Getting so many negative reactions to Mabel :(

@Mirandajane21 I’m from Mexico so definitely a big language difference when it comes to names but we do share some, including [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. I have met a few but it’s considered a very dated, old lady name. It’s just never mentioned or considered at all, it’s probably close to extinction over here.

2 Likes

That is a horrible comment and frankly, if that’s how someone chooses to express their thoughts about your brand new baby’s name, I don’t think their opinion counts for much. Their perception of what’s “awful” is clearly seriously impaired.

@sweetcaroline

It’s not a dumb comment at all! I don’t know if you saw the recent topics @MargotAbeline made about the names that rank highly in the US and low in the UK (or vice versa) — so interesting!

The one that always jumps out at me is [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. It’s a lovely name, but a little dated now where I am. I grew up with a lot of Gemmas and Emmas, but they’re only now really “in” in the US. Also [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is often described as a quirky, offbeat choice, when it’s been one of the most popular girls’ names here for a while! It is lovely and bright and bouncy though :hibiscus:

3 Likes

I absolutely adore [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]! It’s cosy, beautiful and gentle! [name_u]Billie[/name_u] adds a fiestyness to it and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Billie[/name_u]’ [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is just fantastic!

1 Like

@katinka Yes I did see that one thread it was quite interesting! I am personally a fan of the name trend in the UK and most of my favourite names are a bit more British in style.

Most of the favourite names on nb are just the biggest no here in Mexico. If I ever mentioned the name [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and others I would just get the weirdest look ever because they are so disliked over here. I don’t know why but they are truly going extinct

3 Likes

Just because someone doesn’t like your name choice, doesn’t mean you can’t use it. Some people probably had a bad experience with a [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. Many people also just like to be rude because they hate their own names. That doesn’t mean it’s a terrible name. I’m sick of seeing all these “trendy” names- no offense to people who use popular names, but it’s nice to be more original. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] gives me a nice vibe, and it’s unique. If you change it, you’ll regret it. I find that people with names considered more “out of style” actually get many complements about their name.

2 Likes

@sweetcaroline @katinka I also made some posts like this recently i’ll link them below if you want to have a look. :heart::heart:

4 Likes

^what [name_f]Katinka[/name_f] said! That comment is just awful. When I said that we got lots of negative reactions about [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] I forgot that you’d already had your beautiful babe - most of our reactions were BEFORE baby was born, when we were throwing around a few ideas, and absolutely none of the comments were as rude as that. One said it was too birdy, a number when we mentioned our top 3 would pointedly say “I LOVE x and y”, that sort of thing. [name_f]My[/name_f] MIL was the only one to pointedly say even after baby was named that she doesn’t like that name and that the middle name is even WORSE, but MIL has always been blunt and is always lovely, so she can get away with that kinda thing. Whoever said that to you… wow.

As I said above, I think it’s an absolutely gorgeous name. Vintage and old lady, yep, but once everyone sees it attached to a cute little girl it won’t feel like that at all any more. The sounds in it are really aesthetically pleasing, it sounds like the kind of name that will come back into fashion, or at least rise in popularity in the coming years. Unexpected and beautiful. I’m also a NZer for what it’s worth.

4 Likes

I love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], it’s so sweet and I definitely feel like you are ahead of the curve with this one!

My only personal reservation is I know a lot of cats and a dog named [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] in the UK.

1 Like

Thanks @Kiriko… Nice to have a kiwis opinion! The lady who made that comment is also a family friend who doesn’t mince her words or hold back! Over-the-top personality type. Still cut me a bit lolol. Sensitive and sleep deprived haha.

@MargotAbeline those lists are amazing!! So interesting. Thanks for re posting. While I live in NZ I am actually Canadian. But I much prefer the UK names!

1 Like

Argh, my apologies @MargotAbeline, it was your topics I was thinking of :woman_facepalming: Loved that idea!

2 Likes

So sorry to hear you have had negative reactions that must be frustrating and unpleasant.
[name_f]My[/name_f] personal opinion is I think [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is enough to be a stand alone name and I think [name_u]Billie[/name_u] winter sounds awesome. I’m not very keen on [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] but I think a mum should be respected in her name choice. And if you love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and it fits your baby girl then use it.

2 Likes

@Mirandajane21 Thank you!! They were interesting to make, I was researching the [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand popularity lists too and they seem to correlate with the US lists quite a lot. The Australian list however has more similarities with the UK list. I like the vintage style of the UK lists too!!

@katinka no worries at all!! @sophia_elena made some awesome lists that showed names that had never been in the US top 100 but were still in the top 500. I can’t find them to link but hopefully she will when she sees this. So our posts were pretty similar!! Thanks so much :heart::heart:

4 Likes

Mabel [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is gorgeous and tour daughtwill be proud to carry such a cool name with a spunky and fun nickname! Use the name you love! [name_f]My[/name_f] DH family thought the names of our kids were strange for about two years and then they just got use to it!

The negative comments you have recieved are so childish! Ihope theydont bully you into not using a name you and your husband love!

1 Like

Don’t listen to the haters. For starters they are being unbelievably rude and should be ashamed of themselves.

Second of all, you picked two established names. Both [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_u]Winter[/name_u] are acknowledged names, even though rarely used in NZ.

As a teacher in NZ I can assure you that your daughters name won’t stand out from anyone else’s at school in a negative way. There is such a mix of names today- from trendy to old fashioned, made up to foreign language names- that the other kids won’t think anything of it.

So I say if you love it keep it!

3 Likes

Hiya! Me again. I know I’ve commented on several of your posts regarding this name and want to share that I myself am a [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealander and truly adore it!

I’m honestly not sure why people are so openly negative about it especially when it has all that meaning behind it for you too. Honestly, if you and your Husband both love the name, who cares what some people have to say, it’s not their child and not their decision nor are you going to find a name that absolutely everyone loves as names definitely aren’t a one size fits all sort of thing.

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is a name my Husband hasn’t shot down when I’ve mentioned names to him and he’s definitely not afraid to say if he thinks it’s an old lady’s name - which he has done with many others but not [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. I love names with nickname options as I never had one and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] gives her many other options ([name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Belle[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f] etc) when she’s older, if she for some reason doesn’t like [name_u]Billie[/name_u].

No matter what you decide, just do what feels right for you deep down as you don’t want name regret like you had with [name_f]Lola[/name_f]'s middle name.
[name_m]Just[/name_m] my thoughts, hope it helps in some way to know you’ve got at least one other [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealander who loves your choice.

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] ignore the negativity. People always have their opinions and to that I say, it’s not their name so why are they bothered?

1 Like

I LOVE MABEL! It’s top of my list! I’ve found people either love it or hate it and I have had a lot of my friends try put me off it And say it’s a dogs name (nowadays any name can be a dogs name!!)

I got a lot of reassurance from people on here to just go with what you love so that’s what I’m going to do! :heart:

1 Like

Mabel is so sweet! I live in the US where i believe it is even less common than in the UK or NZ? I’m not sure. I know one [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] who is probably around 10 now. It fits her so well! It is hard to ignore others’ opinions, but honestly [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is just such a fantastic name that I really don’t get why they are so upset.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is sweet and lovely. It’s definitely vintage, but I think that’s different to “dated” or “dusty”.

Mabel makes me think of the lead female in The Pirates of [name_u]Penzance[/name_u]… she’s beautiful, cheerful, and has a gorgeous voice - I love that connotation! :heart:

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve got such awful comments - especially after your baby has arrived! Commenting on a hypothetical name is be thing, but once it’s on a little person… that’s just mean and uncalled for! I say keep [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] if you love it, and give the haters their marching orders. She’s your baby and their opinion doesn’t matter in the long run. I’m sorry that they are making you doubt your choice. That’s such a hard spot to be in. :pensive:

1 Like