Girl list thoughts & suggestions

Hi Berries.

I’ve noticed that a lot you guys have nice long girl lists of names, & I’m envious. I can’t seem to fall in love w/more than a few. Any suggestions based on what I have so far?

Here’s my list-

Daisy-This is the number one girl. I fell in love w/her fairly recently (within the last year or so), once I realized it was a special way to honor my dad, [name_m]David[/name_m]. It’s sweet, classic, friendly, lovable & has beautiful imagery. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite flower! Middle name would probably be [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] to honor my grandpa [name_m]Albert[/name_m] and/or Grandma [name_f]Annette[/name_f]. I’m Jewish, so we generally just use the first letter of deceased relatives as honor names. Although I’m not opposed to using [name_m]David[/name_m] or [name_m]Albert[/name_m] as boy mns.

Guinevere-[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is tied for first w/Daisy, actually. I would just use [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] first if naming an actual baby. But [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] has been my favorite for nearly 20 years now. She’s just so bold, feminine, romantic, recognizable but not at all popular. Middle name would likely be [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] to honor Grandma [name_f]Pauline[/name_f].

Olive-This is another one that I’ve recently fallen for. It’s sweet, vintage, smart & botanical. Plus, it has a little flair of glamours too. And I love the nn [name_f]Livy[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite [name_f]Olive[/name_f] combos are [name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] for Grandma [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] or [name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] for my Aunt [name_f]Bernice[/name_f] plus dh’s grandma, [name_f]Betty[/name_f].

Eleanor-I’m not as sure about this one anymore. I still love it, but mainly for the nn [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]. It’s just so over done. [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] was my great grandma too, so that makes it even more special. But I’m not sure I’d want to use just [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is my favorite of the [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] names I can think of that I kind of like. And finding an [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] mn is a little tricky. I’ve toyed w/Eleanor [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] (probably my favorite), [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] & [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f].

And here are a few that I sometimes consider but can’t commit to for ‘The List’-

Aine-mainly because it only works well w/an Irish accent. And we’re in the midwest U.S.

Aviva-as a fn? Maybe?

Estella-I mainly like the idea & look of this more than I actually like saying it. Not sure why.

Indigo-I don’t like [name_u]Indie[/name_u] though. I do like [name_f]Idgie[/name_f]!

Josephine-I don’t like [name_u]Jo[/name_u], [name_u]Joey[/name_u] or [name_u]Josie[/name_u]. And I feel like at least one of those is unavoidable.

Miriam-can’t commit, but maybe…

Nuala-I love that it’s Gaelic & it would fit in w/my little Irish named nephews!

Ruth-maybe???

What do you guys think? Should any of these make the cut, & why? Any other suggestions that you think I may like? What do you think of my current list? What would you call my girl style? So many questions! [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to answer as few or as many as you like. Thanks in advance. :grin: :heart:

2 Likes

I love your list and the reason behind each name!

As for the ones you’re considering, I would keep [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] as a mn because [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] is just so perfect, and, while I think that all of the others are quite nice, it doesn’t sound like you really love any of them. Your list should really feature the names you are absolutely head-over-heels for! At least, that’s how I feel. :slight_smile:

I’ll try to suggest some names with similar style to the ones you like but aren’t sure on and maybe something will click or remind you of another name that clicks.

Names like [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], & [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]: [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], [name_f]Tamar[/name_f], [name_f]Rivka[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Talia[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Moriah[/name_f], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_u]Eden[/name_u]

Names like [name_f]Aine[/name_f] & [name_f]Nuala[/name_f]: [name_f]Ailis[/name_f], [name_f]Roisin[/name_f], [name_f]Aoife[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], [name_f]Orla[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]

Names like [name_f]Estella[/name_f] & [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]: [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Giselle[/name_f], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]

Hope this could help!

1 Like

I absolutely love the name [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]! I also love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Aine[/name_f], and really like [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], and [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]. Of the combos, I adore [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f].

From your ‘maybe’ list, I think all of them deserve a spot on your list! However, I see your concerns with [name_f]Aine[/name_f]- I’m also in the US and think it’s so much nicer in an Irish accent I don’t have! [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] might have a few pronunciation issues, too, but it would be an easy correction!

I would describe your style as sweet and feminine! The names are established but not too popular, which is a great place to be, in my opinion!

Maybe you would like…
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Eliora[/name_f], [name_f]Enya[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], Líadan, or [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]

1 Like

I love your list! I like the meaning those names have for you.

Indigo- I think [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] also deserves a place on your List. It’s a wonderful name that seems to fit with your favourites. [name_f]Idgie[/name_f] is so cute! I personally like the combination [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f].

Here are some suggestions:

Iris- It’s vintage and botanical like [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f]!

Julia- Your style seems quite elegant to me and I think [name_f]Julia[/name_f] fits that description as well.

Petronella- You might like it because it’s the same style as [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], it gives you the nickname [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] and it could honor your Grandma [name_f]Pauline[/name_f].

Seraphine- It has the same ending as [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] but a different beginning, so no need to worry about [name_u]Jo[/name_u], [name_u]Joey[/name_u] or [name_u]Josie[/name_u] :smile:.

@elanorelle-Thank you so much for your help! I love how to were so easily able to group my names into three categories. I had never realized that. You hit the nail on the head w/Fiona. [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is that beautiful angel in my profile picture’s name. Obviously, I’m obsessed w/her & her name. But it’s not on my list, since it already belongs to my baby. :joy: :dog: I also really like [name_f]Talia[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. How do you say [name_f]Brigid[/name_f]? I think that [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] nn [name_f]Bridie[/name_f] is super cute, but I think this is different, right?

@EagleEyes-Thank you! I’m glad that you like the list. I do adore the name [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] from your suggestions. And I love [name_f]Anya[/name_f] too, & should probably give it some consideration. It’s like [name_f]Aine[/name_f], but easier. And my great grandparents are all from [name_f]Russia[/name_f], so it would be a nod to that. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Eliora[/name_f] & [name_f]Thea[/name_f] are all on my ‘like a lot’ list.

@Johannaa-Thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m so glad that you like [name_f]Idgie[/name_f] as a nn for [name_u]Indigo[/name_u]. I feel like that one isn’t for everyone. Our really good friends actually have a dog called this (their other dogs are [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]!!! and [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]. Cute, right?), but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker. She’s a sweet little pup, so a nice association at least. [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] is gorgeous. It has a great balance of exotic hippie-flair w/down to earth vintage.

Petronella is a cool idea! I’m not quite loving the sound of it, but I really appreciate the suggestion. It checks a lot of boxes. Maybe a nice mn for [name_f]Olive[/name_f]?

2 Likes

:joy: Well, [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] makes a sweet name for a dog, too! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it.
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f], I assume, is much like [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], just with that ‘d’ sound on the end. I agree, [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] or [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] with nn [name_f]Bridie[/name_f] would be adorable!

Daisy is one of my favourite girls names, it’s just so sweet and beautiful🥰

I love [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] and [name_f]Estella[/name_f]!

Guinevere, [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] are lovely too :slight_smile:

Mirabel
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Jovie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Ginevra[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Astraea[/name_f]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_f]Clodagh[/name_f]

Completely love your first “committed” list, especially [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] :blossom::two_hearts: [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] has my heart always.

I agree that I’m not so sure about the ones of your second list, [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] is the name of a car insurance in the UK so I can’t visualise that as a name unfortunately and [name_f]Estella[/name_f] is too close to [name_f]Estrella[/name_f] for me, the Spanish beer.

Going off your original list, which seems quite vintage-whimsical in style, I have a few suggestions you may or may not like:

Posy
[name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Dinah[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]

@CharlotteCharlton555-So glad you love [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] too.

@Greyblue-Thank you for suggestions! [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] is so lovely. I also like [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] & am almost loving just [name_f]Stella[/name_f]. It’s way more popular than [name_f]Estella[/name_f], but it’s much easier.

@MaisieDee- Vintage-whimsical; I like that! I love love [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]. Forgot to add that to my almost ready for ‘The List’ list. Dh says it’s a stripper name…ridiculous, of course. I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] too. But it’s my doggy’s mn. :grinning: :dog: [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] is another one that’s been on my favorites list once before. I may put it back some day. I do kind of love it. [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] is nice, right?

1 Like

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]- So sweet! [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] is just a darling name. There’s a [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] on Bones, so I think of her, but [name_f]Meg[/name_f] [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] also named her daughter [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. I get sunny, romantic vibes.

[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]- It’s a nice name, Arthurian and dramatic, but I’ve unfortunately never been able to shake the “severe” sound. I actually prefer [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], but they’re both a bit much for my tastes, yet I can totally see the appeal.

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]- I love your description! It’s definitely quirky and fun and vintage. However, I am boring and prefer [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], but I wouldn’t find anything wrong with the name [name_f]Olive[/name_f] either.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]- This is one where I’m surprised by the popularity because it isn’t my style, but it also has the wonderful namesake [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m], so strong and intelligent come to mind when I hear this name. “[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]” and “[name_f]Nell[/name_f]” are perfect nicknames and are good reason to use the name. As for my favorite combo, [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] rings beautifully for me.

[name_f]Aine[/name_f]- Nice name, but spelling and pronunciation may be a lifelong issue.

[name_f]Aviva[/name_f]- Hmm, not familiar with this name. I don’t think it’s my style.

[name_f]Estella[/name_f]- I prefer [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] and even more, [name_f]Stella[/name_f].

[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]-I love [name_u]Indie[/name_u] actually. This is another name that isn’t my style, but is definitely great in its own right and I can’t fault it.

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]- [name_f]My[/name_f] grandma was named [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I’ve always thought it was pretty, but she didn’t like it. She was called “[name_u]Jo[/name_u].” [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_u]March[/name_u] is an excellent character to look up to, so I actually like the disarmingly male nickname. However, I prefer [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], etc.

[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]- Not my style

[name_f]Nuala[/name_f]- Fun name, but most people are unfamiliar, yet the spelling and pronunciation seem easier than [name_f]Aine[/name_f].

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]- I knew a baby [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]. It’s a fine name, just doesn’t evoke any strong reactions out of me.

Great list! You always give such excellent feedback, so I put some extra thoughtfulness in my response to you:)

Suggestions – I think you like sweet, vintage, slightly quirky:

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Eira[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]

Thank you, @firefly305! I’m glad that you love [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. I’m so pleasantly surprised that all of these name nerds know how to pronounce [name_f]Aine[/name_f]. I love that. You’re right that normal people in the U.S. probably would struggle w/this. [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] is a Hebrew name. [name_f]My[/name_f] family is Jewish & my husband’s family is Irish. I totally didn’t pick my Jewish & Irish names because of that reason either. [name_m]Just[/name_m] drawn to them. :slight_smile: I love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] & [name_f]Anya[/name_f] from your list. I used to nanny for a [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] from the time she was one years old until about ten. She’s 14 now, & we still keep in touch, so I feel like that name is already taken by somebody close to me. But, I don’t know that it would keep it off my list. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister has [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] on the top of her hypothetical probably not having kids but like to think about names anyway list. :joy:

1 Like

Of your B list, I Iike [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], and I agree with you on why the other B list names aren’t A-list-worthy.

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Petronella[/name_f] is nice! It remind me a bit of oil though. [name_f]Olive[/name_f] strats with an O, L and I and [name_f]Petronella[/name_f] sounds a little like petrol. It’s not very clear and I don’t think it’s really a problem but I wanted to let you know in case it does bother you.

1 Like