“Gay” sounding!?!

This is ridiculous to me…
I’ve been told that the name I decided on for my 2nd born son ([name_u]Kieran[/name_u]) sounds “too GAY.”
I’m sorry but I didn’t realize a name could sound gay… not that there is anything at all wrong with being gay in the first place.
According to baby name websites [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is of Irish origin, meaning “dark.” I really like the nickname [name_m]Kier[/name_m]. And I LOVE the way the names of my 2 boys sound together:
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_u]Fox[/name_u] and [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u] (still deciding on mine or fathers LN.)
Both middle names are honor names, [name_u]Julian[/name_u]’s uncle who passed shortly before he was born, and my father who is still with us but I just love him so much and want my son to carry on the name.
But I think they flow perfectly, together and respectively. And both sound good with either my last name ([name_u]Fox[/name_u]) or the father’s. Which is also monosyllabic.
Has anyone else gotten this kind of response to their chosen boy name? Too “girly,” too “gay”?

4 Likes

Names are words. Words don’t have sexualities. It’s as simple as that.
There are ignorant and hateful people out there who might call more feminine-sounding male names ‘‘gay’’ or ‘‘girly’’. But I don’t think the opinion of people like THAT should really deter anybody from using a name they love. [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] doesn’t sound feminine anyway, it’s a familiar and well-established male name with a, to me, very masculine sound. So I’m not sure how that person saw it as feminine (not that feminine = gay, but I’m guessing that’s what they were thinking).
It’s a gorgeous combination and I’d love to meet a [name_u]Kieran[/name_u].

34 Likes

What can be “gay” about it? It’s a historical name, and as emmievis said words don’t have sexualities :man_shrugging: People will find a side they don’t like on every name, there’s nothing wrong with [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]. And as [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] said, those people don’t sound like the ones to listen.

11 Likes

I know a [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] and I never thought of his name as “gay;” in fact I’ve never thought of anyone’s name as “gay.” I think it’s totally usable, and if you love it go for it!

6 Likes

[quote=“[name_f]Perpetua[/name_f], post:3, topic:366325”]
I would not take the opinion of someone who refers to things they dislike as “gay” one bit seriously; that’s really disgusting and bigoted, please don’t give this person the time of day.
[/quote]

This!

Also, [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is a perfectly nice name and I like it in the context you’ve described (with the middle names [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u]; next to [name_u]Julian[/name_u]; with a monosyllabic surname).

10 Likes

Unless the name is literally “[name_u]Gay[/name_u]”, it can’t ‘be gay’ let alone ‘too gay’.

Kieran [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u] is a great choice. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t listen to the insignificant, irrational opinions of small-minded people

13 Likes

I would not take the opinion of someone who refers to things they dislike as “gay” one bit seriously; that’s really disgusting and bigoted, please don’t give this person the time of day.
[/quote]

Seconding this. What a baffling comment.

[name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is a lovely name and I think you’ve made a good choice.

15 Likes

The “too gay” comment is at best rude and mean. I can understand thinking a name is too girly or too masculine in the sense that unisex names might read all girl or all boy to some people.

7 Likes

How can a name be gay? Let alone “too gay”? [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is a very common masculine name in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] and among the Irish diaspora. To me that comment seems both homophobic and ignorant about Irish culture.

12 Likes

Not at all. :confused: Whoever is telling you this is un poco loco, in my opinion.

Speaking of gay-ness,l et’s just consider the possibility that your child is transgender. :slight_smile: It’s an easy change to [name_f]Kiera[/name_f]. ^.^

8 Likes

@choupette & @perpetua I agree 100% with what both of you said.

2 Likes

Agree with everybody else saying not to listen to whoever said that and that they’re just projecting bigotry onto the name and being silly. [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u] is absolutely stunning, by the way, and I love [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] with [name_u]Julian[/name_u]!

6 Likes

I agree with everyone else here. A name can’t be “gay” and it’s pretty ignorant of someone to say that. Also [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u] is an amazing combo and works perfectly with [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_u]Fox[/name_u]! I definitely wouldn’t let an insensitive comment that like stop you from using such a wonderful name.

6 Likes

[/quote]

I came here to say this and @Perpetua worded it perfectly

3 Likes

Thirding @Perpetua. Anyone who thinks it’s acceptable to make comments like that is clearly a terrible judge of what’s appropriate, whether that’s a name or anything else. I’d take this as a point in [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]’s favour :+1:

It’s a great name and sounds lovely in the full combination and with his brother’s name. Good luck!

9 Likes

It’s honestly a bit ridiculous to think that a name could sound gay. [name_u]Gay[/name_u] people have whatever name they’ve always had (at least most of the time.) One thing I have noticed is that names like [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] seem to appeal to trans people, but I definitely don’t think it’s an issue.

3 Likes

Ugh I’m never a fan of telling names to others beforehand so I’m not really an expert on receiving feedback from others beforehand. When you received this feedback did you happen to ask for more of an explanation? by your post was this just a way of saying the name sounds feminine? I do think some names on boys can sound overly feminine for my tastes… such as [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] or [name_u]Florian[/name_u]… just not my personal style. However, your name I dont necessarily associate with a femine vibe especially when paired with [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u]. I somewhat see that as saying [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] or [name_m]Gunnar[/name_m] is feminine. Maybe the one thing I’m thinking is that the first syllable in the name could pair a slight similar sound to the word “queer”. But thats in a over thinking it trying to find the reason for the comment type thinking…

1 Like

Ignore those ignorant comments.

5 Likes

I would tell that person that I no longer respect their opinion for using the term “gay” as negative in any context.

13 Likes

Names can sound more feminine or masculine based on our associations - we consider names that end with “a” or “ette” or “lie” to be feminine and names with harsher sounds to be masculine. This isn’t always the case, of course. Names are varied. Everything can be gendered - why is blue for boys now? It used to be the opposite. Any person who calls a name “gay” is backwards and ignorant and massively uneducated. If you want a masculine name, of course, sure, go for it. A feminine name, same response. Everybody will have their opinions on how names sound. But to call a name “gay” is beyond juvenile and stupid. Many people don’t share their children’s names (like myself!) until they’re born so nobody can give their opinion. Your child, your choice. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you find some better friends :slight_smile:

4 Likes