Girl names are so challenging for us!

My fellow Newberries,

You have been so helpful narrowing down my boy names list to 2: [name]Reid[/name] or [name]Pierce[/name]. I love both with our last name. But now, we come to the girl names and I will focus exclusively on this problem. I find girl name so challenging! Am I alone in this? I can’t find a girl’s name that I truly love! Our last name is Czajkowski (pronounced Cha-cow-ski) and it’s been difficult to find a name that flows well with it. I am thinking 1-2 syllable names work best. We have a middle name, [name]London[/name], which is a family name picked out. My husband truly likes [name]Ann[/name] [name]London[/name] as a first name as it is unique, classic and sounds very feminine. He also likes [name]Catherine[/name] (nm [name]Kit[/name]) but it is not unique in the least although beautiful. Where is the happy medium? We want a unique name such as [name]Stanton[/name]'s is, but feminine, powerful and grows with the girl into adulthood!

I ask for your continued efforts now with girl names. Here are some ideas:

XXXXX [name]London[/name] Czajkowski
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Ann[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]

I have suggested the following which he has turned down:
[name]Sinclair[/name]
[name]Pearson[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] (our friend named their girl this)
Jospehine
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] (he doesn’t like unisex names)
[name]Mercer[/name]
Merin
[name]Campbell[/name]

The list continues… I ask for your help once again Newberries, as I am due very shortly!

Thank you!

Our son’s name is [name]Stanton[/name] [name]Benedict[/name] which are family names as well.

I’d go with [name]Constance[/name] from your list, it’s a beautiful beautiful name. [name]Constance[/name] [name]London[/name] Czajkowski.

[name]Catherine[/name] [name]London[/name] Czajkowski

My favourite because it is classic and strong. It also isn’t very long or fussy, which makes it a good fit for [name]Reid[/name] and [name]Pierce[/name] which are strong and streamlined. [name]Francesca[/name] is lovely but seems comparatively very overtly feminissima, and too long for the 1-2 syllable best flow. [name]Catherine[/name] is more tailored.

[name]Ann[/name] would be my second choice. It’s historic yet drifting out of the Top 1000, simple yet not nickname-ish. But, honestly, I don’t love it, and am not sure why.

Other options could include:
[name]Clare[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] - Far less popular than [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] - Some of the same simplicity as [name]Ann[/name], but perhaps that touch more stylish. Still not very popular, considering how classic it is.
[name]Blythe[/name] - Uncommon, but sheer and light at 1 syllable.

I like shorter names with your last name. [name]Francesca[/name] is beautiful, but there’s a lot of “cha” sound in there! Has he come up with any suggestions? It can be really challenging to constantly be the one suggesting things that your husband is rejecting. I made my husband look names up online one night…it was very helpful in the end!

Some thoughts…

[name]Fern[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]June[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Sally[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Mae[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Darby[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Thora[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Nelle[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Twila[/name] [name]London[/name]

My husband made the suggestion of [name]Camille[/name] [name]London[/name] Czajkowski this morning. This has a nice short, strong tone to it. I do love [name]Jane[/name], [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Clare[/name] (although popular?), and [name]Darby[/name]! I must agree that 1-2 syllable names go best with our long last name.

I do find it challenging that my husband loves to say “no” but offers little suggestions, so I greatly appreciate your help fellow Newberries. [name]Stanton[/name] [name]Benedict[/name] needs a sister’s name!

I’m not a big fan of [name]Ann[/name]. I do like [name]Catherine[/name] (though I prefer it with a K, especially if using the nn [name]Kit[/name]). [name]Francesca[/name] [name]London[/name] also has a nice ring to it.

Other ideas:

[name]Lita[/name] [name]London[/name] (since you like [name]Lydia[/name] but can’t use it, this might be a compromise. It’s pronounced [name]LEE[/name]-ta)
[name]Josie[/name] [name]London[/name] (I know he didn’t like [name]Josephine[/name], but maybe just [name]Josie[/name]?)
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Eva[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Michaela[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Kate[/name] [name]London[/name]

Ooh, I like [name]Camille[/name]!
Other thoughts…
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Della[/name]

I like [name]Camille[/name] as well. I don’t hear it very often at all.

Thoughts on double first names, as [name]London[/name] is a family name and would make a unique, strong first name.
[name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Kate[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Eva[/name] [name]London[/name]

Any preferences? I think [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] vs [name]Kate[/name] [name]London[/name] if we are choosing between double first names. [name]Both[/name] [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] are simple yet strong names by themselves. He actually liked [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] this morning, but continues to ponder this one. It’s currently a front runner with [name]Catherine[/name] and possible [name]Kate[/name] [name]London[/name]. Thoughts?

I believe someone else was considering [name]Kate[/name] [name]London[/name] as a double first name for their daughter recently on Nameberry. Only on this site would you find two [name]Kate[/name] Londons up for consideration as double first names. They would probably be the only two in the world. I digress. I will say that [name]Kate[/name] [name]London[/name] does seem a bit like a homage to the duchess. I like [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] best of the three you offered.

I, also, really love [name]Camille[/name] as an option. It is such a wonderful name both lovely and strong. I also liked [name]Ann[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name].

I actually love [name]Ann[/name]!

From your update: [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] or [name]Eva[/name] [name]London[/name] are both lovely too. I’m torn between those three, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them, but I think [name]Eva[/name] sounds the best to my ear.

[name]Constance[/name] is gorgeous, but [name]Constance[/name] Czajkowski is a bit tongue twistery.

Yes, [name]Constance[/name] Czajkowski is a tongue twister which is why it remains low on the list! But, I do love it. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t flow well.

More thoughts:
[name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] (double first name)
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]London[/name] (double first name)
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Maren[/name] (instead of [name]Lauren[/name])

I’m not set on a double name but it is unique but does it have the strength of [name]Stanton[/name]? I remain open minded and your suggestions have been so thought provoking and insightful! Thank you

[name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]

I’d order them

1. [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] ([name]Jane[/name] is gorgeous and [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] does sound positively regal. Would you be concerned if people didnt always use the double barrel? I think you need to decide if that will be frustrating or if you’ll call her [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] and not mind if others sometimes just say [name]Jane[/name])
  2. [name]Sabine[/name] ([name]Sabine[/name] & [name]Stanton[/name] are great, but if youre planning more children, you may feel locked into S names, I dont think you are necessarily, but you might set that expectation)
  3. [name]Catherine[/name]

We would use [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] as her first name. As we live in the South, people are accustomed to a double first name. We thought [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] sounded stronger and more regal than [name]Ann[/name] [name]London[/name], although we love both. What are your thoughts?

As for [name]Sabine[/name], I thought it was a unique and strong name. We don’t plan on having more children… just [name]Stanton[/name] and ?

We love [name]Catherine[/name] too, but although strong and feminine, it is much more common here in our area.

I love [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name]. It’s strong without being masculine.

I like [name]Catherine[/name] but I can understand counting its popularity against it. [name]Jane[/name] doesn’t suffer from popularity and [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] is distinctive without sounding strange.

[name]Sabine[/name] I really like but I think I would rank it third just because I love the other two so much.

My husband said he completely agrees with you about [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] and it is number one on his list! You are so insightful in your description of the names! [name]Jane[/name] has the elegance, simplicity and strength to it that we love. [name]London[/name] is a family name and honors them!

[name]Adalia[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Katerina[/name] is more unique than [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Natasha[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]

What about [name]Katherine[/name] [name]London[/name] nickname [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Kate[/name] [name]London[/name]? (or [name]Catherine[/name]/[name]Cate[/name] if you like C) I think [name]Catherine[/name] sounds nice with your last name and sounds good with [name]Stanton[/name]. I really love [name]Kate[/name], too though, and [name]Jane[/name]! Good luck!

I hear what you’re saying about wanting a name that’s more unusual than [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Kit[/name] is more unusual, but anyway…
[name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] is great. I picture a young [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] looking like the [name]Morton[/name] Salt girl, and a grownup [name]Jane[/name] [name]London[/name] like [name]Grace[/name] [name]Kelly[/name].
[name]Camille[/name] [name]London[/name]- I slightly prefer [name]Camilla[/name] [name]London[/name] for flow, but I think either really fits the tone you’re going for.
[name]Sabine[/name]- I love [name]Sabine[/name], but [name]Sabine[/name] [name]London[/name] feels off to me, like the name of a shoe store.
Not wild about [name]Clara[/name] [name]London[/name] as a compound name, or [name]Maren[/name] [name]London[/name] (repeated endings)

[name]Constance[/name] and [name]Stanton[/name] sound pretty awesome to me. I’d be wary of [name]Francesca[/name] with your middle and last name. They all sound very geographical when put together.

Not a fan of [name]London[/name] as a name, and hyphenating makes it even worse (in my opinion). My name is [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Jane[/name], so I think those names are pretty awesome :slight_smile: