Gideon, Franklin, and Benjamin

If I have three boys, I’d love to give them these names. However, [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] are unusual names, and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is very common. I’m worried that my hypothetical third son wouldn’t feel special.

A disclaimer that I’d vote for using your favorite names regardless of sibling cohesion. But–I think [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] sound like very natural brother names! They’re all linked in some way: [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] are more unusual, [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] both have the “-in” ending, and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] and [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] are both Biblical names! I think it totally works.

7 Likes

I think it’s fine. [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] are more unusual than [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], but they’re familiar enough that it works. I think they go well together.

2 Likes

Franklin and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] as siblings are way too much [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] vibe lol

8 Likes

Oh…just realised…hahaha

1 Like

+1 basically

1 Like

Ooh I somehow didn’t notice this (maybe just because of the order they were in, but also I’m bad at associations :rofl:), but it does bother me now that I see it. I wouldn’t say way too much–honestly I think it’s the kind of thing that would be briefly funny and nothing more for real life siblings–but I’d probably prefer to avoid it.

2 Likes

I love all three. But how about [name_m]Bennet[/name_m] or [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]?

I don’t think the difference in how common these names are is a problem. However, like another user already pointed out, [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] makes [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] and [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] a bit weird as brothers.

Sorry to say [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] was the first thing that came to mind. I would say [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] and [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] would work well together though.

Maybe [name_u]Francis[/name_u] instead of Franklin?

1 Like

I totally agree about the [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] thing. I don’t know that it would be a deal breaker for sure, but definitely a consideration. Style wise I don’t think think it’s an issue. [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is probably the most common of the three but I don’t think it’s as common as [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u], or Liam.

Replacement ideas:
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m] instead of [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]

Other options that might fit your name style:
[name_m]Abraham[/name_m]
[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
[name_u]George[/name_u]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]
Lewis/Louis
[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]
[name_m]Marvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]

1 Like

I like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] a lot even though it’s my dad’s name. :confused:

If you have a good relationship with your dad, it could make for a nice tribute middle name! [name_u]Or[/name_u] even a first name still, but I know a lot of people don’t prefer that for first names.

[name_u]Or[/name_u], maybe [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] or [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], if you like the name but don’t find it usable since it’s your dad’s name?

1 Like

I have a great relationship with my dad, I just feel like it sounds old-fashioned to name my son after my dad.

Totally fair! Most people seem to prefer to honor parents and family members with a middle name rather than the first

1 Like