Getting cold feet on Eden's twin brother's name

[name]Hi[/name] namers.
I’m having b/g twins in [name]March[/name]. You all were a great help in choosing our girl name, and I thought we had our boy name for sure, but I’m getting cold feet so I’m back for advice.
Quick background
Our older DD is [name]Wren[/name]. I don’t like to post her full name, but it is worth mentioning that her nickname is [name]Lulu[/name] (from her mn).
Our girl twin will be [name]Eden[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
Our ln starts w/ J and is a two syllable, common ln

We had picked out [name]Vale[/name] for our boy. Dug it out of a family tree, a gr-gr-gr relative. Mostly, the family tie was just an excuse to pick it, bc we really like the nature meaning of it and the unique sound. In fact, [name]Vale[/name] is the first and only name both DH and I have ever really loved together. As recently as a month ago, I thought it was simply the most perfect name in the world for our son.

And then I made the mistake of telling people. :frowning:
Well, apparently, unknown to me, said relative went by his mn, and no one living actually remembers him, so no one has emotional ties to the name and they’re not too keen on the choice. (let it be said NO ONE liked [name]Wren[/name] when we picked it, they’re a family of very traditional namers). They say [name]Vale[/name] is “not a name, weird, bad, not fair to do to a boy” and on and on.

So, now I’m getting cold feet. [name]Worth[/name] mentioning, DH still loves [name]Vale[/name]. In fact, he’d probably kill me if he knew I was seriously considering asking for a change, bc we said we were set :oops: We haven’t picked a mn yet, but are looking for a classic male name that sounds nice w/ [name]Vale[/name].

Okay. Here’s where you all come in.
I’d like your input on three things.

• Can you tell me what you think of [name]Vale[/name]? If you like it, can you tell me why? If you don’t, why not?
    I know it is out there, but does it seem useable? I think I can disregard my family’s opinion just fine if I know a larger mass of namers think that it is at least a acceptable name.

• Suggestions for a mn for [name]Vale[/name]. Looking for a classic boy name and not coming up with anything off the family tree. We are only looking for one mn for our boy (in our families, only women have two mns)

• If you don’t like [name]Vale[/name], suggestions for another boy name to go with [name]Eden[/name] and [name]Wren[/name] ([name]Lulu[/name]). I really would like the name to evoke the same naturey, light spirit as [name]Eden[/name] and [name]Wren[/name].
    Thought it might be helpful to include our short list and our long list so you can see what names we’ve been over. If you like a short-list name, please do let me know.

Short List (these are the ones DH and I both agreed on)
[name]Vale[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Bram[/name] (okay, actually, DH thinks [name]Bram[/name] is okay, but he prefers [name]Vale[/name] then [name]Asher[/name])
[name]North[/name] (this one is barely on the short-list bc DH wasn’t really into it, but it didn’t get completely nixed)

[name]Long[/name] List (these are all nixed for various reasons, but thought they’d help give you an idea of taste and where we’ve been)
[name]Lucien[/name]
[name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Fabian[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Sacha[/name]
[name]Birch[/name]
[name]Cedar[/name]
[name]Ash[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Gale[/name]

[name]TIA[/name]!

I didn’t really look at your list of new name options, but I wanted to comment about “cold feet” and the sometimes dreaded “telling people the name” before birth. We told friends and family our top name choices many months before the girls were born – no one seemed excited and some even made bad comments. This negativity triggered DH to have cold feet on the names and even go so far as to say he never liked them! So, we decided not to use those names because of DH’s cold feet and my…well I guess I didn’t really love the names enough to fight for them. We kept looking for more names and even though it backfired with the first names, I did continue to ask family’s input. There were times when a name would come up though and it got mixed reviews at first, but I’d “fight for it” – I think that’s what I learned through the naming process this time around. Some names (names DH and I both truly loved and felt right to us) were names we fought for or could see past criticism…or tried to get people on board about. Names that maybe were just a passing fad to us, were names I didn’t feel compelled to justify to family and friends. So, if [name]Vale[/name] is the name you both love and the name feels right to you, go with it! People will get over it…and from my experience, rather quickly…once the babies are born.

I think you need to ignore the comments and follow your heart. If [name]Vale[/name] was a bad name, I wouldn’t be encouraging that, but it is a great name! We had very mixed reactions with both our daughter’s names, but it didn’t stop us, and I am so happy it didn’t! We actually were close to naming my first daughter a “safer” name that everyone seemed to like…but I can tell you I would hate it now, and I would forever regret not going with “our” name. But we went with our name and family adjusted, and now everyone loves it and can’t see her name anything different. [name]Even[/name] my [name]MIL[/name], who once was telling us that it would “be awful to do that to her”; she is now the one who gushes about my daughter’s name the most. When they are out together, people compliment my [name]MIL[/name] on her granddaughter’s name – so much so that my mother-in-law now makes a point to tell people her name, because she loves the reactions. I can honestly say that she is proud of my daughter’s name now, even though she was the one who intially fought it the most. People love hearing a name that they don’t hear very often. Nothing against [name]Ava[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], etc (those are all great names), but people love hearing names that are fresh and something they don’t hear every day (as long as it isn’t too out there, which [name]Vale[/name] is not! :wink: )

I adore the name [name]Vale[/name]. It reminds me of [name]Cale[/name], [name]Kael[/name], [name]Dale[/name] and [name]Gale[/name], but SO much better. I don’t think it is too “out there” at all, and I feel it is very usable! It’s not like you are naming him Darth Vader. I love how [name]Vale[/name] is easy to pronounce. I see it as a strong name with a quiet, sweet side. When I picture a [name]Vale[/name], I think of a very smart boy that is also athletic and funny. I really do think it is a great name! I also have good associations because of [name]Vail[/name], [name]Colorado[/name] – one of the best ski areas in the US! I like the spelling [name]Vale[/name] as a name, though…and also separates him from that association (people won’t think you are naming him after the ski area…nothing wrong with that, either, though!) In all honestly, I would love to meet a [name]Vale[/name], and would not think his name is “weird” at all!

Middle names? I think you are right about something classic, familiar, and not off the family tree.
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Christopher[/name] (my favorite)
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Anthony[/name] (love this!)

I am not going to suggest any other first names, because I love [name]Vale[/name] and think you should stick with it! I love it so much with [name]Eden[/name] and [name]Wren[/name]/[name]LuLu[/name], as well!
Good luck!

I love the name [name]Vale[/name]! I’ve never heard it before, but I acutally had Vice on my list–which is somewhat similar. I think it is completely usable and sounds great with [name]Eden[/name] (great name!) and [name]Wren[/name] (I love this too!).

My son’s name is [name]Boston[/name], and my entire family was completely against the idea. We got everything under the sun to convince us not to use it ("[name]Boston[/name] baked beans", “I’ll bring some red socks to the hospital for you”, “Bossy”. I went as far as changing his middle name from [name]James[/name] to [name]Nicholas[/name] because my sister-in-law said she refused to call him [name]Boston[/name] and would call him BJ. I fixed that quick!) :slight_smile: Anyway, the point is – they all love it now, and if they still don’t love it, they haven’t said a word to me. I have had more compliments on his name and I love it.

You will love [name]Vale[/name]! [name]Just[/name] go with it!

I can’t think of any good mn options because I’m really picky and don’t like a whole lot of traditional boys names (except [name]James[/name], [name]Matthew[/name], and [name]Nicholas[/name]–which don’t sound perfect with [name]Vale[/name]), but I would try to find something 3 syllables or more if I were you. Those tend to flow best (i.e. [name]Vale[/name] [name]Christopher[/name], [name]Vale[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]).

I like [name]Vale[/name]. It sounds masculine to me, and doesn’t rhyme with anything bad. I don’t really see a concrete downside to the name. If that is what you and your husband feel is ‘right’, then use it.

Would you regret not using this name if you changed it due to family disapproval? Would you have regretted using something different for [name]Wren[/name]'s name, since your family wasn’t keen on that one either?

[name]Vale[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Walter[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Gregory[/name]

I don’t see anything bad with the name [name]Vale[/name]. If you include a traditional middle name, and little [name]Vale[/name] doesn’t like the name [name]Vale[/name], then he can go by his middle name and keep up family traditions.

I will say that the softer, vowel-y sound of [name]Vale[/name] makes me want to pair it with a more consonant rich (or perhaps just leading consonant) middle name.

[name]Vale[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Christopher[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Gregory[/name]
etc.

I really like [name]Vale[/name], especially with [name]Eden[/name]. It’s like some hidden valley paradise you’re invoking for them.

I like [name]Vale[/name]! I have a student right now named [name]Vail[/name] who is a great kid. I like your spelling better though.

[name]Vale[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] was my first thought and it has a great flow to it!

[name]Vale[/name] is a FANTASTIC name. I’ve been a name lover for quite a long time and feel like I’ve seen even the unique names at one point or another but this one is completely new to me. [name]LOVE[/name] IT!

What is your general preference for middle names?

I don’t believe in giving the names away ahead of time. My mother made that mistake with my name, which was unusual at the time, and she said she always regretted telling people. My family made rude comments- said it wasn’t a real name. She said after i was born however-and she told them the name people reacted completely differently like- wow what a cool name and a few of her friends even used it for their own girls. I guess growing up hearing that story I have always kept my names closely guarded (no kids yet) and knowing what a name-head I am it drives people crazy that I won’t even give them a hint. When I have children- they will know. Haha.

Anyhow…I say stick with [name]Vale[/name]. When he is born everyone will love it and I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a new crop of little [name]Vale[/name]'s springing up in your town over the next few years. :smiley:

I think I remember you trying to pick [name]Vale[/name] - I love it. And I esp. love the previous poster’s comment about their own special paradise (without being blatant!)

And thank you for positive reinforcement to my view of not telling ANYONE save my husband the name we choose!!

So:

1. Your husband loves it
  2. You love it and
  3. You are only considering changing it b/c of bad vibes from others.
  4. Others who, it should be mentioned, have NOT spent the loving time and effort that you and your husband have in choosing the name in the first place and therefore
  5. Should not be considered experts. You should!! (and maybe us berries lol)

I want to second some fantastic middle name suggestions:
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Geoffrey[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Robert[/name]

You know what you should do, USE [name]VALE[/name]. You love the name your husband loves the name and that is all that matters. Everyone else probably doesn’t want you to use it cause secretly they love it and are jealous they didn’t think of it first. You need to listen to your gut. [name]Vale[/name] is such a great name, I think it has a classic more modern feel to it. Which goes well with the classic [name]Eden[/name] and the more modern [name]Lulu[/name].

for MN’s I like

[name]Vale[/name] [name]Asher[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Lucien[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Arden[/name] (I like this one the best, it has a really nice feel to it. I just love all the names you like LOL :smiley: )
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Bram[/name] (I like it as a MN more than a first name and it goes with [name]Vale[/name] nicely.)

Another one I like is

[name]Vale[/name] [name]Greggory[/name] - I think someone mentioned it. It has a nice feel to it. If your last name is what I think it is, it will flow nicely.

[name]Just[/name] to reiterate you don’t have to worry about what other people think. Once the baby is born, people will love the name even if they don’t now and they will realize how wrong they were.

wow, to be honest, I was NOT expecting to get such a warm reaction to [name]Vale[/name].
okay, I think I’m mostly convinced. Although, really, I do want to hear from people who don’t like- I want to know if my family is just fussy :stuck_out_tongue:

For those who have mentioned itr- ugh, yeah, I shouldn’t have told so early. Honestly, we didn’t tell with [name]Wren[/name] until after birth and apparently my family doesn’t respect the “don’t say anything bad after the baby is born” rule bc they were nasty about her name AFTER she was born. that’s part of why we call her [name]Lulu[/name], bc in those first few months after she was born, I just couldn’t deal with the nasty running commentary about her name, yk? I didn’t expect it, bc everyone says no one will say mean things AFTER the baby is named, but, apparently, that’s not true in my family :frowning: [name]Rude[/name] and totally uncalled for, but there it is. I just don’t think it is possible to avoid it, so i was hoping getting over with it now would help. I think, bolstered with a group of you telling me it IS an acceptable name, I feel more confident defending it. :smiley:

Play middle names with me if you don’t mind? I’m TOTALLY stuck.

[name]Both[/name] DH and I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Lucien[/name]/[name]Lucian[/name] at least as much as [name]Vale[/name]- plus, how cool if your name means [name]Valley[/name] of light??
Does [name]Vale[/name] [name]Lucian[/name] work at all? [name]Vale[/name] [name]Luca[/name]? We honestly would use [name]Lucien[/name] before [name]Vale[/name] except for the fact we call [name]Wren[/name] [name]Lulu[/name] (and she calls herself that and she’s going to feel displaced enough by newborn twins, we don’t need to take her nn away, too!)

In my BIG classical-naming fam, we try not to duplicate names in the same generation. So, out but good suggests bc of family names are [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Nathanial[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Gregory[/name], [name]Frederick[/name]…
We’re trying to avoid A, J and D middle names bc of initials.

Here’s what I’ve been thinking
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Lucian[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Luca[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Bram[/name] (not the best for flow tho, is it?)
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Mathias[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Soren[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Graham[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Rowan[/name] (too unisex?)
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Loren[/name] (too unisex probably)

okay, namers. Hit me with your best middle name shot to match [name]Eden[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]. I’m only inspired by [name]Vale[/name] [name]Lucian[/name] or [name]Vale[/name] [name]Luca[/name], but flow-wise the double L is kind of difficult, do you think? Plus, I kind of feel like the mn should be more in line with uber-popular [name]Sophia[/name], but I might be overthinking this at this point. :oops:

[name]Eden[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] & [name]Vale[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] are killer! Amazing! Other middle name ideas for [name]Vale[/name] could be:
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Everett[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Evander[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Ryder[/name]

I’ll think of more and come back to you! I particularly like [name]Vale[/name] [name]Everett[/name] though!

I absolutely 100% [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Vale[/name]. I think it goes well with [name]Wren[/name] (lulu) and [name]Eden[/name]. Kudos to you for going your own way and balking the ‘safe’ traditionalists out there.

I’m having the same struggle with my ‘unsafe’ name choices. Go with your heart. If your heart says ‘[name]Vale[/name]’, then carry on with reckless abandon :wink:

[name]LOVE[/name] your names!

I love the name [name]Vale[/name]. I think it matches perfectly with [name]Wren[/name] (love that name) and [name]Eden[/name]. I say go with it and everyone will love it when it is attached to a baby.

I think the following middle names would work:
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]William[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Michael[/name]
etc… there really isn’t a middle name that wouldn’t work with [name]Vale[/name]!

There is nothing wrong with the name [name]Vale[/name]. Your family is just being nasty. And given how they reacted to [name]Wren[/name]'s name (which is totally uncalled for) I dont think anything besides [name]John[/name] or [name]James[/name] is going to make them happy. Stick with what you love.

As for mns, I really like [name]Vale[/name] [name]Lucian[/name] for the meaning, but the flow is not 100%. Its not terrible though. Off your list [name]Vale[/name] [name]Matthias[/name] or [name]Vale[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] would be my pick. I think with a one syllable last name a three syllable mn would be best.

Some options:
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Maximilian[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Julius[/name]

[name]Vale[/name] [name]Lucian[/name] – I’m not sure how to pronounce this middle name because I’ve never heard it before. ([name]Lu[/name]-shin, [name]Lu[/name]-see-inn, [name]Lu[/name]-shee-inn?)
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Luca[/name] – This isn’t too bad.
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Bram[/name] (not the best for flow tho, is it?) - You’re right… not the best flow. What about [name]Vale[/name] [name]Abram[/name]? That sounds better!
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] - This is my favorite, but I’m biased because I think [name]Matthew[/name] is a great name.
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Mathias[/name] - I like this too.
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Soren[/name] - “sore” is what I think of.
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Graham[/name] - I like [name]Graham[/name] too! It depends on how it sounds with your last name.
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Rowan[/name] (too unisex?) - Yes, too unisex.
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] - I’m not a fan of [name]Sebastian[/name] personally, but if you like it, then it flows great with [name]Vale[/name].
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Loren[/name] (too unisex probably) - Yes, I think it’s too unisex too.

• I like it. It wouldn’t be my choice, but I would love to see it used. It seems to be a good mix of strong with creative, without sounding completely out there. [name]Wren[/name], [name]Eden[/name] and [name]Vale[/name] is fantastic.

• [name]Vale[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Richard[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Philip[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Benedict[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]David[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Edmund[/name]
    [name]Vale[/name] [name]Norman[/name]

• While I REALLY like [name]Vale[/name], I will suggest a couple:
    [name]Abram[/name]
    [name]Ari[/name]
    [name]Blaise[/name]
    [name]Brooks[/name]
    [name]Cale[/name]
    [name]Dane[/name]
    [name]Dean[/name]
    [name]Drew[/name]
    [name]Finbar[/name]
    [name]Jared[/name]
    [name]Jude[/name]
    [name]Leif[/name]
    [name]Levon[/name]
    [name]Quentin[/name]
    [name]Roscoe[/name]

In the end though I say stick with [name]Vale[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t let your family try and talk you out of something you love.

I agree 100% with the poster who said [name]Eden[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] & [name]Vale[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] are killer! And as an aside (and I hope this isn’t a turn-off to the name for you), [name]Eden[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] is on the short list for our girl also. [name]Miles[/name] [name]Isaiah[/name] is our boy pick (for now anyway).

I’m not sold on [name]Vale[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name], but, you’re right, next to [name]Eden[/name] [name]Sophia[/name], it looks awesome, doesn’t it?
I love theodore and [name]Lennox[/name], DH not so much.

You know- I actually [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Abram[/name] and [name]Ari[/name]. Esp w/ [name]Eden[/name]. I’m going to run them past DH as possibly safer options if we chicken out of [name]Vale[/name] (trying not to, tho)

We pn [name]Lucien[/name] kind of like “loo-shun”, but I think “Loo-shin” and “Loo-see-un” are also kind of acceptable.
I love [name]Vale[/name] [name]Abram[/name], but it brings us back to the potential initials problem (VAJ). I’m actually going to go make another post about this, actually, because I for sure had my heart set on [name]Vale[/name] [name]Asher[/name] or [name]Vale[/name] [name]Arden[/name] if we decide to brave the initials.

Sorry, don’t have a ton of time left right now, I’m really appreciating all your help.
right now, I think our list looks like this
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Asher[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Arden[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Lucian[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Vale[/name] [name]Micah[/name] (new one, pondering)

Can anyone toss out mns that sound good w/ [name]Vale[/name] that mean “light”?