Girl Names to Honor Charles

My husband HATES Charlotte, so that’s a definite no. He’s not a huge fan of Caroline either. Thoughts on Charlize or Charlese? Other feminized Charles suggestions?

Edit: thanks for all the suggestions! My dad’s name is Charles, his dad’s name was Charles and his dad’s name was Charles. My mom’s twin sister also married a Charles and their son, my cousin (more like a brother), is also Charles. I would have been Charles Patrick had I been a boy. I like Francesca and Lottie, but am looking more for the same sounds and aesthetic of Charles to keep it going. Honestly, even Caroline didn’t really seem close enough to me. My cousin won’t be having any kids and it’s already skipped a generation on my dad’s side. I do like Charlene. Is it ready to come back? It feels a little dated to me still while Charlize seems fresh and interesting. Charlie is cute, but I’m not a huge fan of NNs on the birth certificate. Thanks again!

How about just [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]?

I much prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] to [name_f]Charlize[/name_f] and Charlese.

Only other I can think of are Carlotta/Carlota, or just Lottie/Lotte :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

[name_u]Caro[/name_u] or [name_u]Karo[/name_u]

1 Like

Maybe [name_f]Charlene[/name_f] or [name_f]Carla[/name_f]?

[name_u]Charles[/name_u] means free man so you could do something based off of the meaning.

2 Likes

[name_f]Charlize[/name_f] works! I do find it strongly associated with the actress though.

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Lotta[/name_f], [name_f]Lina[/name_f], Cara/Caro feel like fresh spins on [name_u]Charles[/name_u] to me. Maybe even [name_u]Harlow[/name_u]?

[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]? Bit of a wildcard but it’s a very near anagram. Ditto [name_f]Selah[/name_f].

Charmain(e) or [name_f]Charmian[/name_f]? [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] or [name_u]Carmel[/name_u]?

2 Likes

[name_f]Charla[/name_f], [name_u]Carlin[/name_u], [name_f]Carley[/name_f], [name_f]Arli[/name_f], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_u]Chase[/name_u]

names that mean free:
[name_u]Liberty[/name_u], [name_u]Darby[/name_u], [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_u]Isra[/name_u], [name_u]Free[/name_u] (so cool!)

2 Likes

[name_u]Harley[/name_u]
[name_f]Chantal[/name_f] (maybe a stretch…)
[name_u]Halle[/name_u]
[name_f]Cheryl[/name_f]
[name_f]Hailey[/name_f]
[name_f]Carly[/name_f]
[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Charlize[/name_f] is cute!!

[name_f]Charlene[/name_f] came to mind too :slight_smile:

Other ideas to honour Charles…

[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_u]Charleston[/name_u]
[name_f]Charis[/name_f]
[name_f]Charmaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Charm[/name_f]
Charley/Charlee
[name_f]Cailey[/name_f]
[name_f]Cherry[/name_f]
[name_f]Cherith[/name_f]
[name_f]Cherilyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
Channings
[name_f]Clarice[/name_f]

Not all direct variants but might work as honours due to look, letters and sound

1 Like

This is a really good idea! How about [name_f]Frances[/name_f] or [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]?

1 Like

Maybe Chelsea?? It has all the same letters

[name_f]Carly[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlene[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Carlotta[/name_f]

1 Like

I’ve begun to like [name_f]Charlize[/name_f] out of the blue!
[name_u]Carol[/name_u], [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f].
[name_f]Carly[/name_f], [name_u]Carling[/name_u].
[name_f]Carolina[/name_f].
[name_f]Cady[/name_f], [name_f]Caddie[/name_f], [name_f]Carrie[/name_f].
[name_f]Carlotta[/name_f].

1 Like

I don’t really like [name_f]Charlize[/name_f] or Charlese, to be honest. I love [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], so it’s a shame he dislikes it. Some others I can think of are [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_f]Charla[/name_f], [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], [name_u]Carol[/name_u], [name_f]Carlotta[/name_f], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u].

1 Like

Is [name_f]Clara[/name_f] too much of a strecth? I think using names that relate to something that the person being honoured enjoyed/enjoys or likes, Is there something that [name_u]Charles[/name_u] likes/liked that could be used instead? Other names that could be used:

[name_f]Carla[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolina[/name_f]
[name_u]Channing[/name_u]
[name_u]Charleston[/name_u]
[name_u]Camille[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]Charline[/name_f]
[name_f]Carla[/name_f]
Charlène
[name_u]Carol[/name_u] / [name_f]Carole[/name_f] / [name_f]Carola[/name_f]
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
[name_u]Arlie[/name_u] / [name_u]Arley[/name_u]
[name_u]Kay[/name_u]
[name_u]Kitty[/name_u]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] / [name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_f]Franny[/name_f]
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Françoise[/name_f]
[name_u]Fran[/name_u]
[name_f]Francine[/name_f]
[name_f]Franziska[/name_f]
[name_f]Franka[/name_f] / [name_f]Franca[/name_f]
Francette
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] / [name_u]Charly[/name_u] / [name_f]Charli[/name_f] / [name_f]Charlee[/name_f]
[name_f]Char[/name_f]
[name_f]Charla[/name_f]
Arlesa / Arlèse / Arlessa
Arlène / [name_f]Arline[/name_f]
Arlotte / Arlotta
[name_f]Carlotta[/name_f] / [name_f]Carlota[/name_f]
[name_u]Harley[/name_u]
Harlène / [name_f]Arlena[/name_f] / Harlena
Marlène / [name_f]Marlena[/name_f]
[name_u]Lessie[/name_u]
Lessa
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_f]Lela[/name_f] / [name_f]Lele[/name_f] / Leli
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
Chessy
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f] / [name_f]Lotty[/name_f]
[name_f]Lotte[/name_f] / [name_f]Lotta[/name_f]
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]
[name_u]Liberty[/name_u]
[name_f]Libby[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_f]Chrysalis[/name_f]
[name_f]Chrisantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Charm[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Charlene[/name_f] or just [name_u]Charley[/name_u]?

1 Like

[name_f]Charla[/name_f]
Carla/Carly
[name_u]Lesley[/name_u] (coming off the end of Charles)
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_f]Charmian[/name_f]
[name_u]Carmen[/name_u]
[name_u]Carmel[/name_u]
[name_f]Carmella[/name_f]

1 Like

I know a college-aged [name_f]Charlene[/name_f] and it doesn’t feel super dated to me. I think it’s ready for a comeback :slight_smile: especially with its similarity to popular names like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Lena[/name_f].

1 Like

We have had the same problem! Lots of [name_u]Charles[/name_u], but don’t want to repeat other names. But one we found that I liked was [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. Spelled this way feels more related to [name_u]Charles[/name_u] and not too much of a stretch, but still classic!

1 Like