Glitches with editing?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has to try edits multiple times to get them to post??

I get a pop up message saying something along the lines of “someone else is editing this post, so you can’t over write it”. But it’s my comment, and I’m the one editing it. Who’s the other “someone”? :joy:🤷

I can always tell when it’s going to happen because this little orange symbol appears, and sure enough it gives me the pop up message when I try to post.

Anyone else??

1 Like

This happens to me all the time! The only time I’ve actually overwritten an edit was on a wiki post earlier today with the Teenberries. But every other time I wonder why it pops up. Usually it’s when someone else is typing but why would that affect my post?

2 Likes

I have that problem pretty frequently! It happened ten minutes ago.

Sometimes reloading or closing the tab helps, and sometimes it deletes parts.

1 Like

Just happened again. This is the pop up.

1 Like

Yeah, I have to do this too, but it’s so frustrating. Surely, it’s not supposed to be like that.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone,

This happens to me sometimes too. We think it’s the autolinking program scanning and applying name links while you are editing.

If you click “OK” on the error message, you should then see the option to “Overwrite [name_f]Edit[/name_f]” (blue button bottom left of the post). If you click that, your changes should be saved.

Please see this topic for more info :point_down:

3 Likes

If you do click overwrite edit though the names never get linked. So I tend to wait a minute and then edit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes it does, and some times it doesn’t. [name_m]Even[/name_m] using the overwrite button sometimes sends me back to the pop up, so it becomes a loop that only gets fixed by closing the app and starting again.

Thanks for the other link. :blush:

1 Like

@elleplume

I hadn’t considered that, but that’s a good way round it if you definitely want the links in there.

@_thelittlefairywren

Does it ever happen with edits after the links have already been applied? Or does it seem to coincide with the name links?

([name_m]Just[/name_m] to let you know: I’m logging off now as it’s late here, but please keep posting here if you need to and I will respond in the morning :slight_smile: )

1 Like

It happened when editing my initial post to create this thread, and I didn’t use any names. So it can’t just be the name links, surely…?

1 Like

I had a similar problem!

This happens to me sometimes. I just have to delete a period or something and then put it back and it’s fine.

Ohh that makes a lot of sense, thank you!

Honestly it bothers me a lot less now there’s a probable explanation :laughing:

1 Like

The program will still scan all posts, regardless of whether they contain names. Obviously, if there are no names then no links will be applied, but it will still “access” the post to check, if that makes sense?

What is the error message you’re getting in this case?

2 Likes

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], yes. Got you! :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you, please do. It may be a separate issue, I haven’t seen this one personally.

1 Like

Aha! Yes, I’ve run into this a couple of times myself.

Discourse gives you that message when you quote the entirety of a previous message. It’s to encourage selective quoting of the relevant section, rather than just the whole message, which can get long.

Obviously, when you’re responding to a short post the whole thing might be relevant, but in that case Discourse thinks it’s preferable to just reply to that specific post, rather than quoting the whole thing.

When you reply directly to a specific post, you will see a little icon in the top right of your reply, and clicking that will show you the replied to post.

2 Likes