Gosh, TALK ME OUT OF THIS NAME!

Please… I really like [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] on a boy. I know it’s primarily feminine & will lead to a lot of bullying (as well as misgendering), & I NEED to think about my child’s future! So talk me out of it!

It’s a nice name and it does have a history of male usage.

Do you like [name_m]Alexei[/name_m]?

9 Likes

I honestly don’t like [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] for a girl (not a bad name, just known too many bad ones) but it sounds really refreshing for a boy. Sure it’s more often heard on girls but it’s still a unisex name. These’s also [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] Ohanian so there’s definitely usage on boys. I would be very pleasantly surprised if I met a boy [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] and you never know how trends might change later on! Also like @acajou said Alexei is always another option that I think is super handsome. Sorry I’m not talking you out of it but I actually really like it for a boy :joy:. I have a unisex name and I’ve always loved it, even when it’s misheard a lot of the time.

1 Like

@acajou & @leafygreens, what about the NN [name_u]Alex[/name_u], or [name_m]Al[/name_m]? Would that automatically get lengthened to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]/Alan?

1 Like

Some would assume that it’s short for Alexander, especially Alex, but that’s a really easy correction and once people know I doubt they would forget it. With Al that could really be anything, Alexander, Alex, Albert, Alfred, Alastair, etc, etc, etc, but even then that’s an easy correction.

2 Likes

I think with [name_u]Alex[/name_u], people might assume it’s short for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. [name_m]Al[/name_m] is more ambiguous & could be short for anything.

2 Likes

I dont see a problem with [name_u]Alexis[/name_u]. Though many people will associate it with the phone app imo.

Similar names…
[name_m]Malakai[/name_m]
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]

2 Likes

I actually like [name_u]Elias[/name_u]… I’m actually surprised it’s masculine & not unisex; I can see it just as easily on both binary genders.

1 Like

The only [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] I’ve ever known was a guy who went almost exclusively by [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. I believe it’s used pretty regularly in the Latino community for boys as well

I think [name_u]Elias[/name_u] has similar vibes to [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] as well as sounds, so that might be a good firmly masculine choice

1 Like

I think if you pronounce it eh-LIE-us it sounds more masculine but if it’s said ELL-ee-us it sounds more feminine

1 Like

Totally agree. I defaulted to the second one, didn’t even consider first lol.

1 Like

I think it’s the -iss sound at the end.

1 Like

Yea it’s pretty firmly unisex in Hispanic communities, I’ve met both male and female [name_u]Alexis[/name_u]’s although I’ve met more girls with the name (I’m Hispanic and I live in a very large Hispanic community).

2 Likes

If you’re really wanting to be talked out of it… maybe the nn [name_u]Alex[/name_u] for an [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (or some name variant) there is also [name_m]Alexei[/name_m] which is considered masculine over unisex.

If you’re wanting to actually be talked into it then there’s always the possibility of using it as a mn. And while I’ll be honest the only [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] I’ve ever known has been female it is interesting that its so unisex- it means defending men so Inwouldnt expect that off the bat.

1 Like

I’ve come across guys named [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] and it works perfectly fine on them. Honestly, I don’t think kids care about this as much as we think they do.

3 Likes

Alexis is a common name for males too and doesn’t have a feminine sound, I don’t think it’s a teaseable name so I don’t know why you can’t use it. It’s not like [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] or [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u].

2 Likes

Alexis has had its time already, in my opinion. What about [name_u]Alexi[/name_u] for a boy? Super cool and edgy version of [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] while still maintaining a masculine touch! I love [name_u]Alexi[/name_u] for a boy! Maybe nickname [name_u]Lex[/name_u]?

1 Like

Alexis on a male seemed strange to me years ago, but my impression has drastically changed and now it seems like a much more masculine name than feminine (even now after having a niece named [name_u]Alexis[/name_u]). There’s nothing wrong with that, I just automatically associate the name with a male. Like many are saying, the nn [name_u]Alex[/name_u] is most likely going to be associated with [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], but I personally like familiar nn’s for uncommon fn’s.

1 Like

I think it works for a boy, but I prefer [name_u]Alexi[/name_u]

Edit: actually if you really want to be talked out of this name try looking up “a little bit alexis” from schitts creek! I can’t read the name without singing it…

3 Likes

I like [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] on a boy, it feels refreshing while on a girl it feels dated. But if you’re unconvinced, why not try another [name_u]Alex[/name_u]- name with [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] as a family nickname, or use it as a middle where there’s more scope for being a bit different

1 Like