Going round in circles...some inspiration please!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] All,

This is my third baby, (siblings are [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]) and we are going round in circles with the same girls names, and not managing to settle on a name that we love. I don’t want something that is too frilly, or longer than 2-3 syllables, preferably 2. For boys I just love the staple classics [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]Miles[/name_m] and obviously [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (my sons name) but with girls, its just not as easy. I like the older classic feel, but with a romantic, warm feel to it, I want something with a bit more spunk and slightly edgier, although still with that classic vintage charm? Am i asking too much…??!

Names we have considered are:

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] - love that it means [name_f]Emerald[/name_f], (to tie in with sister [name_u]Ruby[/name_u])
[name_f]Orla[/name_f] - DH choice, although oral connection puts me off
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] - like this, but don’t love it. its just not got that pretty a sound, and sometimes I think its slightly harsh? but cannot decide on it.
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] - Really like this as it has more of a romantic feel to it, but dh not keen.
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] - ?
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] - really cute name, but will it grow into adulthood, too popular?
Pippa ?
Piper ?
Veda - darth vadar?!!

Would love to hear your expert opinions, with some alternative name inspiration, with what makes you love it.

Wow…I love [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] seems like an ideal match with [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]…both are colors, similar length, and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] has such an amazing meaning and definition. Established and floral yet a little whimsical…maybe due to the meaning.

Other ideas:
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Venus[/name_f]
[name_f]Celine[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_f]Cerise[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]

My first thought is [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is my favorite on your list.

From your list I love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]?

I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f] with [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. Other options

[name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

I also think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is really well-matched. I also like [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], and [name_u]Piper[/name_u]. I like [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] too but I’m not sure how she would age.

my suggestions:
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Opal[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Cleo[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Eve[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Ada[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_u]Piper[/name_u].

I really like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] for you, as well! I also like previous suggestions of [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], and [name_f]Lila[/name_f]. You really have so many great options!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about…

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Eva[/name_f] (my #1 for you)
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Juna[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] (#3)
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Mira[/name_f] (#2)
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Willa[/name_f]

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] is a favorite of mine, so I can’t be impartial, but if you have doubts don’t use it.

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] is sweet and more familiar than it has been in the past. I just don’t necessarily see it as a fit with your other names.

[name_f]Orla[/name_f] is a fantastic name, I have never linked it with oral, but I give the same advice as with [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] seems a perfect fit. Very feminine and not quite as formal as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is great, but I see a name of a different ending than [name_u]Ruby[/name_u].

[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is a favorite, but I the same concerns. I think once more [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]'s grow up it will age fine.

[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] the first thought I had was [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], ruby slippers. [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] is darling, definitely a good option.

[name_u]Piper[/name_u] just not a fan. More androgynous than [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], not a match to the other names style wise, in my opinion.

[name_f]Veda[/name_f] assuming this is pronounced Vay dah, not Vee dah. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t think Darth Vader should be a real concern, would prefer spelled [name_f]Vada[/name_f].

Suggestions:

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] actually know of sisters (born in the '20s) named [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f], similar style/era.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] another v option, floral connotation.

[name_f]Dinah[/name_f] along the lines of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], not uber trendy, easy to pronounce and spell.

[name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f] all have a certain spunky charm.

I like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] best, followed by [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. I speak Portuguese, and in Portuguese [name_f]Orla[/name_f] means edge/border and in a colloquial sense means coast, so personally I can’t get over that connection, but as a name it is also nice!

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] or [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are perfect! <3

Other ideas:
Jane
June
Nora
Maya
Lucy
Emma

I think [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] make a cute sibset.

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

It looks so far like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] are the most liked on my list. Also [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].

What do any of you think of [name_f]Vita[/name_f]?

Also still can’t get [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] out my head, I just love the way it sounds. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think as more and more [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f] names appear now that at 50 years old it will not be unusual to be called [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and therefore the name to age perfectly well?

There is something more feminine about esme and poppy to me than [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is. I want to love it but don’t think I can visualise it on a baby.

Potential middle name [name_u]Drew[/name_u] after Dh ? Thoughts on this?

If you were to choose [name_f]Esme[/name_f] I really don’t like it with [name_u]Drew[/name_u], they’re just so different. However, what about [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f]?

I love [name_u]Drew[/name_u] for a girl. I think it would make a good middle. I feel like I would prefer unisex middle name [name_u]Drew[/name_u] with a longer more elaborate first name though.

Like…
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] [name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f] [name_u]Drew[/name_u]

Your short list includes short names, I might like [name_u]Drew[/name_u] as part of two middles like…

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f] [name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Juliana[/name_f] [name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]Drew[/name_u]

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] is lovely! Also…
[name_f]Vita[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Lourdes[/name_f]
[name_f]Esmerelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]

vita is cute!

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] is the first name that came to mind. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] is vintage, classic and pretty. Its a bit quirky but recognizable and relatable. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f] make a great bunch [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

OR…

[name_f]Vita[/name_f]
[name_f]Daria[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_u]Penny[/name_u]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and… (Sorry for any repeats)

[name_f]Darla[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Betsy[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]

My favorite name on your list is [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. I love that it manages to be both charmingly familiar in that old fashion/vintage way, but also fresh-sounding and intriguing.

I think it also goes quite beautifully with [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

Here’s some more name inspiration for you (my favorites are in italicized):

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]/[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]/[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]/[name_f]Margo[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]

I didn’t make the [name_m]Oral[/name_m]/[name_f]Orla[/name_f] connection until you mentioned it, but now I can’t get it out of my head. It’s too bad, because I have a mini-crush on [name_f]Orla[/name_f]. I don’t think that [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] or [name_u]Piper[/name_u] have much warmth to them. I like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] the best (besides [name_f]Orla[/name_f]), but to me it’s a bit over-popular.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]