Geographical Names?

There’s a lot of names that I love which are inspired by locations. Some of my favourites are:

[name_u]Sydney[/name_u] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] (for a girl)
[name_f]India[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (for a girl)
[name_u]Roma[/name_u] (for a girl)
[name_m]Roman[/name_m] (for a boy)
[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] (for a boy or girl)
[name_m]Austin[/name_m]
[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_u]Camden[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] (for a boy or girl)
[name_u]Cairo[/name_u]

What do you think? And are there any other names that you adore that are inspired by locations?

I love the sounds of [name_u]Roma[/name_u] & [name_u]Cairo[/name_u] from your lists.

The only reason I love the names [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] or [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] are for my beloved St. [name_m]Augustine[/name_m], [name_f]Florida[/name_f] where I lived for 6 years, and hope to live again.

I also like the name [name_m]Gable[/name_m] to honor the city of [name_f]Coral[/name_f] Gables where I was born.

Other place names I happen to like…
[name_f]Palma[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
Alora

My daughter’s middle name is a place name, though it is actually an old family name on her father’s side (Venezi@ and V3nice are used often). I definitely would not have used it without that connection however.

My other place name love is [name_f]Odessa[/name_f], which I would use as a feminine form of [name_m]Odysseus[/name_m]. I like that connection rather than thinking of it as a place name exclusively.

Many place names I don’t automatically view as place names: Syndey is just as much a name as a place for me, as is [name_u]Hudson[/name_u], for example. [name_m]Lincoln[/name_m] reminds me more of [name_m]Abraham[/name_m] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] I connect to the mythical creature.

They usually don’t bother me. I do give an “uh…” to country names like [name_f]China[/name_f], [name_f]Malaysia[/name_f], [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], etc and major city names like [name_u]London[/name_u], [name_m]Berlin[/name_m], [name_m]Rome[/name_m], etc that are chosen “just because.”

[name_u]Roma[/name_u] has a lovely sound, but reminds me of ‘aroma’… [name_m]Roman[/name_m] is nice (and [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], with a similar sound, is beautiful) but the rest aren’t my style at all, and sound a bit trendy in my opinion. [name_f]India[/name_f] doesn’t even register with me as a place name initially - I would think of the Indias I know first of all - but I think it’s different in [name_f]England[/name_f].

I knew a [name_u]Cairo[/name_u] once, she was really nice. I love [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] (2nd favourite boys name- although it reminds me more of the mythological creature), [name_m]Austin[/name_m] (although I prefer [name_u]Austen[/name_u]), [name_f]India[/name_f], and [name_u]Roma[/name_u] is nice.
Other place names I really like are:
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (favourite boys name- there are some (2 :p) great place names for boys!)
[name_f]Venezia[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
Illyria (Does this account?)
[name_f]Thessaly[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]

I like:
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_u]Indiana[/name_u]
[name_f]Alaska[/name_f]

My favorite place names:

In the U.S.:
[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] (g)
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] (either)
[name_f]Alaska[/name_f]
[name_u]Indiana[/name_u] (g)
[name_f]Arizona[/name_f]
[name_m]York[/name_m] (b)
[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m] (b)
[name_m]Francisco[/name_m]
[name_u]Texas[/name_u] (b)
[name_m]Houston[/name_m] (either)
[name_u]Dallas[/name_u] (either)
[name_u]Denver[/name_u] (b)
[name_u]Memphis[/name_u] (b)
[name_u]Bryn[/name_u] (Mawr, g)
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u]

Around the world:
[name_f]Ireland[/name_f]
[name_f]Vienna[/name_f]
[name_f]India[/name_f]
[name_f]China[/name_f]
[name_m]Britain[/name_m]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u] (g)
[name_u]Milan[/name_u] (g)
[name_m]Rome[/name_m]/[name_m]Roman[/name_m] (b)
[name_u]Brazil[/name_u] (b, gp)
[name_u]Morocco[/name_u] (b)
[name_u]Cairo[/name_u] (b)
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]

Oh and turkey! Jk I am hungry though…

I was born in [name_u]Sydney[/name_u], Australia and I love [name_u]Sydney[/name_u] as a girls name. I heard it as a character on a TV show when I was young and it stuck. I think it was my first real experience of a ‘boys name as a girls name’- I’d heard of [name_u]Sidney[/name_u] on men. I think I like the sound too because I am attracted to similar names like [name_f]Sidonie[/name_f].

For males I like best:

[name_u]Tangier[/name_u]
[name_u]Persia[/name_u]
[name_m]Dresden[/name_m]
[name_m]Quebec[/name_m]
[name_m]Laramie[/name_m]
[name_m]Boston[/name_m]
[name_m]Durango[/name_m]
[name_m]Charleston[/name_m]
[name_m]Houston[/name_m]
[name_m]Bedford[/name_m]
[name_m]Vermont[/name_m]
Zealand
[name_u]Peru[/name_u]
[name_m]Israel[/name_m]
[name_u]Galway[/name_u]
[name_u]Donegal[/name_u]
[name_u]Kyoto[/name_u]
[name_m]Dublin[/name_m]
Mull
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
Hebrides
[name_m]Oxford[/name_m]
[name_m]Mojave[/name_m]
Orkney
Shetland
[name_u]Sweden[/name_u]
[name_u]Harbor[/name_u]
[name_u]Haven[/name_u]
[name_m]Zaire[/name_m]

For females I like best:
[name_f]Geneva[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucerne[/name_f]
[name_f]Corsica[/name_f]
[name_f]Scotia[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Russia[/name_f]
[name_f]India[/name_f]
[name_f]China[/name_f]
[name_f]Scotland[/name_f]
[name_f]Caledonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Maine[/name_f]
[name_f]Alaska[/name_f]
[name_f]Arizona[/name_f]
[name_f]Florida[/name_f]
[name_f]Fjord[/name_f]
[name_f]Capri[/name_f]
[name_u]Ceylon[/name_u]

I absolutely [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the name [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], you’ll see its in my signature. Especially since my family has Irish heritage. I also like [name_m]Roman[/name_m].

It’s funny how some names are obviously place names, like [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], and others you barely think about the place that inspired the name. Like my sister-in-law just named her daughter [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], and I don’t think she thought of her being named after the city, she just liked the name. I also know an [name_m]Austin[/name_m], a [name_u]Hudson[/name_u], and a [name_u]Sydney[/name_u], and these I think of as just names. Why does this happen, from being used so much, whereas [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], etc. is more uncommon?