ginger, celia, or neither?

I love the name [name]Ginger[/name]. Always loved [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]. Also I think of ginger root, so to me the name feels earthy and spicy. But can a [name]Ginger[/name] grow up to be a brain surgeon or is she doomed to a life of tap-dancing or lap-dancing?

Also [name]Alice[/name]. As a first name, it’s a bit plain, though it has heft. It’s a sentimental name for my husband and I.

Thirdly, Dear. My grandmother was nicknamed Dear. So we were thinking of it as a middle.

Our last name starts with a G. So If we use [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Alice[/name], her initials spell GAG, which is no good. But [name]Ginger[/name] Dear sounds like [name]Ginger[/name] Beer!

What do you think of two middles? Too much? [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Alice[/name] Dear…

We also like [name]Celia[/name], for the Shakespearean character and because it’s an anagram of [name]Alice[/name]. [name]Celia[/name] Dear

Dear as a first name? Too sweet?

Thanks everyone!

I like:
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Garland[/name] (classic and sweet)
[name]Celia[/name] Dear [name]Garland[/name] (classic first and more unusual but meaningful middle)

I agree that [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Alice[/name] Dear [name]Garland[/name] is a bit too much.

Dear would be off as a first name, but I love it in the middle. I’m not very fond of [name]Ginger[/name] at all. [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Celia[/name] are both favourites.

[name]Alice[/name] Dear and [name]Celia[/name] Dear both sound wonderful to me, and with Dear in the middle, having a slightly plain first name is less of a problem. I also don’t think of [name]Alice[/name] as plain :slight_smile:

Thank you. [name]Both[/name] very helpful replies. I needed someone to tell me to stay away from four-part names. I’m still attached to [name]Ginger[/name], though I know a lot of people dislike it. I may have to just buy a goldfish and name it [name]Ginger[/name] to get it out of my system. [name]One[/name] thing I like about [name]Celia[/name] Dear is that [name]Alice[/name] can be her secret other name, so if she identifies more as an [name]Alice[/name], she can always use it as a nickname. I think [name]Celia[/name] has a lovely sleekness, but is it not strong enough?

No one is doomed to any sort of life because of their name. I know many people with wonderful lives who have unconventional, frilly, weird, etc… names. I also know a Lot of people that I would never want my children to turn out like who have classy, timeless, very conventional names. The child/adult makes the name, the name doesn’t make the child/adult. I only know one [name]Ginger[/name] personally. She’s a wonderful, kind and caring person. She’s a mother of 4 and a nurse.

If you really do like [name]Ginger[/name], there’s no reason you shouldn’t use it.

Why did you need someone to tell you to stay away from using two middle names? It’s a growing trend that lots of people like. If you want to incorporate three names, there are many lovely combinations that you could do with your choices. :slight_smile:

I second [name]Celia[/name] Dear or [name]Alice[/name] Dear – both adorable, and meaningful. I’m biased toward [name]Celia[/name] b/c of the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection – she’s a great character, a loving and loyal friend and a brave adventuress! --and I think you could go with “Dearie” as a nickname either way, which would be adorable on a little girl.

And [name]Celia[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] are great names for a grown-up woman who wants to be a judge or a surgeon or the president of the United States. [name]Ginger[/name]? Mmmm…I don’t know that it has that gravitas. (Although the long version, [name]Virginia[/name], certainly does!)

That’s what’s scared me off a lot of names that I love too…the thought that they’d be adorable up until middle school. Then they could slowly become cheesy and embarassing and then, perhaps, a professional hazard. (On the other hand, that didn’t seem to stop the New [name]York[/name] Times writer [name]Strawberry[/name] [name]Saroyan[/name], so perhaps I’m overthinking here!)

I like [name]Celia[/name] [name]Alice[/name], but I would advise against Dear, especially as a first name. It’s what old ladies call people.

I really like [name]Ginger[/name]! I knew a [name]Ginger[/name] in high school, she was a smart and popular athletic girl. With your last name it works, it is a little word heavy though? Like I envision a garland with ginger on it…not that it’s a bad thing.

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Ginger[/name] is good.
[name]Alice[/name] Dear is good.
[name]Celia[/name] [name]Ginger[/name] is good.
[name]Celia[/name] Dear is good.
[name]Ginger[/name] Dear is OK, although I agree there’s not as much to “fall back on”.
[name]Ginger[/name] [name]Celia[/name] is good.

I do think though that Dear might be better as another nickname, as I think it was for your grandma? Are her names anything you’d want to use?

I do think GAG are initials to avoid, sad because I think [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Alice[/name] is a nice combo.

I do think 4 part names are better avoided unless they are part of a family tradition, but you could consider it.

Another thought: [name]Ginger[/name] as a nickname for [name]Virginia[/name]. [name]Virginia[/name] is also Shakespearean.

[name]Virginia[/name] Dear I find a bit much.
And initials VAG you would want to avoid too.
But [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Celia[/name] works, and [name]Celia[/name] [name]Virginia[/name]. Kind of a lot of-a, but it’s not bad.

Or, [name]Alice[/name] [name]Virginia[/name], I really like.

I agree, [name]Alice[/name] isn’t plain, especially with a pretty last name like yours!

Good luck!

Thank you all! Goodness this is helpful and oddly therapeutic. [name]Stephanie[/name], that’s very kind of you. I don’t think two middle names are inherently bad - it’s traditional in the UK right? I just prefer one middle. Feels like the middle name has more weight that way. I’m really leaning toward [name]Celia[/name] Dear. [name]Jenifer[/name], yes I love [name]Celia[/name] and [name]Rosalind[/name] in As You Like It. I mean [name]Rosalind[/name] is the stronger character, but I’m not a fan of the [name]ROZ[/name] sound. So [name]Celia[/name] Dear is the front-runner, possibly using [name]Alice[/name] as a kind of “looking-glass” name to [name]Celia[/name]. Jesba, I hear what you’re saying about [name]Ginger[/name] Dear being word-heavy. [name]Ginger[/name] is on the back-burner because I can’t get it out of my head. What if we were to use some other, more dignified G name and keep [name]Ginger[/name] as a nick? Not [name]Virginia[/name]. Some may love it, but personally I can’t do names with virgin associations. Sorry [name]Chastity[/name] and [name]Prudence[/name]. Anyone have any other great names that could be shortened to [name]Ginger[/name]? [name]Genevieve[/name]…
My grandmother’s real name was [name]Christine[/name], but I like Dear as the middle. To me, she was always Dear.
Thanks again everyone.

I like [name]Celia[/name] [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Garland[/name], or [name]Alice[/name] [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Garland[/name] best of all.

I think [name]Celia[/name] is prettier and sweeter than [name]Ginger[/name], but I think both names work well. I’ve known some very nice respectable Gingers in my life! Normally I hate double initials, but there is something about [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Garland[/name] that seems super-cute to me. [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Alice[/name] Dear [name]Garland[/name] is very cool – I have a cousin who used Dew as a second middle name after a grandmother and I love the idea.

[name]Celia[/name] as an anagram for [name]Alice[/name] is really nice as well. I love [name]Celia[/name]! It’s one of my favorite names of all time. It’s just cute, sweet, spunky, and not well used.

[name]Ginger[/name] Laice [name]Garland[/name]

[name]Celia[/name]! [name]Celia[/name] Dear [name]Garland[/name] is darling.

[name]Celia[/name] [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Garland[/name] would be very classic and pretty!

I always associate [name]Ginger[/name] with red hair - that’s part of why I am nicknamed that. But to me it is a nickname, not a real birth certificate name, although it could be, I suppose. With all due respect to [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Rogers[/name] and [name]Judy[/name] [name]Garland[/name], I think [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Garland[/name] sounds like a showgirl name. I love [name]Celia[/name]. I wouldn’t use either Dear or [name]Ginger[/name] as a middle name, but I am only speaking for myself. I am a firm believer in naming your baby what you feel is right. [name]Just[/name] chiming in.

All I have to say is [name]Ginger[/name] is amazing. You must use it!

Almost certain that if we have a girl, we will go with [name]Celia[/name] Dear. The Dear is important to me. But now my husband is talking about [name]Alice[/name] [name]Jupiter[/name]! He liked the name [name]Juniper[/name], and I said, “well, people do make garlands out of juniper…” So then he suggested [name]Jupiter[/name]. He thinks it’s a good contrast to the “politeness” of [name]Alice[/name]. I think he’s nuts, though I admit it’s a strong (and fun) name. Too fun? Maybe if we have twin girls- [name]Celia[/name] Dear [name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Jupiter[/name]? There are twins on my side of the family, so it’s a possibility. TTC, not with child, so we’re just dreaming of names right now. [name]Alice[/name] [name]Jupiter[/name] anyone?

Although I like [name]Ginger[/name], I would only use as a nn or mn. [name]Celia[/name] Dear [name]Garland[/name] or [name]Alice[/name] Dear [name]Garland[/name] are my favorites from your list. I don’t think [name]Alice[/name] [name]Jupiter[/name] is horrible, but it is pretty strong and seems a little incongruous with [name]Celia[/name] Dear. What about [name]Alice[/name] [name]Juno[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]Junia[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]June[/name], or [name]Alice[/name] [name]Ione[/name] instead? I think one of these or something like it works a little better with your other fn selection.

[name]Celia[/name] Dear [name]Garland[/name] has great rhythm! My suggestion for a potential twin might be [name]Alice[/name] [name]Junia[/name]. I really think [name]Alice[/name] [name]Ginger[/name] is nice though.

LOL, you have VERY similar taste to my best friend. She considered [name]Alice[/name], [name]Ginger[/name], and [name]Celia[/name] for her baby girl. She also considered [name]Penny[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]… maybe those might appeal to you? She ultimately ended up naming her daughter [name]Olive[/name], which was absolutely perfect.

I think all your choices are fabulous. My personal favorite is [name]Celia[/name], followed closely by [name]Ginger[/name]. I think both names are beautiful, and I definitely think [name]Ginger[/name] is a name that would be taken seriously. Best of luck!