Good Name For A Witch....

I need a name for a 12 year-old witch. The catch is she was born in 1912. In this story witches only have a birthday every 9 years and they age like this too. They also lose their power at the age of 18. She is well-educated, smart, very powerful. She not in good social standing as she’s been held hostage with other witches most of her life. She’s timid, doesn’t trust easily. She loves her birthright, but has always wanted to live a normal life. Looks wise, she’s petite, brown eyes, curly brown hair.

[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] nn [name]Thea[/name]

Thanks for chipping in, tressa. Could I get away with something like [name]Neola[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Nola[/name], [name]Effie[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Fay[/name], [name]Allie[/name]?

I can definitely see [name]Neola[/name], [name]Nola[/name], [name]Effie[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], and [name]Fay[/name] working.
I think [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Nell[/name], and [name]Allie[/name] are a bit too sweet for your character.While [name]Alice[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], and [name]Amelia[/name] are very sweet sounding names, they are popular enough for me that they can work on all sorts of characters.
(This is all a really imprecise measure of how the names feel to me, lol, but I hope it could be helpful.)

I really like [name]Neola[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], and [name]Amelia[/name]…even better [name]Enola[/name] (Alone spelled backwards). I also like that [name]Neola[/name], [name]Enola[/name], and [name]Amelia[/name] are 3 syllables. I need another 3 syllable character.

I love [name]Neola[/name] for your character. I think that the vibe fits perfectly, and even though it doesn’t appear to be a name that was commonly given during that time period (correct me if I’m wrong, but I couldn’t find it charted) it fits right it when names that were used, so it doesn’t sound anachronistic at all. It’s unusual but doesn’t seem too out there. It really seems to fit both the time period she was born in and the characteristics she has that you’ve described.

I could see [name]Amelia[/name] working, but I like [name]Imelda[/name] better, nn [name]Mellie[/name].

When I first come across it, I thought it fit the time period too. I still like [name]Enola[/name] better, but I would more likely use [name]Neola[/name] because I have another character named [name]Eric[/name]. I would rather not double up on the E’s. If it was S or T, a more common letter, it would be alright. Now, to come up with a surname. I figure something starting with P or H may work. [name]Parsons[/name], [name]Paton[/name], Peat, Petry, [name]Penrose[/name], [name]Perry[/name], Peterkin (my hubby’s mothers maiden name…maybe shouldn’t use that, but I like it), Peters, [name]Peterson[/name], Pilger. [name]Hodge[/name], Hardwick, Hartwick…I don’t know. I hate surnames. If I use [name]Enola[/name] or [name]Neola[/name], I should pair it with a common surname.

[name]Imelda[/name]?..interesting. I’ve never heard it before.

I think [name]Imelda[/name] [name]Penrose[/name] would work great for your witch. I’m not keen on [name]Neola[/name], seems a bit too exotic to me.

Of your list i think [name]Nell[/name] & [name]Elsie[/name] fit your description back, i instantly thought [name]Esme[/name] but that’s the the name of Granny Weatherwax, witch in [name]Terry[/name] Pratchetts Discworld series. Personally i would like that as a literay nod :smiley:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Esme[/name], but want nothing to do with Twilight names…not that I don’t [name]LOVE[/name] all them. I did suggest [name]Alice[/name], but eliminated it because of Twilight. [name]Imelda[/name]…[name]Imelda[/name]…it’s just not working for me. Pair it with [name]Penrose[/name] and it sounds too…fairy tale like if that makes any sense. I’m writing supernatural, but I want the characters to sound like real people if you know what I mean. They blend and walk in the “real world”. [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name]. I wish they had 3 syllables. :slight_smile: I have to go and clean my house…I’ll think on names some more.

I would head over to Bewitching Names because she wrote about what makes a good witch name.

[name]Just[/name] a random dosage of names:

[name]Virginia[/name] [name]Penrose[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Penrose[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Penrose[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Penrose[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name] [name]Penrose[/name] “[name]Lucy[/name], [name]Luca[/name]”
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Penrose[/name] “[name]Evie[/name]”
[name]Rhiannon[/name] [name]Penrose[/name]
[name]Clodagh[/name] [name]Penrose[/name]
[name]Danica[/name] [name]Penrose[/name]