Girl names to honor grandfather

Hello! I really want to honor my grandfather with a girl name! His name was [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_u]Verne[/name_u] but went by [name_u]Verne[/name_u]. I have thought of [name_f]Verna[/name_f] or [name_f]Vera[/name_f] as well as [name_f]Willa[/name_f] but I’m not a big fan of that.

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 Like

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] are really sweet, I think. :heart: But also, just [name_u]Verne[/name_u] itself could be excellent! [name_u]Fern[/name_u] also comes to mind, feels a bit more feminine.

2 Likes

[name_f]Verna[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] are all sweet.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any of the great nicknames for [name_u]William[/name_u]? If so, there’s something to work off there? (E.g. nickname [name_m]Bill[/name_m], could go with something like Sybil)

Other ideas: [name_f]Laverne[/name_f], [name_f]Laverna[/name_f], [name_f]Verona[/name_f], [name_f]Veronique[/name_f], [name_f]Verbena[/name_f], [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_u]Waverly[/name_u], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_f]Willodean[/name_f]

I have always loved [name_f]Willamina[/name_f] ( alternatively [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] ) & agree with @snowmaiden that [name_u]Fern[/name_u] could work beautifully as well

1 Like

Back with another suggestion that [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] feels like she could work great! Sort of like [name_u]Verne[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_f]Leah[/name_f] from the lia in [name_u]William[/name_u]
[name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]

From [name_u]Verne[/name_u]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_u]Ever[/name_u]
[name_u]River[/name_u]

Maybe

[name_f]Vesna[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]

Not sure if you’re into meanings, but I looked into the meaning of Verne! According to Nameberry it means “place of alders”…

• I think Alder would make a cool name for girl! Definitely a bit brave though
  • There’s also Nelda, which means “one who lives by the alder tree”

Good luck!!

1 Like

another one I haven’t seen mentioned is [name_u]Billie[/name_u]!

1 Like

Vera is nice!!

William Verne…

Willow
Mila (from William → Liam → Mila)
Wilhemina
Nevra (William Verne)
Neve (Verne)
Eve (Verne)
Maeve (William Verne)
Millie (William Verne)
Veronica

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] immediate thought was [name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Verna[/name_f]!

[name_u]Willow[/name_u] can definitely honour a [name_u]William[/name_u] and it’s a lovely name. [name_u]Willow[/name_u] feels peaceful with a bohemian flair. [name_f]Verna[/name_f] works as a middle name.

I also like the idea of [name_u]Billie[/name_u] to honour [name_u]William[/name_u]. [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is one of those unisex names that I actually love! I think [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is fab. Maybe [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_f]Laverne[/name_f]? For a cool 70s inspired name.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] these suggestions help

2 Likes

[name_f]Wilhelmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilma[/name_f]
Willamette
[name_u]Billie[/name_u]
[name_u]Vernon[/name_u]
[name_u]Verne[/name_u]
[name_f]Laverne[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronique[/name_f]
[name_f]Verona[/name_f]
I think of Mt. [name_u]Vernon[/name_u] - Martha??

how about [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] or [name_u]Willow[/name_u]?

Elliam Wyvern comes to mind. Bit of a fantasy character name maybe

Hmm Verlia [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]
If I re-arrange letters I get Willmia [name_u]Evren[/name_u]

[name_f]Wilma[/name_f]
[name_f]Ilma[/name_f] (added benefit of meaning “starlight” in Quenya, a language invented by Tolkien)
[name_f]Wilhelmine[/name_f]

[name_u]Willow[/name_u] possibly? [name_u]Or[/name_u] is it too far fetched?