Garden?

Ok, don’t judge yet. Take a deep breath, and let it out slowly. Now, say the name Garden over and over, imagining a cute little girl or a grown woman with that name. Now, tell me what you think.

PS: I like it. I wouldn’t use it, but I like it.

i love it. seems just like a more feminine version of arden…a name which i like too! i think it would be a surprising and pleasant mn!

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of nature names and I think it would be really sweet as a middle name, like

[name]Anneliese[/name] Garden
[name]Florence[/name] Garden
[name]Kerensa[/name] Garden
[name]Cecilia[/name] Garden
[name]Annora[/name] Garden
[name]Beatrix[/name] Garden
[name]Sorrel[/name] Garden
[name]Lorelei[/name] Garden

:slight_smile:

I can see it as a middle name, not so much a fan of it up front.

I think its awful to be honest…it looks very masculine, and would be a very akward name to carry.

You have to be kidding!!

I agree, it probably wouldn’t be great as a first name. I guess it does fit in with all the Kaydens and Jaydens and what not, but its more unique.

Maybe you could look for other soft “G” names… [name]Greer[/name], [name]Grete[/name], [name]Greta[/name]…

My first thought was “don’t do this to a child”, but then I looked it up and “Garden” is actually a legitimate Basque name meaning “transparent” or “clear”. I certainly would never go for it, but at least it has some legitimacy.

No for me

Nah, I still don’t like it. I also don’t like most of the floral names of nature, so that might be it. I don’t get the “feeling” of the imagery from this as a name, it just seems odd. And I listen to the sound of it, it doesn’t sound like a garden, you actually have to think of a garden. It sounds like guarding, I hear a strong [name]GAR[/name] sound that’s in some other words like garbage, garbled… Garfunkel? If I heard someone talking about their friend Garden, I would have to interrupt and say, wait, her name is Garden??? And not in a nice way. It’s a good idea to look for a different name, and I really have nothing against gardens or gardening, and while the imagery is positive, this word as a name lacks some of what you’d be looking for while trying to be different. Overshoots the mark somewhere.

That said (always a “that said”), it sounds like [name]Arden[/name]. I don’t think [name]Arden[/name] is pretty because it’s not my style. I can’t really say it’s totally ridiculous or anything. Adding the G takes away some of what [name]Arden[/name] is and makes it into something weird and trying too hard. I feel like some word names are ok, not most, but something about Garden that sounds nicer in a sentence, and not a sentence where Garden is a person. New [name]Jersey[/name] is the Garden State - doesn’t that make New [name]Jersey[/name] sound nice? I can’t say that the imagery isn’t nice, but the word alone as a name doesn’t have any appeal to me.

I worry about word names. Sometimes they seem to work, and sometimes they don’t. I worked briefly with a woman called [name]Blue[/name], and I’ll be honest, I struggled to take her seriously in the beginning. I don’t know why [name]Blue[/name] should bother me more than [name]Scarlett[/name], but it did. I also think nature names work a bit better, and that children in this next generation will be amongst peers with names like [name]Willow[/name] or [name]Summer[/name] so Garden wouldn’t stand out so much. But for me it’s still odd. [name]Even[/name] as a middle name, it feels wrong. I like the word ‘spoon’ - I like saying it, I like the way it looks. But it would be a ridiculous name. Some nouns should just be nouns.

I can see Garden as a middle name, but I can better see [name]Garland[/name] as a first name (if it weren’t so tied to [name]Judy[/name])…

Good luck!

reminds me of old ladies and i hate it

I think it is better as a middle name…

suggestions:

[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]

to me, these names have a garden theme and are legitimate first names.

NO i just dont get it.

It feels a bit exposed to me, I can’t quite describe it. Sort of like how a garden is something to look at and be enjoyed, and is also a bit vulnerable to abuse and neglect, as well as being relatively unprotected from the storms of life.

I’m also thinking of all the biblical garden imagery which makes it not sit quite right with me for a name. I think it sounds pleasent enough, akin to ‘[name]Arden[/name]’, but I’m struggling with the meaning a bit - beautiful as it is, a garden of lovely flowers or that sort of thing it just makes me think of someone who might be easily taken advantage or perhaps on show when they’d rather not be. Sorry if that’s a bit heavy!

I could see Garden as a middle name (though I would never use it) but I’m afraid I would shudder if it were moved up to the front. I’m generally not a fan of hard ‘G’ sounds. I like [name]Arden[/name] though. I love other nature/floral names though.

I tried to do as suggested…pause, take a breath, imagine a young girl or woman named Garden. I really tried, but I just can’t. Garden just doesn’t seem like a name to me. I agree with pp that you have to picture an actual garden for it to sound nice–the sound of the word itself isn’t that lovely imo. I don’t know what it is about some of the other floral/plant names that work as names, but I don’t think Garden has it.

Honestly I love creative names but I don’t about Garden I wouldn’t reccomend it unless your’e ready to struggle helping your child with ridicule in school.