, myself, because of the vowel sound change, but maybe that’s just me.

I love [name_f]Gaia[/name_f]. When I’ve been in a similar situation with books that I don’t want my kids to feel weird about, I’ve decided to just make sure it isn’t the first literary association they have for that name. If your [name_f]Gaea[/name_f]-villain book is the first [name_f]Gaia[/name_f] your child ever meets in a book, I think it’d be uncomfortable. But if you source up and introduce her to three or four other literary or historical Gaias first, then I think subsequently introducing the books with a bad-guy [name_f]Gaea[/name_f] isn’t a problem at all.

I like [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and I don’t think it’s too similar for aunt-niece names.

I like [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] and I associate wildness with being nature-loving, not with being reckless or chaotic, so the personality thing doesn’t read as an issue for me.

2 Likes

Delphine - I have no clue who [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] LaLaurie is, so no!

Liv - I don’t think it’s too short at all. If [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_m]Ben[/name_m] and [name_u]Kai[/name_u] can work, then [name_f]Liv[/name_f] can too.

Nephele - I love [name_f]Nephele[/name_f]! I don’t think many people will get the pronunciation right on the first try, but it’s an easy correction and tbh I don’t think [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] is too bad pronunciation-wise. People learnt how to say [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]!

Philomena - It is definitely very grand, but I think it could still work irl – especially with a cute nn to bring it down to earth! I actually once overheard a little [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] called [name_f]Fifi[/name_f].

Poet & [name_u]Sunset[/name_u] - They’re definitely middle name territory, but I think it’d be so cool to say “[name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is [name_u]Sunset[/name_u]”. Paired with a safer first, I think they’d make some lovely combos.

Thea - [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Leah[/name_f] are very close, I think the best thing to do would be to ask if she’d mind having a niece with a very similar name to hers.

1 Like

Bryony- Bryn is a usable nickname (I love it)
Delphine- I didn’t even think of it until you brought it up., Not a strong association.
Elsinore- No I don’t think its inevitable as long as Nell is set up as her nn from the beginning however as she gets older she may choose one of those.
Fiore- ehh it’s easy to say once told but it’s not intuitive for American English speakers.
Philomena- No I like it! And love Pippa/Pippin a lot.
Tempest-I honestly love it but it is more of a statement name.
Thea- It’s fine I think
Wilder- surname name and associans with the outdoors and nature.

Middles Only:
Poet-not too much for a middle!
Hero-not too much for a middle!
Sunset-not too much for a middle!
Dove- I think it suits well in the middle and it doesn’t get lost for me.

Combos: Bryony Sunset, Elsinore Poet, Philomena Dove, Thea Wilder, Wilder Fiore

1 Like

@amal2970 thank you! I’m not sure how many people I know would think of the LaLaurie association. It might just be me because it was the first time I heard of the name [name_f]Delphine[/name_f].
I’m glad someone else likes Lillevi!

@Apodosis1 and @Gia.berry thank you!

@TeaJay thanks! I’m glad you don’t think of LaLaurie.
I’ve loved [name_u]Dove[/name_u] for a long time so naturally I’ve had people telling me to keep it in the middle for a long time lol. I’ve never been able to find a combo where it shines in the middle. It always dies and brings the first name with it. I think it’s too soft; it doesn’t do anything for soft names and can’t hold the weight of heavy names.

2 Likes