Gaia, Romilly, Thisbe... Questions + Feedback

I’ve recently added these names to my long list and I’d love to get some general feedback. Please, be honest. I’m not emotionally attached to any of these yet, so I won’t take offense!

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f] (Could [name_f]Mila[/name_f] work as a nickname for this?)
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f], nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_f]Leela[/name_f] (Too Futurama?)
[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] (Considering to use this as a middle. I think it’d make a great alternative to [name_f]Soleil[/name_f], which I adore, but hesitant to use because it’s part of the name of the school I went to. [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] would also honor my Swedish heritage. That being said… is it way too ethnic/problematic to use?)
[name_f]Freja[/name_f] (What do you think of this spelling?)
[name_f]Delfina[/name_f] (Does it look more like a creative spelling or an ethnic variation to you?)
[name_f]Fae[/name_f] (What do you think of this spelling?)
[name_f]Saga[/name_f]
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] (Is it too close to my own name? Too cutesy?)
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f] (Too Latino for a non-Hispanic person to use?)

Also, do you prefer combos that contain two (or more) names of same style (for example, [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], both classic/traditional/vintage) or names of different styles ([name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f], classic + word name)? Why?

Thank you!

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f] - love this! Strong yet feminine.
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f] - I adore [name_f]Romilly[/name_f], but not a fan of [name_f]Mila[/name_f] sorry.
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] - love it, but worry about constant pronunciation difficulties.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f], nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] - love love love!
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] - a bit dated (80s?) to me, sorry.
[name_f]Leela[/name_f] - prefer [name_f]Leila[/name_f].
[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] - love it as a middle name!
[name_f]Freja[/name_f] - prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f].
[name_f]Delfina[/name_f] - prefer [name_f]Delphine[/name_f].
[name_f]Fae[/name_f] - love it, but prefer the spelling [name_f]Faye[/name_f].
[name_f]Saga[/name_f] - very cool as a mn
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] - love! I think I’d put it in the mn spot (I saw a Berrybaby named [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] and absolutely swooned)
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f] - a bit too Latino for me personally - I’d feel like a fraud using it!

Also, do you prefer combos that contain two (or more) names of same style (for example, [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], both classic/traditional/vintage) or names of different styles ([name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f], classic + word name)? Why?

I personally prefer names of different styles (e.g. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]) because I love a bit of spunk! For example, on my list I have [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Zenobia[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] [name_f]Poet[/name_f].

@jem, thank you so much! I think [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is gorgeous.

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]- Not really a fan of [name_f]Gaia[/name_f]. It is alright I guess, but too mythology for me.
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]- I really like [name_f]Romilly[/name_f]. I have it on my character list. [name_f]Mila[/name_f] would work (especially if you gave her a middle with an A sound at the beginning or the end). I prefer [name_f]Milly[/name_f] as a nn, but that’s just me.
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]- I love love love [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]. Which I was bold enough to use it.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f], nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]- I love [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]. Not so much [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], but I love [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] (but I don’t like it on its own so… [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is good).
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]- Not really a fan.
[name_f]Leela[/name_f]- I think [name_f]Leela[/name_f] is fine. I wouldn’t use it myself, and I prefer [name_f]Layla[/name_f]/[name_f]Leila[/name_f] or [name_f]Lela[/name_f] but [name_f]Leela[/name_f] is nice.
[name_f]Solveig[/name_f]- If you use it as a middle, it should be fine. She’ll have to spell and pronounce it for people, but it shouldn’t be a big deal. Not a fan of it myself, but that’s because it is so different/ethnic from the names I’m used to.
[name_f]Freja[/name_f]- Prefer the y spelling but the j is okay. I don’t love [name_f]Freya[/name_f], but I don’t dislike it either.
[name_f]Delfina[/name_f]- I’d prefer [name_f]Delphina[/name_f], it looks more complete to me. (but better would be [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f]! So crushing on [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f])
[name_f]Fae[/name_f]- I much prefer the [name_f]Faye[/name_f] spelling. I like [name_f]Faye[/name_f]. It is sweet and girly and fun.
[name_f]Saga[/name_f]- too wordy for me. I’d keep it as a middle.
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f]- I love [name_f]Pomeline[/name_f], I don’t think it is too cutesy at all. I think [name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] is mature sounding. I think it is different enough from your own name.
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f]- Not a fan sorry. It does sound very Hispanic to me.

As for the middles, it depends. I love some word names, but more often than not I hate word names. I think the middle should have special meaning and the styles don’t have to match.

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f] - I have finally fallen in love with G names, so [name_f]Gaia[/name_f] is very appealing to me!
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f] (Could [name_f]Mila[/name_f] work as a nickname for this?) - [name_f]Mila[/name_f] could definitely work as a nickname. I prefer is spelt [name_f]Milla[/name_f], it just feels fuller. [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] is gorgeous, and could suit a variety of personalities.
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] - I love it, it’s so spunky! And the nickname [name_f]Bea[/name_f] is lovely too.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f], nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]! I have considered adding it to my list many times.
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] - my name is [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], so I’ve never really liked [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f], until now. For some reason, I’m really grown to like it.
[name_f]Leela[/name_f] (Too Futurama?) - I’ve never watched Futurama, so it’s fine to me! I do prefer [name_f]Lila[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilou[/name_f], or just [name_u]Lee[/name_u] on it’s own, though.
[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] (Considering to use this as a middle. I think it’d make a great alternative to [name_f]Soleil[/name_f], which I adore, but hesitant to use because it’s part of the name of the school I went to. [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] would also honor my Swedish heritage. That being said… is it way too ethnic/problematic to use?) - I love it. I’ve always been interested in Swedish (and loads of other Scandinavian names) names, they’re just so cool! [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] is awesome, and since you have Swedish heritage, it works.
[name_f]Freja[/name_f] (What do you think of this spelling?) - I love the spelling, and I prefer it to [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. It’s very pretty.
[name_f]Delfina[/name_f] (Does it look more like a creative spelling or an ethnic variation to you?) - ethic variation to me, and I like the spelling a lot! it seems a bit freer, a bit younger. [name_f]Delfina[/name_f] [name_f]Freja[/name_f] would make a fabulous combo.
[name_f]Fae[/name_f] (What do you think of this spelling?) - I like [name_f]Faye[/name_f], and I’ve never really thought of [name_f]Fae[/name_f]. It’s whimsy & fairy-like, which I love.
[name_f]Saga[/name_f] - Probably my least favourite. I’m still warming to those G’s. :wink: It’d make a great middle though.
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] (Is it too close to my own name? Too cutesy?) - It might be a little close to [name_f]Polina[/name_f], but still, it’s gorgeous! In the middle spot, maybe? [name_f]Gaia[/name_f] [name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] would make a good combo.
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f] (Too Latino for a non-Hispanic person to use?) - how about [name_f]Fabienne[/name_f]? I think I prefer it to [name_f]Fabiana[/name_f], and you still have that great [name_m]Fabi[/name_m] beginning.

I’m more of a classic first, spunky/nature middle kind of person, I think. For example, I have [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Plum[/name_f] & [name_u]Marian[/name_u] [name_f]Thora[/name_f] on my list.

[name_f]Delfina[/name_f]: I don’t like it. ‘Delfin’ is the Danish spelling of dolphin and it gets a little too dolphin-y for me.
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f]: It’s nice though I prefer [name_f]Fabienne[/name_f].
[name_f]Fae[/name_f]: I’m not overtly fond of the name or its variations but I do think I prefer [name_f]Faye[/name_f] to [name_f]Fae[/name_f].
[name_f]Freja[/name_f]: [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite spelling along with Freyja. It’s the most common spelling here in Denmark so I am used to seeing it.
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]: As evident by my signature, this one is one of my all time favourite names. It’s so pretty and strong and perfect.
[name_f]Leela[/name_f]: [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t care for it, haven’t ever watched Futurama either.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]: Ravishing. A good old name with badass namesakes ([name_f]Philippa[/name_f] of Hainault, anyone?)
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f]: I really like it. Sure, it’s precious but I don’t think it’s too cotton candy cute. I don’t think it’s too close to your own name either. I would personally put it in the middle, but I think it works up front as well.
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]: I like it and it’s on my own list but to me it’s very much a middle name. For some reason, I can’t picture it as a first name whatsoever. [name_f]Mila[/name_f] could definitely work as a nickname for [name_f]Romilly[/name_f], I also like [name_u]Romy[/name_u].
[name_f]Saga[/name_f]: Another one of my favourites. I like her background in the Norse mythology and it’s just a badass name in general.
[name_f]Solveig[/name_f]: I don’t think it’s either too ethnic nor too problematic for you to use. I will, however, say that it is a terribly old-fashioned name. It’s one of the Scandinavian equivalents of [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f].
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]: It’s a really lovely name.
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]: [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t particularly care for it.

To me, as long as the names sound nice together, it doesn’t matter if they’re the same style or not.

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f] - lovely name, interesting and mature, yet spunky
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f] - yes, [name_f]Mila[/name_f] could be nickname, I personally love [name_f]Romilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] - OK name, quite lovely, but not my cup of tea
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f], nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] - see above
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] - nice name
[name_f]Leela[/name_f] - never heard about Futurama, but [name_f]Leela[/name_f] is lovely name
[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] - lovely name, maybe too exotic, but has spunk
[name_f]Freja[/name_f] - like this spelling, but I like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] spelling more
[name_f]Delfina[/name_f] - too ethnic spelling, and I don’t like the name
[name_f]Fae[/name_f] - this spelling looks mystical, but I prefer [name_f]Faye[/name_f] spelling
[name_f]Saga[/name_f] - lovely name
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] - it my be too close to your own, but I still like it
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f] - too Latino

I prefer when two names are of different styles. It usually have spunk and usually other name express first name more than some other name of same style. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is great, but [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] express spunkiness of [name_f]Clover[/name_f] and gracefulness of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] more than [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

What about [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] or [name_f]Freja[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]: I’m not a fan of this one.
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]: I’m not so keen on this one either, it’s a bit too surnameish and masculine for my taste, but [name_u]Romy[/name_u] is quite a cute nickname.
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]: It’s interesting and unusual, although I do think of Frisbees a lot when hearing it. I’m not so sure about [name_f]Mila[/name_f] being a nickname for it, but it could work I guess.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]: It has a nice flow and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] is a cute nickname.
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]: This reminds me of an old friend’s adorable sister, so I like it.
[name_f]Leela[/name_f]: [name_m]How[/name_m] would I pronounce this one? It’s quite interesting, but I don’t think I could use it. I don’t watch Futurama, so I didn’t think of the connection.
[name_f]Solveig[/name_f]: [name_u]Love[/name_u]! It has a wonderful meaning and it works well as a middle name. I would think that it’s not too ethnic for you, since you’ve said it would honour your Swedish heritage.
[name_f]Freja[/name_f]: I love it as a name, but don’t have any feelings for this spelling. I prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f].
[name_f]Delfina[/name_f]: I quite like this! It’s pretty, although I prefer [name_f]Delphina[/name_f] a spelling.
[name_f]Fae[/name_f]: I’ve never been a fan of this one and it reminds me of a woman who crashed into a car I was in, so I don’t have very good associations with it.
[name_f]Saga[/name_f]: I personally feel that this one is too tied to video gaming, but it’s cool.
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f]: I don’t think it’s too cutsie. To me, it sounds pretty.
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f]: I much prefer this to [name_f]Fabienne[/name_f]. It sounds elegant and has a nice flow to it.

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f] - I think it’s very teasable, but pretty enough.
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f] - Really cool! I love this one! [name_f]Mila[/name_f] works, yep.
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] - A bit too much for real life.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f], nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] - All right, but not my style.
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] - Not a good image for me personally.
[name_f]Leela[/name_f] - Yes, a bit Futurama.
[name_f]Solveig[/name_f] - This is one of my favourite middle name options as well! I think it’s beautiful! It might be old-fashioned in Scandinavia, but not in Iceland. If you have the Swedish connection, then go for it, but make sure you know how to say it properly first.
[name_f]Freja[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, only thing that bothers me is the popularity. I like this spelling, prefer Freyja though.
[name_f]Delfina[/name_f] - It looks like a legitimate enough spelling to me. It’s all right, not doing much for me.
[name_f]Fae[/name_f] - I think the spelling would be a hassle.
[name_f]Saga[/name_f] - I like this name but only in Icelandic. The g is too hard in English, it’s lovely and soft in Icelandic. I’m a big saga fan also :slight_smile: It does bother me slightly that it means story/history but also saw…
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] - Weirdly sounds like a hair-care product to me…
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f] - I’ve never heard it before, so I don’t know what sort of image it has. It’s all right.

Oh, I’m so sorry I forgot about this thread! I’ve been so busy studying I had no time to check the forums.

@hardertobreathe, thank you! [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] is gorgeous indeed, thanks for the suggestion!

@jasmine.lee, finally someone who likes [name_f]Delfina[/name_f]! Thank you so much for the feedback! [name_f]Fabienne[/name_f] is lovely, but I don’t think I like it as much as [name_f]Fabiana[/name_f].

@shvibziks, I know what you mean, the Russian word for dolphin sounds the same as the Danish one! I somehow still like [name_f]Delfina[/name_f]. Thank you a lot!

@sorceress, [name_f]Freja[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is lovely, thank you!

@adelina_sophia, thank you for the feedback!

@jackal, oh, I’d love to hear how Icelandic people pronounce [name_f]Saga[/name_f]! Thank you so much!