Girls names on boys

This blog has really gotten me thinking about the boys names on girls trend. My jaw hit the floor when I read that [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], and [name_f]Beverly[/name_f] were once traditionally male names. I took [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] off my list of potential girl names after reading this blog, because I feel so strongly against boy names on girls.

Nobody seems to bat an eyelash anymore when a girl is named [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], or [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. So many boy names have gone/ are going to the girls in recent decades- [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]Allison[/name_u], [name_u]Taylor[/name_u], [name_u]Jordan[/name_u], to name a few.

I’m bothered that a boy named [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], or [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] these days would likely be teased his whole life for having a “girl” name, even though all are traditionally male names. I met a male baby boomer named [name_u]Lyn[/name_u] (nn for Linville or [name_m]Lynwood[/name_m], can’t remember which) who was teased incessantly, even by adults!

Where are the little boys named [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]? [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]? [name_f]Emma[/name_f]? [name_m]How[/name_m] would you feel if you met a boy named [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]?

Why is it OK to name a girl a traditionally boy name, but not the other way around?

I’m not looking to be nasty. I want some honest opinions and civil debate here. :slight_smile:

Not even going to get into this argument again. I do think it might not have been the best plan to start a thread on this. I am rather new to the forum and already know that this subject only starts arguments and that there is no civil debating going on. I just hope the moderators watch this thread carefully.

I’d totally name a little boy with a traditionally female name if I thought society was conducive to not making the kid feel like a piece of crap because of it.

To truly understand it, we have to look at how people react to traditionally female names on boys.

I know a couple who are going to name their son Savannah just because they like it on a boy. They’ve already had to defend it a few times, and y’know. I’m all for this stuff, like traditionally male names on girls, traditionally female names on boys. It’s all good.
For example, Virtue names? Unisex, nothing there that’s gender specific.

Now obviously there are some reasons a name may stay gender specific, meanings for instance, or a particularly classic figure who ‘owns’ the name (Persephone etc, though strangely not Artemis)

Some people are super traditional and think there should be boys names and girls names.

Boys called Rose, girls called Dexter. Vote AriellaDreams for Prime Minister.

PS. Isabel would be a cool boys name, ‘Pledged to God’, related to Elizabeth, as in the Queen. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m from the “there are girl names, and there are boy names” camp myself, mainly because of ^^that.^^ I’m happy to see a little boy named [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]. If I saw more boys named [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], I’d jump on the boys-names-on-girls bandwagon. I just worry that people would be mean to him :frowning:

AriellaDreams for Prime Minister, fo’ shizzle! …only I’m in the US, so I couldn’t vote for you.

Thank you for your reply. Maybe the moderators wouldn’t have to monitor this thread so closely if more people could be as thoughtful in their replies as yourself :slight_smile:

I took [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] off of my girl list as well, after learning it used to be a boy’s name.

I have to say one of my biggest pet peeves on this site is the fact that I’ve seen several of the most vehement supporters of boy-names-on-girls make disparaging comments about boys with feminine, soft, or even unisex names. The comments have been in regards to boys being “sissies”, being teased, their names being cruel, etc. It seems that the ones most supportive of unisex names on girls are also the ones who would mock a boy with a unisex name.

I’ve grown tired of having this argument. I think boy names on girls are ugly, tacky, and trashy, and I’m tired of explaining the intricacies of sexism to twelve year olds who immediately reply that it’s stupid because they happen to disagree.

Lately there seems to be an increase of threads asking opinions on whether [insert boy name] would work on girls, and half seem purposefully created to start an argument.

At this point I’m so tired of the argument that i want to wash my hands of it entirely. They can name their daughters [name_m]Harold[/name_m] and [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] for all i care. I’ll be in the corner, quietly judging the shit out of them.

It’s really more a problem with the surrounding society than the names themselves, usually.

The more people who put traditionally female names on their sons, the more common it is, the more used to it people might get.

Of course, to start this trend towards unisex, you need a couple of pioneers to get the ball rolling.

The fact that 12 year olds are on here discussing names… I know what you mean! When I was 12 or 13, I was still playing with DOLLS. I wrote a lot, but my interest in names ended with coming up with names for characters in my stories, generally grabbed from the newspaper, phone book, or classmates. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] names didn’t cross my mind until I was in my late teens, and even then, the thought of a family was a pipe dream.

I’ll gladly join you in that corner :wink:

Us moderators are watching this thread like hawks. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a reminder - if you’re going to respond, you can POLITELY state your opinion and be done.

In the pass three weeks we have had at least 5 threads like this one. They do not end well. Before you start a thread like this I advise that you search and read through the past threads. They aren’t that old. I’ll keep a close eye on this one along with the other moderators.

There are plenty among us, especially those in the normal-childbearing-age crowd, who dislike traditionally boy names on girls. The premise that nobody seems to bat an eyelash anymore at traditionally boys names on girls is false. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of us are just tired of talking about it and find it a suspect topic for trolls, so we just ignore threads like these. [name_m]Will[/name_m] I disrespect children with these names? No, of course not. But I do find them silly and will think their parents have terrible naming taste, same as names with cre8tive spellings.

I am one of those people that many people on this site tend to dislike because I don’t mind masculine names on girls (I still dislike names like [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] on girls but I do get the appeal of some like [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] and [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]). For me it’s not about implying that being feminine is wrong or worse than being masculine, but instead about the fact that personally I tend to prefer more simple, streamlined unisex names on girls. It’s just my style. Additionally, I really don’t understand peoples dislike I surname names on girls and the belief that the are masculine. Yes last names are passed through the male line, but in my opinion my last name will belong equally to my sons and daughters. So if my last name happens to have been used on males in the past or end in -son, I would still consider it appropriate for a girl on a case by case basis.

As for feminine names on boys, I am not generally a fan with the exception of some unisex names that tend to skew feminine I prefer on boys. This is taken on a name by name basis and once again just follows my personal opinions on each name. No I would not name my son [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] or [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] (partially because I don’t like either name), and I certainly wouldn’t tease someone with such a name, but people can complain on this site as much as they want but it doesn’t change the fact that men are still treated more favorably than women in society. If you’re favorite boys name is now considered somewhat feminine than by all means give your son that name, but be aware of the potential connotations. Your son [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] may have a harder time getting called in for an interview simply because hiring managers assume he’s a woman. Is it right? Absolutely not. Is it the world we live in? Unfortunately yes.

Personally, I will not give my children a name I feel might hold them back and that includes both blatantly male and female names on the wrong gender. I’m all for equality between the genders, but I wouldn’t personally use my child to make a statement about it.

Listen to “A Boy Named [name_f]Sue[/name_f]” by [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] [name_m]Cash[/name_m]

I’m also watching this thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know a ton of boys with girl names or girlish names. I tend to make lists of people I’ve met with names I like so I’ve got a list of girls names on boys if you want to see it.

I live in the south, so it’s still commonplace to name a boy [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Whitney[/name_u] (I know one of each) and those sorts of names. The [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] I know is a teen and goes to school with so many girl [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]'s but he’s cool with it.

I know boy Willows, Britts, Jades etc. Seriously, I have a list.

Anyway, I think names are so fluid nowadays that kids don’t care what their friends are named nearly as much as the grown ups do. I’ve never once in 5 years now of teaching seen a kid bullied for their names and I met some kids with some terrible name (including one little girl I worked with name Moran (moor-[name_f]ANN[/name_f]) and no one even bothered HER).

That all being said, I don’t really like gender bending in either direction, but I think with some names I have to shrug and say “Oh well” Names like [name_u]Devon[/name_u] and [name_u]Logan[/name_u] that are being used more and more on girls are still boys names, but I can’t fight it when so many girls are getting them (incidentally, I’ve never met a male [name_u]Devon[/name_u] but have met girls). [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_u]Reese[/name_u], I have to give up on.

Now [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] (met girls named all of those), those I can feel annoyed about. I think there are plenty of girls names that could be taken and put on a boy right now and it’d be cool and no one his own age would care because they’d just grow up thinking that’s normal and fine. That’s been the case with [name_f]Willow[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_f]Erin[/name_f]…

Anyway I think I’m rambling :stuck_out_tongue:

I hate this trend! I personally would never give a boy a girls name… I really don’t think I could even give a boy in today’s world a typically unisex name. I just think there are plenty of wonderful girls names to choose from…stop stealing from the boys!

I personally, tend to not like naming girls boys names or boys girls names. Some are nice though for sure. I like feminine or spunky on girls and manly or soft on boys for my choices. Examples for girls: [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] or [name_u]Piper[/name_u]. Examples for boys: [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] or [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. That’s just my opinion :slight_smile:

@dantea - I totally have a running list, too! It currently includes [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] (more unisex - a 25 yr. old), [name_m]Arin[/name_m] (a 4 yr. old - kinda unisex but kinda girly), [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] (an older gentleman), One of my exes went by [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] (his MN), [name_u]Shannon[/name_u] (in his 20s), A few Lindseys my age, a few Kellys in their 40s and 50s. I would love to meet a little boy [name_f]Willow[/name_f]

I agree that this thread is asking for trouble - if you want to name your son a particular name it might be better just to get a general feel for that specific instance, rather than generalizing.

I simply have the following to say on the subject of teasing and names:

Yes, having a teaseworthy name sucks when you’e growing up sometimes (trust me when I say my last name is pretty awful and I know what it is like to be teased about your name your whole entire life even into adulthood). But guess what? It gives you an amazing gift - you learn not to take yourself too seriously, and you learn how immature and insecure some people are when that is all they can think of to say to you. You learn to have pride in your identity, name and all. These are the lessons I plan to pass on to my children if they get teased about their names (or even if they don’t), because I believe that if you choose a name you find beautiful and meaningful, it can’t be a bad choice, and eventually your child will take pride in that, because they know their name is infused with love.

I have met adult men named [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_u]Bailey[/name_u], [name_u]Lindsay[/name_u] & [name_m]Llewellen[/name_m] (not sure of the spelling on that one!) and all of them were confident & successful people that never mentioned bullying as something that influenced their life.

I think that today it’s likely our kids will go to school with girls called [name_m]Lincoln[/name_m] & [name_u]Ellison[/name_u], but they will also be around boys called [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], girls named [name_f]Fatima[/name_f] and [name_f]Freja[/name_f], boys named [name_m]Bear[/name_m] and Behzad. Us moms just remember our 1990s suburban classrooms and fear name bullying, but there is so much more beautiful diversity in naming today. I think it’s a matter of how much more multicultural and blended families are today AND that people approach naming (for better or for worse) as a means of self expression. Some people cringe at a girl called [name_u]Micah[/name_u] or a boy called [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] or a girl called [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] or [name_u]Wynn[/name_u] or [name_f]Poet[/name_f], ect, but it’s not going to stop it from happening.

I am not a big fan of unisex names or boy names on girls or surname names, but I do adore [name_f]Alison[/name_f] on a girl. I also love [name_u]Allie[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], so I don’t cringe at softer names on boys. And with the popularity of [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_u]Luca[/name_u], it seems I’m not alone.

So I guess, I am not shocked by either idea. However a girl called [name_m]Brutus[/name_m] and a boy called [name_f]Christina[/name_f] would raise my eyebrow!

Exactly this.

Right on! I grew up with a tease-worthy last name myself :wink: