Georgiana

What is your opinion on this name?

I really liked it and would consider using it, but have been a little bit put off as many people have already said they don’t really like it, or think it sounds too “posh”.

Help!

P.S. What do you think of it with the MN [name]May[/name]?

I like this name, but I did not know what the proper pronunciation of it was until I watched the film “The Duchess”. If you are seriously considering this name, you may want to watch this film or read the book on which it is based to learn more about one of your child’s 18th century namesakes. The name does sound quite royal & posh to me. But that doesn’t bother me.

I also saw the film The Duchess, but I didn’t care for it being pronounced Jor-gee-na. I have heard it prounounced Jor-janna.

You might want to check out the post “Help - my family hates the name I love” started by [name]Krista[/name], also under girls’ names. Its all about [name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name], both beautiful names in my opinion. I pronounce [name]Georgiana[/name] it with the jee sound in the middle, but I have no idea what is really correct, or if all pronunciations go.

[name]Gee[/name] is prounounced Jee as in [name]Geena[/name] [name]Davis[/name].

I just posted this same issue yesterday!! Isn’t it frustrating? I don’t understand why people are not more in love with this name! I got some wonderful advice under the post “Help my family hates the name I love”. [name]Georgiana[/name] is stunning. The reason I became partial to [name]Georgina[/name] instead is because of the pronunciation issues this name may have and felt like I was already fighting an uphill battle. Go with your heart :slight_smile:

I really love [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]May[/name]! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I think [name]Georgiana[/name] is beautiful and it reminds me of [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Darcy[/name] form Pride and Prejudice. It’s not really on the radar in [name]America[/name], but I think that’s different in [name]England[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name] (as well as [name]Georgia[/name] - breaks my heart how popular it is in the UK now - and [name]Georgina[/name]). I’d pronounce it Jor-jee-ah-na, but I could be wrong. I’ve loved [name]Georgina[/name] since my parents’ friends had a little girl with the name, and [name]Georgiana[/name] as another poster said, reminds me of [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Darcy[/name] in P&P.
For me, this is similar to [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Louisa[/name] - classic, beautiful, feminine but somehow quite friendly too. Gorgeous.

i’m not usually a fan of masculine names turned feminine with “ana”, “etta”, or “ina” on the end… but this one is an exception to the rule… i [name]LOVE[/name] it…
it does sound a little posh… but that’s ok…
[name]Georgiana[/name] [name]May[/name] is an amazingly beautiful name…

[name]Georgiana[/name] [name]May[/name] is a beautiful name

I would pronounce it as [name]George[/name] Jee [name]Ah[/name] Nah. I have no idea if that is correct though.

I have always loved this name but didn’t have the guts to add it to my list. So I am rooting for you! go for it. It is beautiful, classic, and very elegant.

I love [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]May[/name], and I would pronounce it this way, too. I also don’t know if this is the correct pronunciation.

I love [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]May[/name], and I would pronounce it this way, too. I also don’t know if this is the correct pronunciation.[/quote]

I’d pronounce it this way too. Are we right? Very pretty name and love it paired with [name]May[/name].

I was under the impression that this spelling is pronounced Geor-jayn-uh. I think I read that on a previous nameberry thread. Beautiful name!

I love the name.

I would pronounce it geor-jayn-ah, which is the original pronunciation.

I love it. But I pronounce it like one other reply said: [name]George[/name]-jee-ahna.

I like this name. I thought it was jor-jee-ana. It’s rarely heard in the US but I did have a high school friend with this name. I always thought it was a pretty, sweet, old fashioned named. I also think it sounds spunky. I like [name]Georgina[/name] even more. Go with the name you like, it will grow on your family. Once they see her cute little face it won’t matter, they will not be able to imagine her with another name.