Girl name long list, honest opinions please!

Hello! DH and I need help narrowing down our girl list. We like way too many names!

Here it is:

[name]Fiona[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Etta[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Mila[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Coraline[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Isla[/name]

WDYT? Likes and dislike? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

[name]Fiona[/name]-- like it, but will she be forever associated with Shrek?
[name]Beatrix[/name]-- very cute, trendiness on the horizon?
[name]Scarlett[/name]-- love it, absolutely
[name]Hazel[/name]-- a personal favorite
[name]Etta[/name]-- feels insubstantial, should be a nn for something
[name]Eloise[/name]-- love it
[name]Mila[/name]-- does nothing for me
[name]Matilda[/name]-- okay, but I can’t get excited about it
[name]Agnes[/name]-- I like it a lot, but I don’t know how well it would go over on the playground
[name]Violet[/name]-- also revving its way towards trendiness, I think
[name]Georgia[/name]-- pretty
[name]Daphne[/name]-- very pretty, uncommon without being strange
[name]Coraline[/name]-- she’ll spend her life explaining that no, it’s not [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]-- pretty
[name]Phoebe[/name]-- does nothing for me
[name]Isla[/name]-- I like it

From your list, my favorites are [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]. Least faves are [name]Coraline[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Mila[/name].

As for suggestions, you seem to lean towards a classic, pretty style: what to you think of [name]Harriet[/name]/[name]Hattie[/name]? I encountered an absolutely precious little girl named [name]Hattie[/name] this weekend, and I am just swept away by the name.

Oooh! I love your names!

[name]Fiona[/name]: A lovely name

[name]Beatrix[/name]: I actually love [name]Beatrix[/name] more than I do [name]Beatrice[/name], as that “X” is so unique and stylish. [name]Beatrix[/name] has the class of [name]Beatrice[/name], but with an added bit of pep. (I do worry about people mistaking [name]Beatrix[/name] for [name]Beatrice[/name], though, making this a middle name option for me.)

[name]Scarlett[/name]: I love [name]Scarlett[/name], but for me, it’s more of a middle name, only because when I think of nicknames, the only thing that comes to mind is “Scar.”

[name]Hazel[/name]: I’m not a fan…

[name]Etta[/name]: A nice alternative to [name]Ella[/name], although it doesn’t hold a candle to the other names on your list in terms of sound or style. I’d also worry about the whole, “No! [name]Etta[/name], not [name]Ella[/name]!” issue.

[name]Eloise[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]! It’s elegant-yet-energetic, sophisticated-yet-fun, etc.

[name]Mila[/name]: I do like [name]Mila[/name]. It’s quite exotic and feminine, but at the same time, you just know there will be pronunciation issues. (“No! It’s Mee-luh, not 'Mill-luh!”)

[name]Matilda[/name]: Matlida is a lovely name, but I prefer [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], and [name]Eloise[/name].

[name]Agnes[/name]: While I like the sound of [name]Agnes[/name] in French (On-yez), I’m not a fan of the English pronunciation. It sounds dull and frumpy to me, in stark contrast to the vibrant, feminine names on your list.

[name]Violet[/name]: I’m a huge fan of [name]Violet[/name], but would probably use it as a middle name (but that’s just me!).

[name]Georgia[/name]: I adore [name]Georgia[/name], and the little [name]Georgia[/name] I know is the sweetest little thing in the world. I also think [name]Georgiana[/name] is gorgous.

[name]Daphne[/name]: [name]Daphne[/name] is just a beautiful name, although one I’d personally keep as a middle name, because I’d hate for anyone to call [name]Daphne[/name] “[name]Daffy[/name].”

[name]Coraline[/name]: Completely associated with the book and movie, I do think people will understand it’s pronunciation. That said, I still think it will often be confused with [name]Caroline[/name]. What about [name]Cora[/name] or [name]Cordelia[/name]?

[name]Cora[/name]: Oh! You do have [name]Cora[/name] on your list! :slight_smile: Yea! I’m a huge fan of [name]Cora[/name], as for me, it combines the elegance, class, and sweetness.

[name]Phoebe[/name]: While I do love [name]Phoebe[/name], I’ve completely ruined the name for myself, as every time I see it in print, the word “phobia” comes to mind. This, of course, is a shame, as it’s a truly stunning name.

[name]Isla[/name]: A beautiful name in danger of becoming trendy…

With the exception of [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], and [name]Etta[/name], I think the names on your list are wonderful choices. My favorites are:

[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]

My least favorites:
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Etta[/name]

Some of my favorite combinations:

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]

[name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]

[name]Etta[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Etta[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Etta[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Etta[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]

[name]Agnes[/name] [name]Isla[/name]

[name]Coraline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Coraline[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]

[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]

[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] (I love this one!)
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] (This is pretty!)
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]

Matlida [name]Beatrix[/name]
Matlida [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

[name]Mila[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Mila[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Mila[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Mila[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Mila[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]

You certainly don’t need any suggestions, but I can’t resist! :slight_smile: What about:
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]/[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Best wishes to you!

These are all great, you really can’t go wrong with any of them. But here’s my two cents :slight_smile:

[name]Fiona[/name]”cute, but not my favorite
[name]Beatrix[/name]”[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name], strikes a balance between old-fashioned and sassy
[name]Scarlett[/name]”like but don’t love
[name]Hazel[/name]”love the “z” sound, a sweet little name
[name]Etta[/name]”agree that it’s better as a nn
[name]Eloise[/name]-A personal favorite! It’s so trim and feminine, and I just love saying it.
[name]Mila[/name]”also seems like a nn
[name]Matilda[/name]”definitely in the clunky but cool category (a tad too clunky for me personally though)
[name]Agnes[/name]”see above
[name]Violet[/name]”[name]Violet[/name] was one of my favorites for awhile, but I could see it being in the top 20 in five years or so (if that doesn’t bother you then go for it, it’s a lovely name)
[name]Georgia[/name]”A girly girl with attitude”a great choice!
[name]Daphne[/name]”I like [name]Daphne[/name] but I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Coraline[/name]”A great name, one of my favorites, but with the new movie coming out I’d be worried about that association
[name]Cora[/name]”[name]Love[/name] [name]Cora[/name]!
[name]Phoebe[/name]”Doesn’t do much for me (and I still associate it with “Friends”)
[name]Isla[/name]”Very nice! I love the exotic feel

I’m thrilled to see [name]Agnes[/name] on your list! I love both [name]Agnes[/name] and [name]Agatha[/name], but probably mostly because they are “forbidden fruit” to me (my last name starts with Wag…). I know that they are still pretty clunky, but [name]Agnes[/name] feels charming and intelligent to me!

All of your names are great - my favorites are [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Matilda[/name].

i absolutely love your list! i wouldn’t be able to choose either!

[name]Fiona[/name]- sweet and spunky and surprisingly underused. love it!
[name]Beatrix[/name]- one of my favorites! love the nickname [name]Trixie[/name], everything about this name is fantastic. it’s classy and fun!
[name]Scarlett[/name]- another one of my VERY favorites! i would hug you if you named your baby this, i’ll never be able to use it but i soooo want to!
[name]Hazel[/name]- also on my list! i’m sure you’d get a lot of people saying they didn’t like it, but there’s just something about it… it’s old fashioned, but cool, at least to me. i think it’s that Z
[name]Etta[/name]- i like it, but not nearly as much as many of your other choices… how about using it as a nn for [name]Scarlett[/name]?
[name]Eloise[/name]- i just can’t get into this one, don’t know why.
[name]Mila[/name]- i don’t like this one
[name]Matilda[/name]- so cute
[name]Agnes[/name]- sort of the same feel as [name]Hazel[/name], but I don’t like it quite as much.
[name]Violet[/name]- great name, i’d be worried about it’s popularity though
[name]Georgia[/name]- love it, but prefer [name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]- love this too… same feel as [name]Fiona[/name], but I don’t like it as much. Really cute though
[name]Coraline[/name]- super cute, but have you seen the movie? she has to correct people all the time, and I’m sure that’s what would happen in real life… shame though, because I think [name]Coraline[/name] has a much prettier sound than [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]- i’d use this (or [name]Cordelia[/name], as someone else said) over [name]Coraline[/name].
[name]Phoebe[/name]- This goes in the same category as [name]Daphne[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] for me. Sweet and spunky.
[name]Isla[/name]- another one I’d be afraid is getting too popular… i’m not a big fan

[name]Fiona[/name]-we know a girl named [name]Fiona[/name], such a cute name
[name]Beatrix[/name]-very cute, but I have a hunch it will get really popular.
[name]Scarlett[/name]-so pretty
[name]Hazel[/name]-I think that eventually this will sound very dated. But it is cute.
[name]Etta[/name]-do not like
[name]Eloise[/name]-love!
[name]Mila[/name]-feel neutral about it. Like [name]Mia[/name] better but [name]Mia[/name] is so popular. Also love [name]Mirabella[/name] nn [name]Miri[/name] and [name]Mira[/name] (Mirror-ah) Actually I super duper love [name]Mirabella[/name]!
[name]Matilda[/name]-love it, but I think it will get trendy. If you love it, go for it! great nns: [name]Mattie[/name], [name]Tillie[/name], and [name]Tilda[/name]. I would definitely consider [name]Matilda[/name].
[name]Agnes[/name]-depends on where you live. If you live in a super cool area like Manhattan or someplace similar, you could name your baby [name]Agnes[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t do it in a more conservative area or she might be teased.
[name]Violet[/name]-beautiful, will get popular.
[name]Georgia[/name]-I love this. I don’t think it will get to the top 10, but you never know.
[name]Daphne[/name]-so lovely!
[name]Coraline[/name]-this is unique and pretty.
[name]Cora[/name]-[name]Love[/name]!
[name]Phoebe[/name]-[name]Love[/name]!
[name]Isla[/name]-I kind of like it.