Giuliet/Giuliette?

What do you all think of Giuliet/Giuliette? I enjoy the [name]Juliet[/name] spelling more personally, and I’m guessing you all do too, but I’m looking to avoid J-names.

Does it make you think too much of the [name]Gillette[/name] brand?

[name]Giulia[/name] looks more appealing to me, but I don’t like the name [name]Julia[/name] as much as [name]Juliet[/name]…

The “Gi-” is Italian and the “-ette” is French. [name]Giulia[/name]/[name]Giulietta[/name] is Italian, I knew a woman with this name. The borrowing from different languages is a little wonky, but it’s ok if you do the straight on variation from one language or another without trying to invent a unique spelling. “Gi-” names from [name]Italy[/name] are a really nice alternative to J names, and some like [name]Gianna[/name], [name]Giada[/name], [name]Giovanna[/name], like that… [name]Giulia[/name] or [name]Giulietta[/name] would be really interesting. [name]Giustina[/name] and [name]Giacinta[/name] are also interesting. “Gi-” I believe is pronounced identical to a J, not like [name]Gee[/name]-oo-li-a or [name]Gee[/name]-oh-vah-na, etc., but [name]Julia[/name], [name]Jo[/name]-vanna, and so on.

[name]Both[/name] Giuliet and Giuliette look a little bit bizarre to me–like hybrids. That said, Giuliet is the better of the two; Giuliette does indeed look a lot like [name]Gillette[/name]!

Thanks for the input!
Yes I’m guilty of tweaking the proper Italian [name]Giulietta[/name]. :slight_smile: Frilly -etta/-ana type names are not my style, so I was hoping I’d be able to adjust it to be a G- version of [name]Juliet[/name].

But I don’t think I’m really feeling it. It just looks wrong to me.

P.S. Yes the Gi- in Italian is pronounced like a J. I had a lot of diction instruction when I was a vocal performance major in college so I know the basics of French, Italian and [name]German[/name] pronunciation! :slight_smile:

Hmm…I love [name]Juliet[/name]/Juilette so much, and because I’m so used to those spellilngs, I guess that the Giuliet/Giuliette spellings look off to me. I’m familiar with [name]Giulia[/name] and [name]Giuliana[/name], but I think I prefer Giuliet with a J. If I knew a Giuliette, I’m sure I’d easily get used to the spelling, though. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Gillian[/name]? Similar sound to Giuliet but is traditionally spelled with a G. Also based on the same name [name]Julian[/name].

Giuliette is not a name. Pick either [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Giulietta[/name]-- you can’t really mix around different variations of one name to invent a spelling! It’s just as bad as spelling [name]Elizabeth[/name] Ilyzabyth, or something. I love [name]Juliet[/name], though!