Girls name poll :)

See the results of this poll: Which is your favourite?

Respondents: 37 (This poll is closed)

• Dora: 1 (3%)
  • Cora: 8 (22%)
  • Flora: 10 (27%)
  • Nora: 9 (24%)
  • Laura: 7 (19%)
  • Zora: 2 (5%)
  • Maura: 0 (0%)

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Elena[/name]!

[name]Dora[/name] - The [name]Explorer[/name]! Ha! This sounds too young and childish to me, so I have a hard time seeing an older [name]Dora[/name], especially in the teenage years. I think it would be best as a nickname for [name]Dorothea[/name], myself.

[name]Cora[/name] - [name]Cora[/name] is nice, I think. It is vintage yet fresh, unique yet recognizable, feminine yet strong. The perfect mix! The name has a fun, playful sound that sparkles and shines, and I could see it on an exuberant, confident young lady!

[name]Flora[/name] - I really do love [name]Flora[/name]. [name]Flora[/name] is my favorite of the [name]Flo[/name]- names (well, actually I don’t care for any of the others). [name]Flora[/name] sounds soft and gentle to me, and I love the natural connection! [name]Flora[/name] is decidedly vintage, but the soft, feminine flair of the name makes it accessible in any generation. [name]Love[/name] it!

[name]Nora[/name] - I’ve never been a [name]Nora[/name] fan. I won’t put it into words again, as it got me in trouble before. Simply put, [name]Nora[/name] is my [name]Jasper[/name] of the girls’ set - I cannot get on board with either. That being said, [name]Nora[/name] makes a nice nickname for [name]Annora[/name], among others…

[name]Laura[/name] - My name is [name]Lauren[/name], and [name]Laura[/name] definitely feels much more timeless, elegant, playful, and sweet! I think it is a great name that is unfortunately (or maybe not!) underused! [name]Laura[/name] always makes me think of [name]Laura[/name] Ingalls [name]Wilder[/name], too, and I adored her books as a child. Great name!

[name]Zora[/name] - [name]Zora[/name] [name]Neale[/name] Hurston is really a fantastic author, but this name takes a special person to pull off, I think. That being said, it sounds sassy and fresh to me, definitely an unexpected vintage choice! All I’m saying is I don’t see [name]Zora[/name] on a pale, blonde wall-flower type of girl. She needs to be bold, confident, spunky, and adventurous! Really cool name, though!

[name]Maura[/name] - Hmm. I don’t think I much care for [name]Maura[/name]. Whereas with [name]Laura[/name], I say it more like [name]Lora[/name] (don’t kill me!), [name]Maura[/name] has that more rounded “aww” sound that doesn’t appeal to me as much. [name]Maura[/name] could be fun and spunky, but it feels a bit dated and tired to me. Yeah, I’m just not sure on this name. Sorry!

FAVORITES - [name]Flora[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Laura[/name], [name]Zora[/name]
LEAST FAVORITES - [name]Nora[/name], ([name]Maura[/name])

Take care, [name]Elena[/name], and if you celebrate it, [name]Happy[/name] [name]Easter[/name]! If not, have a beautiful [name]Spring[/name] day!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Laura[/name], [name]Cora[/name], and [name]Flora[/name] are my favorites. I voted for [name]Laura[/name]. I love [name]Cora[/name] as a nn for [name]Cordelia[/name]. I also love [name]Nora[/name] as a nn for [name]Leonora[/name].
For my own daughter, I would choose the name [name]Laura[/name]. I would never get tired of it. In fact, my daughter is named [name]Laura[/name].
My aunt was named [name]Flora[/name]. She was really odd, so it would be hard for me to use the name [name]Flora[/name].
I would name my own daughter [name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name], too.
[name]Leonora[/name] is gorgeous. I would use that name, too.

Have to go with plain, familiar [name]Laura[/name]. I’d take [name]Laurel[/name] over it in practice, though.

There are other [name]Cor[/name]- names I’d take over [name]Cora[/name], ranging from [name]Corinne[/name] to [name]Coral[/name].

[name]Nora[/name] is my favorite. [name]Lovely[/name]. [name]Laura[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] are pretty too.

[name]Laura[/name] is my baby’s name.
Also love [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Nora[/name].
I prefer [name]Mara[/name] to [name]Maura[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Elena[/name]!

Yay, I finally have the chance to comment on a poll of yours! Total roll reversal lol, hope I’ll do a good job…

[name]Dora[/name] - I’m really warming to [name]Dora[/name]. I do immediately think of The [name]Explorer[/name] which is putting me off loving it but it conjures up the image of someone youthful, fun loving and friendly. Like [name]Lemon[/name], I’m having a hard time seeing it on a teenager; I couldn’t imagine calling one of my friends ‘[name]Dora[/name]!’, but I think it fits of every other age group. The meaning is wonderful; ‘gift’ and I think it’d make a gorgeous nn for [name]Isadora[/name] or [name]Pandora[/name].

[name]Cora[/name] - Hmmm… I’m just not feeling [name]Cora[/name]. It does look very pretty written down but I keep hearing ‘core’ when I say it out loud and that seems odd to me. If it’s the mythological connection that’s appealing, I would look to [name]Persephone[/name] or I would use [name]Cora[/name] as a nn for [name]Cordelia[/name].

[name]Flora[/name] - Not a fan, sorry! There’s a popular brand of margerine here called [name]Flora[/name] and whenever I see it I can here the add in my head ‘Try [name]Flora[/name] Pro-active today!’. But getting away from that, it just looks a bit too frilly to me. I love the flower connection but I think [name]Fleur[/name] would be nicer. I picture [name]Flora[/name] as someone who wears over the top hats and puffy dresses… I think that’s just me though:)

[name]Nora[/name] - I voted for [name]Nora[/name]:slight_smile: I think it’s beautiful, refined and classy but with charm and the meaning ‘light’ is wonderful. Definitely my favourite here. I like it best as a full name but it does make a gorgeous nn for [name]Leonora[/name] of [name]Eleanor[/name] too.

[name]Laura[/name] - Is lovely. I love how it rolls of your tongue and it sounds so luscious and refreshing. I think it ages well and is familiar but not too popular. It reminds me of nature, ribbons and little girls with long blonde hair playing in a paddock or something.

[name]Zora[/name] - Is zany! It sounds very bright, colourful, loud and bold to me, it packs quite a punch for a four letter name and has bundles of character. I love the literary reference but it reminds me of Zoro too much and I have trouble seeing on someone with a serious job ‘All rise for the honourable [name]Judge[/name] [name]Zora[/name]…’ doesn’t sound right to me. I do love it’s meaning though, perhaps it would be best in the middle?

[name]Maura[/name] - Not loving it. It doesn’t look attractive written down and doesn’t sound all that great when I say it. It makes me think of a middle aged nurse who smokes a lot and works too hard, no idea why! I just can’t imagine it on a little girl and even less on a teenager. I far prefer just plain [name]Mary[/name], which is sweeter and more usable in my opinion.

Wow, sorry if my comments bordered on rude there, I got quite into it! [name]Just[/name] trying to be straight out honest. I really love [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Laura[/name] from the list and I’m liking [name]Dora[/name] and [name]Zora[/name] too:) Have you considered [name]Tora[/name], [name]Leora[/name] or [name]Thora[/name]? [name]Tora[/name] and [name]Thora[/name] both relate to ‘thunder’ and [name]Leora[/name] means ‘light’, just like [name]Nora[/name]!

[name]Hope[/name] you’re having a good [name]Easter[/name]:slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

Thanks so much for all of the votes and all the comments so far :slight_smile:

[name]Don[/name]'t worry if you feel a little harsh with any of your comments, these aren’t names that I would necessarily use. I just thought that it would be interesting to see which one you liked best, seen as they all end in the same sound.

[name]Lemon[/name]-
I know what you mean about [name]Dora[/name] the explorer and I was actually thinking about it as a nn for [name]Dorothea[/name], and then they could go by [name]Dot[/name] or [name]Thea[/name] when they grew out of [name]Dora[/name].
Funny what you said about [name]Laura[/name], because I know quite a few, I put it on the poll because despite how many I have know, it hasn’t clouded my view of the name. I just love it’s understated simplicity.
I definitely agree with you on [name]Zora[/name], I do tend to like names where being a [name]Wall[/name]-flower isn’t much of an option, but I think it is sort of nice that it takes a special person to pull off, so then if I ever had a [name]Zora[/name], and she knew that people thought she’d be special, I hope that made some sense.
Having never met a [name]Maura[/name] and only discovered it on nameberry, I can’t see it as dated and your pronouciation probably makes a difference too. I guess because I am English, I pronounce it the same as the others. It’s not my favourite either though, I don’t think it sounds as happy as the other.

[name]Susan[/name]- Your daughter has such a lovely name, I think you have amazing taste! I love [name]Cora[/name] as a nn for [name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Leonora[/name] is beautiful as well, too close to my own name for me to ever use though :frowning: I have an aunt named [name]Flora[/name] and she is most of the reason that I love the name [name]Flora[/name], she is just one of the most cheerful and uplifting people I’ve ever met.

Triplicate- I also prefer [name]Laurel[/name] to [name]Laura[/name] and it’s funny you mentioned [name]Corinne[/name] and [name]Coral[/name] as alternatives to [name]Cora[/name], they are two of my favourites!

[name]Sarah[/name]- [name]Laura[/name] is a gorgeous name :slight_smile: I also really like [name]Mara[/name]

[name]Jenevieve[/name]- thanks for your vote for [name]Nora[/name], I love [name]Nora[/name] too :slight_smile:

[name]Charlie[/name]- [name]Hi[/name]! Yeah, I’m working myself up to posting a proper poll of my favourites, I need to do a lot of whittling down first.

With [name]Dora[/name] I certainly couldn’t imagine calling any of my friends [name]Dora[/name], like you, I often find it pretty hard to resist a Greek name is this one means gift so I think that’s pretty cool. I love your suggestions of [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Pandora[/name]. I also love [name]Sadie[/name] as a nn for [name]Isadora[/name]. I don’t know if I would ever use it though, with a cousin called [name]Isabella[/name].

I defintely like [name]Cora[/name] best as a nn for [name]Cordelia[/name] but I do think it is lovely on it’s own as well, even though I can see what you mean about Core-a, in fact I didn’t like it at first because of that but now I’ve got past it, I’m not sure if it’s a favourite though.

We also have the [name]Flora[/name] margarine brand over here, I just forget about it a lot because we don’t use it in my house and because my lovely aunt [name]Flora[/name] is the first person I think of when I hear ‘[name]Flora[/name]’ although everyone else I know probably thinks of the margarine like you. I can’t really see the frillyness of [name]Flora[/name], I think [name]Fleur[/name] is frillier than [name]Flora[/name], I’m not sure why. [name]Flora[/name], to me, is very down to earth.

Yay for [name]Nora[/name]! I totally agree with everthing you said about her. [name]Light[/name] is defintely a great meaning, and I prefer [name]Nora[/name] to [name]Claire[/name].

Wow, with [name]Laura[/name], your description was very similar to what I was thinking. I always picture a [name]Laura[/name] to have blonde hair, not sure why.

I sort of see what you mean with [name]Zora[/name] but I don’t really agree. I don’t think the name defines the person. I think that there are plently of name that would sound a little odd in that circumstance but I think it’s the sort of thing, if it was me, I would think, oh that’s interesting, and then get over it pretty fast. I don’t think that having a name like [name]Zora[/name] limits you at all, I’m not saying that it doesn’t matter what your name is, that situation that you mentioned will never be too weird. I think if your name was Tigerlily or [name]Mowgli[/name], that would make a difference. Sorry for my rant, I just felt the need to defend [name]Zora[/name] a bit :slight_smile:

I think I prefer [name]Mary[/name] too, I was just struggling for more names to put in the poll and I remembered that I thought this variation of [name]Mary[/name] was pretty sweet. It’s not my favourite, but I don’t dislike it at all.

I love [name]Leora[/name], and [name]Tora[/name] is pretty cool too, I’m working on [name]Thora[/name], it just really reminds me of the show ‘[name]Arthur[/name]’ I don’t know if you’ve seen it or not but [name]Thora[/name] is [name]Arthur[/name] the ardvark’s grandma.

Thanks for commenting :slight_smile:

[name]Hope[/name] everyone had a lovely easter :smiley:

• [name]Elena[/name]

I voted for [name]Cora[/name]. It is sweet and feminine with a vintage feel. The only ones I really dont like are [name]Dora[/name] and [name]Flora[/name]. [name]Dora[/name] because of the [name]Dora[/name] the explorer reference and [name]Flora[/name] because I’m a biologist and [name]Flora[/name] to me reminds me of normal flora, the bacteria naturally present in your body. I just cant hear the name without thinking of E. coli and staph epi. It probably wouldnt be a problem for most people but in my field if someone named their daughter [name]Flora[/name] they would get some weird looks.

I voted for [name]Flora[/name], it’s one of my favourite vintage names. It’s so sweet, and spunky and I feel would age well too.

I like [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Flora[/name] the best. I decided for [name]Cora[/name], it’s simple yet beautiful.

[name]Elena[/name], I am happy that your Aunt [name]Flora[/name] was so nice.
My Aunt [name]Flora[/name] was very nice, too, but she was too nice. She was always smiling strangely at me. Plus she stored Kleenex in the front of her dresses… If I had a little girl named [name]Flora[/name], I would just think about Kleenex all day. Gives me the willies.
But most people don’t have that association. [name]Flora[/name] is such a gorgeous name!
I am glad you love my daughter [name]Laura[/name]'s name. We love it, too.

I love [name]Flora[/name] so much! My mom thinks I’m a freak for loving [name]Flora[/name], but I do. And [name]Cora[/name] as well. My favorite combos for those are [name]Flora[/name] [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] [name]Daphne[/name].

Take care

<3 [name]Tara[/name]

I love those “ora” names too. I voted for [name]Laura[/name] (I’m biased as it’s my name) but [name]Cora[/name] is a close 2nd. [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Maura[/name] are right behind. The others are nms.

I’d love to pass [name]Laura[/name] down as a mn but have never found a fn that I liked to pair with it.