Girl name ideas

Trying to decide on a list of possible girl names with my husband:
His favourites are:
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (his number 1 favourite) - I like this but prefer longer/very formal sounding names
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] - my favourite of his 2 picks but we know it’s very popular at the moment which doesn’t 100% put us off though

My favourites are:
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] (husband doesn’t really like this even though he loves [name_f]Emily[/name_f] :joy:
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
Hubby doesn’t really like any of these

Ones we both don’t mind are:
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (we both like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] but not so much [name_f]Vicky[/name_f])
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alana[/name_f]
[name_f]Maria[/name_f]
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]

Am keen on getting opinions and any other ideas!

Have you considered longer versions of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]? [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]? [name_f]Luciana[/name_f]? I personally love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] on it’s own. But other names from your lists I like are [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. I can picture 4 sweet little girls by the names [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]! I also know a lovely little girl whose name is [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] but goes by [name_f]Tori[/name_f].

Another full name for [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] would be [name_f]Lucille[/name_f].

Other nicknames for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] are [name_f]Vita[/name_f], [name_f]Tory[/name_f], and [name_f]Ria[/name_f]

My name is [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], and I love it! I’ve always gotten compliments and never met another one until I went off to college.

On your list, my favorites are [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]

Other names:
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyla[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]

Some ideas for you:
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]
Catherine/Katherine
Rosalie

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and this feels like a complete name to me. Perhaps you’d like [name_u]Eloise[/name_u], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], or [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] with nicknames [name_u]Lou[/name_u] or [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]

My favourites are:
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] - absolutely gorgeous. I like Roey, [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] as nicknames. I like how this name feels classic and versatile at the same time.
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - absolutely gorgeous I love this name. I also like that it is classic, but has some spunk esp with nicknames [name_u]Josie[/name_u] and Phi.
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f] - neutral.
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f]- I feel like [name_f]Emma[/name_f] has lost some of its shine from being so popular. Also because of that I feel like a lot of people are sick of hearing [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] fits in the same boat for me.
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - I like this name, though I prefer [name_f]Norah[/name_f].
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] - Gorgeous and classic pick.

Ones we both don’t mind are:
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (we both like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] but not so much [name_f]Vicky[/name_f]) - She would probably be called [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] a lot so I’d rule it out for that.
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]- pretty name but it makes me think of the American girl doll too much.
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] - pretty name though I prefer [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] or [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. With [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] being my favorite alternative. [name_f]Imo[/name_f] its a gorgeous name!
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] - feels too grandma to me
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f] - very pretty name just again pretty popular
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - imo overused. Very popular and I don’t like how this is so close to the masculine form.
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] this! and nickname [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] is so sweet. Despite it’s similarity to [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], it feels distinctive to me
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] - Feels too much like an 80s/90s name to me.
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - beautiful name but I’m not a huge fan for the same reason as [name_f]Emma[/name_f]/[name_f]Emily[/name_f]. Perhaps [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] instead?
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] - My favorite name on your list! So elegant and classic without being frilly. I also like the nickname of Esty.
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - Beautiful choice (but popular albeit not as popular as [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f]).
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - pretty name but not a fan for the same reasons as [name_f]Emma[/name_f]/[name_f]Emily[/name_f]/[name_f]Olivia[/name_f].
[name_f]Alana[/name_f] - neutral. Doesn’t wow me.
[name_f]Maria[/name_f] - so gorgeous! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it is a classic name you do not hear it often
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f] - feels too distinct to late 1900s as a given name
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] - I love this name. It feels spunky while still having classic roots esp by being a literary name! Another plus is that I’ve never met an [name_f]Imogen[/name_f].

I also really like the suggestion of [name_f]Julia[/name_f]. I think it is a beautiful and well known name without being very popular.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts:

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-I think it’s adorable. I’m kind of with you that longer names are nice w/maybe [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a nn? [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Luciana[/name_f], [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] or [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f] are all good options. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is fine on its own too though.

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] -Are you in the UK? In my area, the midwest U.S., I’d be willing to bet that [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is actually more common these days. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] maybe 10-15 years ago. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is very sweet. I like the sing song-y sound if it, but it’s also very smart sounding for an adult. Like [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] or [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_m]Dickinson[/name_m].

[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]-I really want to like this. I like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] & [name_f]Mary[/name_f] separately, but this just reminds me of that movie.

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]-[name_u]Love[/name_u] it. It’s kind of stuffy, but in a fun way. It’s charming & intelligent, but lovable on a little one at the same time.

[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]-This is fine. It’s a little more unexpected, but a tad clunky for my taste.

[name_f]Emma[/name_f]-I can see liking [name_f]Emily[/name_f] & not [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] has a more flow of the tongue feel. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is nice & simple, but also very over done.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]-I love it! It’s at the top of my list too. The perfect balance of boldness & femininity.

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]-Very sweet. A bit sassy yet gentle.

[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]-This is fine. A little stuffy for me personally, but it’s not a bad name. Maybe [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] is unavoidable? I don’t know. If you strongly dislike [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] I may steer clear of [name_f]Victoria[/name_f].

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]-Aw, I love this. It has a similar feeling to [name_f]Emily[/name_f], but way more unique.

[name_f]Elise[/name_f]-This isn’t bad. I can’t get into this one. It just sounds abrupt. Does that make sense?

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]-This is fine. It doesn’t sparkle for me, but it’s a good name.

[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]-Same as above.

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]-This is okay, but I don’t personally love it. I think that it sounds too serious some how.

[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]-Not my cup of tea. Plus, I think you may have pronunciation issues as to whether it’s ‘sand-druh’ or sahn-dra’.

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]-Meh, this seems a bit dated.

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]-Beautiful elegant name, but way over done. The nn [name_f]Livy[/name_f] is way adorable though.

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]-This is nice. Very smart & classy. A bit less common than some of the others.

[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-Aw, I love this. [name_m]How[/name_m] could you not love a sweet little [name_f]Lily[/name_f]?

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]-This is nice, but not super exciting.

[name_f]Alana[/name_f]-I don’t really care for this one, plus, is it ‘Lah-nuh’ or ‘Lan-uh’?

[name_f]Maria[/name_f]-Not my cup of tea, but sort of different & a good solid name.

[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]-I don’t care for this one. Not sure why.

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]-This is fun. Kind of quirky & smart. I especially like it for the nns Idgie & [name_f]Imee[/name_f].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I really do like [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] but my husband definitely prefers [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. I’m still definitely considering it and hoping it will grow on me!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about Emilou [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]? otherwise from your list of name [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Estella[/name_f] and [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] I like the best.

My favorite from your list is [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and from his is [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. Maybe the nickname [name_u]Josie[/name_u] could help sell him on [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]? [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] are also really nice. I don’t think [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] is inevitable for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] at all–it’s rather dated, and most young to young adult Victorias I know go by either the full [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] or by [name_f]Tori[/name_f].

Suggestions:

[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]

Of your choices, I really like
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
Elwabkr
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]

My first thoughts for you were [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]

Honestly it’s so hard trying to agree on stuff with your partner so I feel your pain!

On his favourites…
I’m not a massive fan of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] & her variants all I hear is the word loose but I think it’s a good start that you both like this name and have relatively positive response to the name. Have you thought of some longer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] names?
Suggestions
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Luciana[/name_f]

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] is a fine name she’s just standard and inoffensive not a favourite of mine it’s just a bit bland. I prefer [name_f]Emma[/name_f].

Onto your favourites
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and all her variants including [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is just classic and spunky it’s a lovely choice.

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - I love this name it’s so elegant and has a lovely sound. [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is a great nickname as well. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name.

[name_f]Claudia[/name_f] - not a favourite of mine I prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] which has a similar sound but feels prettier.

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] - prefer to [name_f]Emily[/name_f] it’s spunky and feels friendly.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - honestly think this is a beautiful name with a range of gorgeous nicknames. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is just a great name!

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] - I like this as well it’s vintage & pretty.

I honestly do not understand how hubby cannot like these names?? Men eh?!

On the names you guys don’t mind…
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] - this is my name and my family/closest friends do not call me [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] they call me [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] or V. My partner & his family call me [name_f]Tori[/name_f]. However I still do get [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] and I do think it’s unavoidable. I’m 26 and only when I started working did I get [name_f]Vicky[/name_f]. I really like my name but if you hate [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] stay away!

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] - this is a happy name and I like the nickname [name_f]Flick[/name_f]

[name_f]Elise[/name_f] - this is a pretty spunky choice.

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] - ah this is a nice name and reminds me of my friends niece who is beyond adorable so yes I really love this name.

[name_f]Chloe[/name_f] - this was the name of my old dog so I struggle picturing it on a baby but I do like the name.

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - this the name of the baby I lost so this is a really special name to me. I love [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] it’s beautiful, classy & elegant.

[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - not a massive fan

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] - I can see the appeal but I do find [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] a bit boring it’s just not a favourite of mine

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - this is the name of my partner’s niece she’s a beautiful gorgeous baby born [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and the cutest little thing. The name itself is pretty but not a favourite.

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] - I can see the appeal but not a favourite

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - I love flower names including lily it’s just sweet and elegant little name.

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - I prefer [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]

[name_f]Alana[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] & [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f] - not keen on these 3

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] - on my extended list of names I think [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is a gorgeous literary name very sweet & spunky.

Other suggestions…
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

Good luck

If you both like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], I don’t think you will necessarily have a problem with her getting called [name_f]Vicky[/name_f]. I know 2 young Victorias and one goes exclusively as [name_f]Tori[/name_f], and the other is almost always called [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (with the occasional [name_m]Vick[/name_m]).

Your choices are precious! You really can’t go wrong with any.

Have you considered [name_f]Emmaline[/name_f]? If you both like that “[name_f]Em[/name_f]” sound but can’t agree on [name_f]Emma[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Emily[/name_f], this might be a cute middle ground. Plus, it has the longer and slightly formal feel that you wanted. I know you said you don’t really mind your daughter having a very common name, but [name_f]Emmaline[/name_f] is reminiscent of [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and, at least in my experience, not nearly as common.

In terms of the others from your list, I love:
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]–classic and beautiful. If you’re keen on a nickname, I think it lends itself well to many nicknames beyond the vintage [name_f]Vicky[/name_f]. I know plenty of Victorias who don’t go by [name_f]Vicky[/name_f], so I don’t think you’re stuck with [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] if you’re choosing this name.
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]–so sweet and fun. I absolutely love this name. I also think it could fit quite nicely as a middle name for some others on your list, if you’re looking.
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]–never goes out of style. Gorgeous and strong.

A few of my other suggestions would be:
[name_f]Emmaline[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]–a few others have suggested. My name is [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and I love it. It’s classic and timeless without verging on stuffy or reminiscent of an old lady name. It’s familiar enough, but not terribly common. I was always the only [name_f]Nora[/name_f] in my class at school, and have only met one other [name_f]Nora[/name_f] at my university.
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]–it has that formal sound you like and is a classic that is becoming trendy, if not extremely popular, lately.
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Nicolette[/name_f]–a little out of the box but if you’re into that it’s cute!
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]–if you want the “[name_f]Rose[/name_f]” sound in [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], this might be another suggestion that would make you and your husband happy with the name.
[name_f]Louise[/name_f] or [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]