Fyvie - have you heard of this name?

I’m not sure about the spelling, but my friend and I were discussing baby names a while ago and he mentioned that he would love to call his daughter Fyvie. I think that this is a gorgeous name and I would like to know if any of you have heard of it before? He said it was Scottish, so the actual spelling could be quite different. Thanks!

I’ve searched for a good half hour and can’t find anything that’s even close, beyond the masculine [name]Fife[/name]/[name]Fyfe[/name] and the feminine [name]Fifi[/name]. I suppose you could use it as an odd sort of nickname from [name]Fiona[/name] but the sound isn’t really appealing to me. Maybe you could sell him on [name]Fiona[/name], perchance?

Fyvie reminds me of the male Yiddish name (at least I think it’s Yiddish) “Fyvush,” which was the name of Fyfush Finkel (I hope I spelled it correctly!), the star of Fiddler On The Roof.

I don’t care for Fyvie, as it sounds like the number five (five me fivey!), or the result of someone with a speech impediment trying to say “[name]Ivy[/name].”

Perhaps he’d consider [name]Ivy[/name] or even [name]Felicity[/name]?

Never heard of it-- my first thought was Fieval (sp?), the mouse in “An American Tail.” But he was definitely a boy. (Random association, I know, but I was young and it was traumatic in a “[name]Bambi[/name]” kind of way.)

Awe!!! I loved liittle Fievel! I still cry when I hear “Somewhere Out There.” (Yes, I’m a dork, and I never claimed otherwise.) :slight_smile:

No, have not heard of Fyvie either, and I am very interested in Scottish names as I married a Glaswegian, my kids are half-Scottish and I lived up there for fifteen years.

Maybe it is a nickname for [name]Fife[/name]? That would be one possibility, [name]Jill[/name].

I came across Ferelith the other day - it was in an obituary (yes, I am sad enough to scan the deaths as well as the births) and I suspect it is pronounced like [name]Meredith[/name]. Rather pretty?
I also came across Freydis, which must be a version of [name]Freya[/name].

[name]Love[/name] coming across new names!
xxx

I wonder if the name comes from Fyvie Castle in Aberdeenshire, [name]Scotland[/name]? This 13th century castle is said to be one of the most haunted places in [name]Scotland[/name] which (if you ask me) makes “Fyvie” a coooool name. :slight_smile:

The castle takes its name from the nearby village of Fyvie, a name which (according to information-britain.co.uk) is derived from “Fywin” which in turn is derived from the Gaelic flodh abhuinn meaning “wilderness by the river.”

Side note to [name]Ailsa[/name]: I truly envy you for having lived in [name]Scotland[/name] for some years. When I visited [name]Scotland[/name], I thought it was one of the most beautiful places on earth!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I have heard of it but not as a name as such. Fyvie roses are gorgeous and they grow in the park near where I live so I quite like the name as it reminds me of them.