Girls name (choice of 2)

What about [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Anne[/name]? That way you could use both.[/quote]

I really only like [name]Anne[/name] as a first name. The main appeal of [name]Anne[/name] to me is the nn [name]Annie[/name] - and you can’t get there by hiding it in the middle.

Another quick thought:

I actually know quite a few young Margarets (everywhere from mid-twenties on down), so I don’t think it has an “old” feel at all.
[name]Anne[/name] on the other hand certainly does, as I only know [name]Ann[/name]/e’s in my grandparent’s generation.

So if an “older” sound is something you are going for, then use [name]Anne[/name].

What about [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Anne[/name]? That way you could use both.[/quote]

I really only like [name]Anne[/name] as a first name. The main appeal of [name]Anne[/name] to me is the nn [name]Annie[/name] - and you can’t get there by hiding it in the middle.[/quote]

If the main appeal for you is the nn [name]Annie[/name], there are other names that might appeal to you and the rest of the Nameberry community more.

Some that could provide the nickname [name]Annie[/name]:
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Joanne[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]

I’m afraid not all of these have that old, turn-of-the-century vibe you seem to be going for but I find that they are all suitable full names for the nn [name]Annie[/name].

I love [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Ellen[/name]. Gorgeous name.

Thanks for the list, but I generally stick with the traditional route to the nickname. The only real alternative to [name]Anne[/name] that I have considered is just going with the formal name of [name]Annie[/name], since that was actually what was most common around the turn of the century. But I like the fact that [name]Annie[/name] is a nickname, and if it were the name on the birth certificate… well, it wouldn’t be a nickname anymore.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I voted for [name]Anne[/name], but I don’t like it with Renfro. I understand wanting to use a family name, but with a short and simple first name like [name]Anne[/name], it seems like a double whammy to deprive your daughter of a second name-name (Renfro just doesn’t fit the bill because having Renfro in the middle is more like having two last names than two firsts, which is the way most middle names work - as a second first).
I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Anne[/name] [name]Louise[/name]!
Would you consider two middle names?

I like [name]Margaret[/name]!!! And, another cute nn is “[name]Daisy[/name]” for [name]Margaret[/name].

I’m not really into two middle names. I do like the sound of [name]Anne[/name] [name]Louise[/name] (which is why it’s on my list) but I worry it sounds almost hyphenated. That’s not a deal-breaker, just my concern.

Dizzy,

Are you opposed to [name]Anna[/name]? [name]Anna[/name] [name]Louise[/name] “[name]Annie[/name]” is gorgeous. I personally prefer [name]Anna[/name] to [name]Anne[/name] because it has a more playful, feminine feel. Where [name]Anne[/name] is entirely straitlaced to me, [name]Anna[/name] can let loose. But, the distinction between [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] is understandably a personal preference. I just mention it because [name]Anna[/name] is on my list to get to the nickname of [name]Annie[/name], which - I agree with you! - is totally sweet!

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

PS [name]Margaret[/name] is also on my list, if only for the [name]Maggie[/name] nickname.

I’m not opposed to [name]Anna[/name] - I think it’s a lovely name. I just think [name]Anne[/name] sounds a bit more classic and would be a more surprising choice for a child today. It sounds like you and I have similar taste in names ([name]Annie[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] alike), but I think for what I’m going for, [name]Anne[/name] would be a better fit than [name]Anna[/name].

I had a hard time choosing between [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Anne[/name]! I finally chose [name]Anne[/name].

I like your taste in names :slight_smile:

What was the decisive factor? Any regrets? Does she always go by [name]Anne[/name] or do you call her [name]Annie[/name] sometimes?

As an [name]Anne[/name] who goes by [name]Annie[/name], I have to put in my vote for it! I’m very happy to have been named [name]Anne[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] stopping by to root for [name]Anne[/name]. :slight_smile: Go, [name]Anne[/name]! :slight_smile:

Well, [name]Jill[/name], no one can accuse you of being a fair-weather fan. Weirdly, I’m kinda rooting for [name]Anne[/name] as well - even though I’m supposed to be the neutral party! Poor [name]Maggie[/name]…

My sister’s name is [name]Anne[/name] [name]Marie[/name], but she has always been called [name]Annie[/name]. I absolutely love it and think it’s adorable. Unfortunately, [name]Annie[/name] (who is 33) has never liked her name because she thinks it sounds too folksy or unsophisticated.

Well, [name]Jill[/name], no one can accuse you of being a fair-weather fan. Weirdly, I’m kinda rooting for [name]Anne[/name] as well - even though I’m supposed to be the neutral party! Poor [name]Maggie[/name]…[/quote]

[name]Maggie[/name] is getting a lot of love, though! At one point, poor [name]Anne[/name] was all but left in the dust in your poll. I was so happy to see that [name]Anne[/name] had suddenly pulled within six votes, and I wanted to lend some support (because, you know, it’s not at all nerdy to be so into a name poll). :slight_smile:

Have a good night, Dizzy!

Random thought – for no reason that I can identify, I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Anne[/name]-[name]Marie[/name]/ [name]Anne[/name] [name]Marie[/name], so if that was an option rather than just [name]Anne[/name], I would throw my support over to the other side! Lol! :slight_smile: