"Girls in white dresses..."

[name]Nephele[/name], your shoes are amazing. I would want some desperately, but my feet are wide and so I have to buy European shoes. It is a bummer. Plus I look terrible in black. I wish I looked great in black, but at the age of 50, I am accepting my fate. I do look great in dark brown and aubergine.
The Chinese pink corduroy shoes I wore to my wedding were nice and wide. I wanted to have a smile on my face while I got married instead of thinking about how my feet hurt. Back then I didn’t know about European shoes.
Yes, you would love Melrose!

The L.A. girls look like
Some of the girls are wearing huaraches with have little nails in the soles that kind of bother their feet. Except for [name]Echo[/name]. And [name]Venice[/name]. And Zuma.
[name]Angel[/name] - She has big dark eyes and a flower in her hair like those old postcards of Mexican children. I love them so much I can hardly stand it. I don’t know how to put a picture of her on my post. She has on a rebozo, and a lovely simple white dress. Her socks are a pale blue. One has a little hole by the toe. She is wearing socks and sandals.
[name]Brea[/name] - She has on an embroidered white cotton shirt with birds on it. She has braids, a pretty white skirt with painted flowers. She is holding a calla lily.
[name]Camellia[/name] - I changed [name]Catalina[/name] to [name]Camellia[/name] ([name]Camellia[/name] for Descanso Gardens in La [name]Canada[/name]) - She has blonde hair. And she is wearing a velvet skirt that is white of course with little colorful ribbons sewn on the edges. She has a purse made out of shiny gum wrappers.
[name]Echo[/name] - [name]Echo[/name] is cooler than cool. She has black hair and turquoise sparkly glasses. She is wearing white linen that has frayed edges and big black cowboy boots with very pointed toes. She has dark purple nail polish. She has on a plum velvet vest with [name]Indian[/name] embroidered designs on it and little mirrors are sewn into the fabric.
Melrose has pink hair and emerald green earrings shaped like triangles. She is wearing an embroidered white happy coat and thick white leggings over gray stockings. She has a vintage black patent leather purse. She has a necklace with large, jagged black stones. Her hair is black and straight.
[name]Venice[/name] has on a white bathing suit. It is vintage with a skirt. She has a white bathing cap with white plastic daisies hanging off of it. Her huaraches are very comfortable and do not have sharp nails. They are brand new and white. [name]Venice[/name] has on pink nail polish. She has black hair that is in a hundred little braids.
Zuma is wearing a little white bikini, but she has a floaty, white, silky top that she is wearing over it. She has on white plastic sandals and silver toe rings. So cool. She is wearing a seed pearl bracelet and earrings. Her toenails are painted silver. She has on a white baseball cap. Her sunglasses are white.

Wow, [name]Susan[/name] and [name]Nephele[/name], have you two been indulging in hallucigenic substances?!

The chess pieces are unbelievably beautiful. The slippers have left me (uncharactistically) speechless.

This topic has got wings, as they say! And what do you mean by European shoes? Are you implying we have all got fat feet??

love as usual

RedRiding
xxx

[name]Ailsa[/name], thank God for European shoes, or what would I wear? My poor feet would hurt and I would be in a bad mood all day. I’m talking about [name]Clarke[/name], Mephisto, Dansko, [name]Finn[/name] [name]Comfort[/name], and other shoes. Clarkes are English (as I’m sure you know and they fit me), I think Mephistos are [name]German[/name], Dansko are Scandinavian, and [name]Finn[/name] [name]Comfort[/name] are, of course, Finnish. Here in [name]California[/name], we call them European shoes. There are narrow, ouchy American shoes and there are fabulous and comfortable European shoes. I get them at Lucha’s, a store in the little town where I live. Or I get them at Walk this [name]Way[/name], a store where I used to live. They even had European shoes in [name]Colorado[/name]. I don’t buy them often because they are so expensive. Some of my shoes are ten years old. My slippers are Halfinger - my mother-in-law bought them for me last [name]Christmas[/name]. When my husband bought me red sandals for my birthday, that was a big deal. They were [name]Finn[/name] [name]Comfort[/name] so they were expensive. I wear these less expensive [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name] shoes a lot - Keens from [name]China[/name]. They are so comfortable that I can wear them all day. When I go to Disneyland, I wear them with nice, thick socks. My socks are not white. They are interesting colors and patterns, of course.

Well well well! (as my mother says) - so have Americans got thin feet generally, or do they just like to suffer?

Yes, I was brought up in Clarks shoes, and in fact have just got myself a pair of knee-high Clarks red boots called Kimono [name]Sash[/name]! Yummy.

xxx

You are lucky to have such choices. I have never seen [name]Clark[/name] boots!
I know some women who have very narrow feet but everyone in my family has really wide but not long feet. [name]Even[/name] my husband. And we all have large calves. My son [name]Peter[/name] says some people have surgery to have great looking calves like ours. But it is difficult to pull knee socks over them. Then the knee socks get all stretched out and fall down all the time. I just don’t buy knee socks anymore.
Many American women suffer from wearing ouchy but gorgeous shoes. I refuse to wear them. My daughter bought a pair of very high-heeled silver shoes to wear to a dance. [name]Ouch[/name]! I do not approve.

What a lovley idea.
I’m a big “Sound of [name]Music[/name]” fan.
My 8 would be-
Blanchefleur
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Nevada[/name]
[name]Whitney[/name]-looks a bit like “white”
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Precious[/name]

[name]Susan[/name], that’s quite a detailed list of personified chess pieces!

Hahahaha! [name]Ailsa[/name], I think we all just get naturally high on names over here!

[name]Rosamund[/name], thanks for your list! I think [name]Nevada[/name] is a lovely name.

– [name]Nephele[/name]