Gideon?

This is one of those biblical names that remains unused and uncommon. However, I think it could come back. I think it’s quirky yet handsome. WDYT?

I definitely agree on the quirky yet handsome :slight_smile: I sorta put it in my little mental group with names like [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Edmund[/name].

Unfortunately when I mentioned it the DH the response was “NO way are we naming a kid after those guys that hand out the little bibles”

lol, guess I hadnt really made that association. Looks like it will have to remain a guilty pleasure for me!

~flower

I think you’re right. [name]Gideon[/name] has the perfect balance of unusual but familiar sound, stylish “n” ending, and biblical background. It could definitely gain popularity. It has been rising up the charts slowly but surely for a decade and is currently at 549. The only thing that works against it is a good nickname. Most popular names have at least one intuitive nickname ([name]Jake[/name] for [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Alex[/name] for [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Matt[/name] for [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Danny[/name] for [name]Daniel[/name], etc.) and [name]Gideon[/name] doesn’t have a good nickanme (Giddy? [name]Dee[/name]? [name]Deon[/name]?). That being said, I personally think it’s a great name and it should get used more often! It’s on my long list :slight_smile:

I grew up with a [name]Gideon[/name] nn [name]Ian[/name], kind of a stretch spelling wise, but it worked.

I know a 3.5 year old [name]Gideon[/name] and he is quite the charmer. It’s a wonderful name and from what I’m told by his parents, everyone who hears his name is enchanted by it. Particularly men.

I’ve been thinking so much about this name! I just read [name]Kristin[/name] Cashore’s Graceling and kept seeing ‘[name]Gideon[/name]’ instead of ‘Giddon’ for the first fifty or so pages. I first heard [name]Gideon[/name] in [name]Seven[/name] Brides for [name]Seven[/name] Brother’s; [name]Gideon[/name] was my favorite brother.

Thank you for your opinions. I really love this name but needed to hear a few good comments on it. I’m not married, pregnant or TTC and won’t be for a while. However, I’m really considering it for one of my future sons.

I agree that [name]Gideon[/name] is an extremely handsome name (and a bit quirky, too!), and it IS pretty uncommon (at least here in [name]America[/name])-I don’t recall ever meeting a real-life [name]Gideon[/name]. I also agree that it could become more popular-to me, it is a treasure of a name! I, too, would love to use it on a future son. The fact that [name]Gideon[/name] is a biblical name greatly appeals to me as well (and it seems like it does to others). Anyways, wonderful name! :slight_smile:

~*~nameseeker3