Give it a convoluted nickname!

[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] reminds me of [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] Crombie who played [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] in the [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables movies. [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] means happy or carefree; the name [name_m]Felix[/name_m] shares the same meaning. [name_m]Felix[/name_m] makes me think of [name_m]Felix[/name_m] the [name_f]Cat[/name_f] which reminds me of [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] (another popular cat name) and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] is a gem name. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is also a gem name and a character in the show [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]. [name_u]Max[/name_u] is Ruby’s brother and [name_m]Ross[/name_m] is the brother of [name_f]Monica[/name_f] in Friends. [name_m]Ross[/name_m] rhymes with [name_m]Moss[/name_m], therefore Jonathan’s nickname is [name_m]Moss[/name_m].

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]?

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] makes me think of [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. One of her middle names is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] after her great-Grandmother [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] II. Another famous [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] was [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u]. Someone famous with the first name [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] is [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Swift[/name_m]. Her middle name is [name_f]Alison[/name_f]. Therefore Charlotte’s nickname is [name_f]Alison[/name_f].

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]?

1 Like

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] makes me think of a character called [name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f] in the [name_f]Enid[/name_f] Blyton series [name_u]Mallory[/name_u] [name_m]Towers[/name_m]. The name [name_u]Mallory[/name_u] means “unfortunate”. Another name with a negative meaning is [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], which means “sorrow”. In Celtic legend, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is the tragic lover of [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] friend [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] pronounces their name with a soft S sound, rather than a Z sound, which reminds me of the Spanish pronunciation of [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. In Spanish, [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is known as [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] del [name_m]Reino[/name_m] Unido, but within her family she is known as [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f]. Therefore, [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] should be nicknamed [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f].

[name_u]David[/name_u]?

1 Like

[name_u]David[/name_u] is the middle name of actor [name_u]Taron[/name_u] Egerton. [name_u]Taron[/name_u] sounds like [name_m]Aaron[/name_m]. Another name with a double a is [name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f]. [name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f] ends with [name_f]Liyah[/name_f], which sounds like [name_f]Lea[/name_f]. [name_f]Lea[/name_f] [name_u]Michele[/name_u] played [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] in Glee. Another character called [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] is [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] [name_u]Green[/name_u] played by [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_f]Anniston[/name_f]. She used to date [name_m]Brad[/name_m] [name_m]Pitt[/name_m]. Therefore, David’s nickname is [name_m]Brad[/name_m].

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]?

1 Like

The name Madeleine reminds me of the traditional small cake from France. Madeleines are very small sponge cakes with a distinctive shell-like shape. Shells can be found on the beach. My favourite beach to visit when I was younger was Kynance Cove. This is also where they filmed the series Poldark. Ross Poldark’s wife was named Demelza. A girl I grew up with was also called Demelza, she went by Melza. Therefore, the nickname for Madeleine is Melza.

Poppy?

1 Like

In [name_u]Britain[/name_u], poppies are worn in [name_u]November[/name_u] for Remembrance [name_u]Day[/name_u]. The word [name_u]November[/name_u] comes from the Latin word “novem” meaning “nine” because it was originally the ninth month. In [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Catholicism, a novena is a form of devotional prayer performed over nine successive days. The name [name_m]Bede[/name_m] means “prayer” and the Venerable [name_m]Bede[/name_m] is a [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] of the Church. Another [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] of the Church is St. [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] of Ávila. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite nickname for [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] is [name_f]Tess[/name_f]. Therefore, Poppy’s nickname is [name_f]Tess[/name_f].

[name_u]James[/name_u]?

1 Like

[name_u]James[/name_u] is a book of the Bible, and so is [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. [name_u]Jude[/name_u] can be a nickname for [name_u]Judah[/name_u], who was a brother of [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] in the Bible. Another [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] in the Bible was the wife of [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is a form of [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Curie was a physicist. Curie reminds me of [name_u]Curry[/name_u], which reminds me of [name_u]Steph[/name_u] [name_u]Curry[/name_u]. [name_u]Steph[/name_u] is a nickname for [name_m]Stephen[/name_m]. So [name_u]James[/name_u] nickname is [name_m]Stephen[/name_m]!

[name_m]Stephen[/name_m]?

2 Likes

[name_m]Stephen[/name_m] is the first name of the late great [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] Hawking. Hawks are a type of bird like an [name_u]Eagle[/name_u]. [name_u]Eagle[/name_u] Award is the top award for Boy Scouts. [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is a character in To Kill a Mockingbird by [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. [name_u]Scout[/name_u] has a brother named [name_u]Jem[/name_u]. [name_u]Jem[/name_u] is one letter off from [name_m]Jim[/name_m]. [name_m]Jim[/name_m] is a nickname for [name_u]James[/name_u]. Stephen’s nickname is [name_u]James[/name_u].

[name_u]Curtis[/name_u]?

3 Likes

[name_u]Curtis[/name_u] can be shortened to [name_m]Curt[/name_m]. [name_m]Curt[/name_m] means rudely brief, a synonym for curt is frank. A famous [name_m]Frank[/name_m] is [name_m]Frank[/name_m] Sinatra, Sinatra’s daughter is called [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] Sinatria. [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] is a charachter [name_u]Charles[/name_u] Dicken’s novel [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] Twist. [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] can be shortened to [name_m]Ol[/name_m]. Thus, Curtis’s nickname is [name_m]Ol[/name_m].

[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]?

[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] makes me think of [name_f]Rihanna[/name_f]. Rihanna’s first name is [name_f]Robyn[/name_f]. [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] is a spelling variation of [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. A famous person named [name_u]Robin[/name_u] was [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Williams[/name_m]. Another famous person with the last name [name_m]Williams[/name_m] is [name_f]Serena[/name_f] [name_m]Williams[/name_m]. Her daughter often goes by her middle name [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]. Therefore, Rhiannon’s nickname is [name_f]Olympia[/name_f].

[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]?

Jennifer sounds sort of like Genevieve. A nickname for Genevieve is Ginny. Ginny is played by Bonnie Wright in Harry Potter. Another HP actress is Emma Watson. She also played Meg in the 2019 Little Women, alongside Florence Pugh as Amy. Florence is also the name of a city, as is Georgia. A nickname for Georgia is Gigi. So, a nickname for Jennifer is Gigi!

Freya?

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] sounds similar to Frigga, a Norse goddess. In the MCU, Frigga is played by [name_u]Rene[/name_u] Russo. [name_u]Rene[/name_u] is similar to [name_f]Renée[/name_f]. A famous [name_f]Renée[/name_f] is [name_f]Renée[/name_f] Zellweger, who played [name_f]Judy[/name_f] [name_u]Garland[/name_u] in [name_f]Judy[/name_f]. [name_f]Judy[/name_f] [name_u]Garland[/name_u] was [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] in the [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] of [name_m]Oz[/name_m]. A nickname for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is [name_f]Dot[/name_f]. Therefore, Freya’s nickname is [name_f]Dot[/name_f].

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]?

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] makes me think of the book/film Charlotte’s [name_m]Web[/name_m], which reminds me of the film [name_f]Babe[/name_f]: Pig in the City. [name_f]Babe[/name_f] is a diminutive of [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], and so is [name_f]Babs[/name_f]. [name_f]Babs[/name_f] is similar to Bubs, and Bubs makes me think of bubbles. Therefore, Charlotte’s nickname is Bubbles.

[name_u]Kacey[/name_u]?

[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] sounds like the two letters K and C. Another name which sounds like two letters together is [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] (L and E). I used to teach a little girl called [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], whose full name was [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] variant is [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], which is Scottish, but my favourite Scottish name is [name_f]Morag[/name_f]. When I was little, I used to read a series of books about a little girl called [name_f]Katie[/name_f] [name_f]Morag[/name_f]. In the TV adaptation of [name_f]Katie[/name_f] [name_f]Morag[/name_f], she was played by a girl called [name_f]Cherry[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] paternal grandmother was called [name_f]Cherry[/name_f] and my maternal grandmother is called [name_f]Judith[/name_f], but she goes by [name_f]Judy[/name_f]. Therefore, [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] should be nicknamed [name_f]Judy[/name_f].

[name_u]Ireland[/name_u]?

[name_u]Ireland[/name_u] is the name of a country. [name_u]Ireland[/name_u] makes me think of St Patrick’s [name_u]Day[/name_u]. A famous person named [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] was [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_u]Swayze[/name_u]. One of his most well known films is Dirty Dancing which includes a character nicknamed [name_u]Baby[/name_u]. The name [name_u]Baby[/name_u] makes me think of [name_f]Babe[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]. Therefore Ireland’s nickname is [name_f]Ruth[/name_f].

[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]?

[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] [name_m]Stein[/name_m] famously wrote, “Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose.” Indeed, a rose is a rose is [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Tyler[/name_u], the first of the Doctor’s companions in the 2005 revival of [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] Who, played by [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_u]Piper[/name_u]. [name_u]Piper[/name_u] shares her first name with the iconic [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_f]Holiday[/name_f]. Another holiday, the holiday of Thanksgiving, is approaching fast for Americans, and it will be followed by [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_m]Friday[/name_m]. While [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_m]Friday[/name_m] is synonymous with excessive spending and sales as the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] season begins, the terms [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_m]Thursday[/name_m], [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_f]Monday[/name_f], and [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] are ironically all associated with the [name_m]Wall[/name_m] [name_f]Street[/name_f] [name_m]Crash[/name_m] of 1929, the event which marked the beginning of the Great Depression. One of the most iconic images of the Great Depression is “Migrant Mother,” which features [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_m]Owens[/name_m] [name_m]Thompson[/name_m], born [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u]. Gertrude’s nickname should obviously be [name_u]Christie[/name_u].

[name_f]Barbie[/name_f]?

2 Likes

[name_f]Barbie[/name_f] is a doll produced by Mattel. [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] Mattel is a drag queen whose real name is [name_m]Brian[/name_m]. A famous [name_m]Brian[/name_m] is [name_m]Brian[/name_m] Cox, who is a scientist. Another scientist is [name_u]Marie[/name_u] Curie. [name_u]Marie[/name_u] was a cat in the Disney movie Aristocats and her mother was called Duchess. The Duchess of Cambridge is [name_f]Kate[/name_f] Middleton. Therefore Barbie’s nickname is [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

[name_u]Tobey[/name_u]?

3 Likes

Tobey Maguire starred in the first cinematic series focused on the iconic superhero Spider-Man, a trilogy released between 2002-2007. In 2011, after half a year of previews, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark premiered on Broadway and featured a story based on Spider-Man (2002) as well as the Greek myth of Arachne. In the Broadway production, Spider-Man was played by Reeve Carney, who later starred in another musical inspired more directly by Greek mythology when he was cast as Orpheus in the original Broadway cast of Hadestown. The earliest recorded instance of the Arachne myth, and one of the earliest of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, is in Ovid’s Metamorphoses.

Metamorphosis is the abrupt, distinct physical transformation of an animal during its lifetime, for instance, when a caterpillar encases itself in a chrysalis before emerging a butterfly. When I was in elementary school, my class went to a nearby house with a butterfly garden to study the monarch butterflies before they migrated. A monarch is a ruler, and a ruler measures length, for instance in millimeters. Millimeters are often abbreviated to MM, which are also the initials of Marshall Mathers, whose stage name is Eminem. Eminem wrote the song “Stan.” Therefore, Tobey’s nickname is Stan.

Marcia?

2 Likes

[name_f]Marcia[/name_f] starts with the letters Mar-, another name to begin with [name_f]Mar[/name_f]- is [name_f]Martha[/name_f]. [name_f]Martha[/name_f] rhymes with [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] which in turn reminds me of the legend of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u]. [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] was married [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], which is a name which can be shortened to multiple nicknames. Another name which has various nicknames options is [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] can be shortened to [name_f]Peggy[/name_f]. Thus, Marcia’s nickname is [name_f]Peggy[/name_f].

[name_f]Morag[/name_f]?

When I was younger I read a book series about a girl called [name_f]Katie[/name_f] [name_f]Morag[/name_f]. [name_f]Katie[/name_f] is the name of one of my friends and her mum is called [name_f]Danielle[/name_f]. [name_f]Danielle[/name_f] sounds like [name_u]Daniel[/name_u], as in [name_u]Daniel[/name_u] [name_m]Radcliffe[/name_m] who played [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. Another [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] actor is [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_m]Watson[/name_m]. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_m]Watson[/name_m] was also in [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women alongside [name_u]Florence[/name_u] Pugh. [name_u]Florence[/name_u] Pugh was in [name_m]Black[/name_m] Widow. [name_m]Black[/name_m] Widow’s real name is [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] Romanoff, which can be shortened to [name_u]Nat[/name_u]. Therefore, Morag’s nickname is [name_u]Nat[/name_u].

[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]?