Gemma vs. Brigette

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], everyone!

This is my first pregnancy and I am having a terribly hard time picking out a baby girl name. Right now (key words) my favorites are [name_f]Brigette[/name_f] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. Which do you prefer out of the two?

Would it be weird to spell it the [name_m]French[/name_m] way “[name_f]Brigitte[/name_f]”, but pronounce it the American way?

I appreciate any feedback :slight_smile:

My favorite is [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. I just love that name!!

For [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f], I personally prefer the Gaelic spelling [name_f]Brighid[/name_f], but this way is very pretty too.

I really prefer [name_f]Bridgette[/name_f], although I prefer the [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] spelling:) there is nothing wrong with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] either…just doesn’t grab me like [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] does… good luck…

I really like both names. I also prefer the [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] spelling. [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f] would probably cause a little confusion, but I don’t think it would be too weird. We strongly considered [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] and got tons of positive feedback about it.

I really like both names. I also encourage the [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] spelling. [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] feels more classic and sophisticated. [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] is a but more bubbly.

I prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] with that spelling. An uncommon spelling means she will deal with frequent misspellings of her name, which will add some stress to her life.

P.S. I have not been a fan of Gemma, but must say that I have begun to warm up to it. So, I think it is a fine choice too.

I actually adore [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f] and think it can be pronounced both ways, whether it’s “bridget” or “bri-ZHEET”.
In [name_u]America[/name_u] every says “[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]” ([name_f]Brigitte[/name_f]) [name_f]Bardot[/name_f], so why stop now?

Thank you, everyone. I think I will stick to the traditional spelling of [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] if I choose that name. I am still torn, but am happy that both names received positive reviews!

[name_f]Brigette[/name_f] will be pronounced as [name_f]Bri[/name_f]-jet or [name_f]Bri[/name_f]-get instead of [name_f]Bri[/name_f]-git. I prefer [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f].

I like both, I vote for [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f]. While I dont like [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], I love the [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f] spelling.

I don’t mcuh like [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. Here in the UK, it was extremely popular for my generation (20-25 years ago), kind of like [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] or [name_f]Amy[/name_f] in the US. I much prefer both [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Jemima[/name_f].

I really like both [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] and [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f], but I’m not sure about your [name_f]Brigette[/name_f] spelling - I think it would cause confusion as it’s not a usual spelling I’ve seen. If you want the usual English pronunciation “[name_f]BRID[/name_f]-jet”, I’d spell it either [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] or, if you must have the -ette ending, [name_f]Bridgette[/name_f] (though this looks a little contrived to me). If you spell it [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f], I’d use the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation “brizh-EET”, which I think is very lovely too.

I prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] unless, but am partial to the spelling of [name_f]Brigit[/name_f].