Georgia? How popular is it?

My husband and I are considering the name [name]Georgia[/name] for our future baby girl. I just don’t want her to be [name]Georgia[/name] M. in school (because I grew up as and [name]Lindsey[/name] Y. and I LONGED for a name where I wasn’t one of many).

So, I know it is ranked 312 and but realistically, how popular is it? [name]Do[/name] you who have kids know any in your kids classes, playgroups etc.? And do you guys think it will become much more popular than it is now?

I love [name]Georgia[/name], too! :slight_smile: I only know of two other Georgias, one who is a teenager, and one who is around ten or so. It was ranked #294 in 2007, but I don’t think that #294 to #312 is a big enough drop to rest assured that [name]Georgia[/name] won’t become more popular. For what it’s worth, I can’t see it becoming the next [name]Emma[/name], but I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I only know one [name]Georgia[/name].

It’s funny, I loathe the name [name]George[/name] (family name) but I adore [name]Georgia[/name].

If I were pregnant [name]Georgia[/name] would be on my very shortest list for girls along with [name]Veronica[/name] and [name]Melina[/name]. [name]Leona[/name] wouldn’t be on my list because she is too much like my daughter [name]Laura[/name]'s name. Otherwise [name]Leona[/name] would be on my list plus [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Norah[/name].

We’re considering [name]Georgia[/name] too. :slight_smile: I don’t think it’s too popular. I’m not worried about it being the next [name]Kaitlin[/name] or [name]Makayla[/name], that’s for sure.

I absolutely love [name]Georgia[/name]! I’ve never even had the pleasure of meeting one myself :slight_smile:

I’m not around as many kids as other people, but I keep trying to tell people that popularity seems overstated in most cases. If 0.0514% of baby girls were named [name]Georgia[/name] last year, does it seem very likely she will have to use her last initial? It may happen. Someone may be in the same grade of a very small school named [name]Georgia[/name] and go along with your daughter every grade until they graduate. If the school is larger, they won’t always be in the same class. That probably won’t happen, but I don’t say there wouldn’t be another [name]Georgia[/name] in the school in another grade. Names that aren’t in the top 50 (to be extremely conservative with my maths) have a definite non-zero but very very low probability of sharing a classroom with someone who has the exact same name in one or more years. No doubt [name]Emma[/name] is likelier to have this “problem” every year. [name]Georgia[/name] would not unless you send her to a one-room schoolhouse.

Another useful statistical measure is the number 1,056. That’s how many girls named [name]Georgia[/name] last year in the US. That’s about 21 per state. You can check the Popular Baby Names site for a more meaningful calculation in your state and anywhere you think you might move or have to transfer. In my state, the most popular name was [name]Ava[/name] - 470 Avas born last year. Another number is 8,526. That’s how many Georgias were born and named in this whole decade. That’s about 171 per state. Also note, it appears to be slipping in popularity over the last few years nationally.

Sorry I can’t help you anecdotally.

Okay. Thanks for the input. It is certainly growing on me more and more. I started a new job part time at my church preschool and asked some of the little kids if they had any friends named [name]Georgia[/name] and they all said “no”. And only one of the other teachers knew a [name]Georgia[/name].

Anyone else have some insight?

i haven’t run into a georgia here - def. none in my daughter’s daycare/school.

In another thread it came up that certain names rise faster than others and stay popular longer than some. It occurs to me a name around 300 can go up to 150 or so by the following year. However, and don’t get mad at me if I’m wrong, [name]Georgia[/name] just doesn’t strike me as having a sound everyone favors. If they’re going to make a list, maybe they will not use [name]Georgia[/name]. When they have several kids, maybe they will feel more comfortable with the name in a few years or one of many other names.

When I think, where did [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name] come from, I contemplate [name]Georgia[/name] just not counting among the types of names that come in the top 10, but there are a lot of stale names on the way down that are more popular than [name]Georgia[/name], which could then rise. When I hear names like [name]Ava[/name] being popular, I can understand, and it’s the #1 in Massachusetts where I live. [name]Chloe[/name] seems to have just struck the right chord, [name]Georgia[/name] would have to be that strong a choice for people, I just don’t see it. They seem to have the same offbeat but pretty sound that appeals to people who don’t want just another [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Ava[/name]. I don’t know that [name]Georgia[/name] actually does appeal to many parents or will when they finalize the name of their child. [name]Just[/name] a gut feeling.

I don’t know if statistics are available for the early part of this year, but there may be a lot more Georgias than last year, if a name like [name]Madison[/name] is any indication how fast a name can rise in popularity. So I do apologize for quoting last year’s statistics to be indicative of how popular [name]Georgia[/name] may be in years to come. It just doesn’t strike me as a very popular choice, even though everyone seems to like it pretty well.

[name]Jordan[/name] for a girl peaked at 40 and is last year #130 down 30 spots since the year before. It strikes me as a similar name, but within the boys names or surnames for girls trend which is still popular in other names, but which also makes [name]Georgia[/name] sound less weird than it did before, encouraging more parents to go ahead and choose it. It has a lot of positive imagery for people, is a real name, may be used to honor a male [name]George[/name] in the family or a location of favor. I still think it won’t get extremely popular, but it may just hit the nail on the head for a lot of parents this year and next, enough for its popularity to rise significantly.

I still say, look to the statistics of a name currently at position 50/100/150/200 and imagine how many might attend your daughter’s school on the average, as to how likely she would have to use her last initial.

We are naming our daughter [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] after my mom [name]Georgia[/name]. My mom loves her name and has only met a couple other Georgias in her life. It’s a name that could become more popular but I don’t think it will be the next [name]Ava[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name]. It is more popular in other countries though. I think you should go for it. It’s an absolutely gorgeous name.

I think the popularity of [name]Georgia[/name] depends on where you live> when you look on the social security web site or baby name wizard press on your state to find out what its ranked in your state. I live in Los angles [name]CA[/name] (moms here think they set name trends). In classes, play ground and daycare i have heard many [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Georgina[/name], georgette and [name]Georgiana[/name]. Also [name]Gianna[/name] is very popular and similar.