Grabbing the Bull by the Horns: Help me figure out Olivia!

I’ve been struggling with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] for years. I lovelovelove it, so I know it’s not going anywhere, but if I loved it any less, I would probably just let it go, because she gives me so many issues. (le sigh. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have one of those names?) I’ve just been sticking with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camille[/name_f] for years because I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u], and I love it with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], and I love the significance of [name_f]Camille[/name_f] (I’ve taken piano off and on since I was 5, and one of my recital pieces was a composition of [name_f]Camille[/name_f] [name_m]Saint[/name_m]-Saens). It’s one of the few piano references on my list, and I don’t really want to lose the tie to music and piano, but I don’t love [name_f]Camille[/name_f] anymore, and [name_m]Saint[/name_m]-Saens was certainly never my favorite composer ([name_m]Mozart[/name_m] is, but I don’t have any desire to try and feminize [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m], [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m], or [name_m]Mozart[/name_m]… I also love Handel and [name_m]Edvard[/name_m] Grieg, but I have no intention of feminizing those, either!). Besides, the whole [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camille[/name_f] flow seems rather disjointed and all over the place to me, but I do like “C” middles with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u].

I just don’t even know where to start to find something I’d like–I had been tossing around [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], but I don’t know that that’s any better than [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camille[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], but I already have [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] all over my list; I don’t really want to repeat. I sort of like [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], and I do like the tie to The Importance of Being [name_m]Earnest[/name_m], but I’m not sure about [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], honestly, and I can’t think of any other “C” name I remotely like enough to try and pair it with such a huge favorite. I’ve liked [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] in the past, but they just seem too generic, too plain, too … something. Besides, I have [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and I’m not too keen on repeating.

Any ideas? With [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]'s popularity, I’d like something a bit more unexpected as a middle.

Thanks, ladies!

There is something about pairing O and C names together, isn’t there? That’s why [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is on my list. :slight_smile:

I kind of like the idea of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], since St. [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] is the patron saint of music, giving you a music connection in addition to “The Importance of Being [name_m]Earnest[/name_m]” one. You could also go with the variation [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], which I think flows better, but it’s very similar to [name_f]Camille[/name_f], so I’m not sure if you’d like it. Since you’ve liked [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (love!) in the past, what about [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]? [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] means “beautiful voice” and is also the name of a musical instrument.

I know you said you had no desire to feminize any of [name_m]Mozart[/name_m]'s names, but [name_f]Amadea[/name_f] is rather pretty, with a great meaning, “lover of God”. Also, Handel’s first name was [name_m]Georg[/name_m], so what about [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], which I think I remember you liking before?

And just some random suggestions:

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Corisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Solange[/name_f]

Another composer related option could be [name_m]Mozart[/name_m]'s wife [name_f]Constanze[/name_f] or any variation thereof ([name_f]Constance[/name_f], etc.). [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Constanze[/name_f] is quite pretty. :slight_smile: A way to get [name_m]Edvard[/name_m] could be [name_f]Edwina[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], or [name_f]Edith[/name_f].

You could also look into female composers like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (Schumann), [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] (Mendelssohn), [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] (Caccini), [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] (Strozzi), [name_f]Nadia[/name_f] (Boulanger), or some variation of these names. I also like the the PP’s suggestions of [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], and [name_f]Calliope[/name_f].

Thanks, ladies! @mega_muffin, I said that mainly because I wanted to avoid [name_f]Amadea[/name_f], haha. I love [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m], and is probably the only way I would consider honoring him (but really? He was so spoiled and full of himself, I’m not sure he really deserves it. But his music was always so beautiful and blithe!). I do love [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], and [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] (and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]–all of them, really–I just thought [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] was too rhymey). [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecile[/name_f]? [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Cecile[/name_f]? Maybe. I’ll keep tossing it around. :slight_smile: [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] could work–I just feel like something’s off. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]'s cool. I generally try to steer clear of mythology names, since I’m a [name_m]Christian[/name_m]. I just sort of feel like it’s wrong of me to name my child after something I believe is a fake god. But I always have liked [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]. Hmm. I do love [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], but I don’t really think of it as relating to [name_m]Georg[/name_m] Handel–more [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]. Which is cool. I love [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]. But it doesn’t have the music ties, haha. I do quite like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], and have been wanting to get [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] in as a middle, but is [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] just too many popular names at once? It’s not exactly [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], but I mentioned [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] to a friend, and she seemed to think that it was just too uninspired because it’s so many popular names together. idk. Now I worry about what I pair [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] with, haha. I like am not a huge [name_f]Corisande[/name_f] fan, but [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Corinne[/name_f] was my first ever [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] combo, and I’m reminded how much I still like it! I wonder if I could work with that somehow. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Corinna[/name_f] _____/[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Corinne[/name_f]? I feel like [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and [name_f]Corinne[/name_f] are too rhymey together?

@lisaer - I feel like a composer’s wife just isn’t close enough. I don’t know. I’m not a fan of [name_f]Constance[/name_f] (or her variants) at all, so [name_f]Constanze[/name_f] is out. I do [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Edith[/name_f], but I’ve never really liked vowel names with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] at all (with the exception of alliterative ones! [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Odette[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f], etc.). I don’t think I’m a fan of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Edith[/name_f], but I do sort of like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Edith[/name_f]? Is that crazy? I think it’s even more disjointed than [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camille[/name_f], haha.

I am trying to remember if there’s anything by [name_f]Clara[/name_f] Schumann I truly [name_f]LOVE[/name_f]. I’ve come across a piece by her husband recently that I’m really loving, but I don’t remember ever trying to play anything by [name_f]Clara[/name_f] herself. I do [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f], though, and it’s a family name, and I do like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and I sort of like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]/[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]/[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Fleur[/name_f]. I don’t know. We’ll see. :slight_smile: I was never too into [name_f]Nadia[/name_f] Boulanger, although I do love that she was [name_m]French[/name_m] and inspired so many great composers. I [name_f]DO[/name_f] love the name [name_f]Nadia[/name_f], a ton, and I love it as a middle, but I don’t think [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Nadia[/name_f] sounds the best. And if I did use it, it wouldn’t be in honor of Boulanger herself.

I’m thinking I might just go through Nameberry’s entire database sometime this weekend and see if anything sparks my interest with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. But keep commenting–please!–I am sure I need all the help I can get. :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camille[/name_f]. Would [name_f]Camilla[/name_f]/[name_f]Camila[/name_f] make a difference? [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camila[/name_f]. Freshens it up a bit visually, imo.

I also like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u], but no repeats…

A few other ideas:
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Claudette[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Cassiane[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]

[name_u]Ash[/name_u], you and I disagree on 2 middle names. I prefer one. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Camille[/name_f] is pure perfection! No need to add anything.

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Corinne[/name_f] is lovely. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Corinne[/name_f] is a tiny bit rhymey, but [name_f]Corinna[/name_f] could definitely work providing you’re saying it ‘kuh-reen-uh’ (or is that spelt [name_f]Corina[/name_f]/[name_f]Corrina[/name_f]? I don’t know. I’m sort of partial to the ancient Greek spelling [name_f]Korina[/name_f]). [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Corinna[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is beautiful… but maybe a bit heavy on the ‘ee-ah’ sounds for some people?

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is gorgeous! That would be my choice, although I think the simplicity of just [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] is perfect.

Anyway, my first thought was [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]. I know it’s a soft C sound, but aesthetically [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] is beautiful, and more unusual that [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. What about…

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] (does this spice up [name_f]Camille[/name_f]?)

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cataleya[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] (heard this recently, and I’m sort of in love with it at the minute… the little girl I know says it [name_f]Kat[/name_f]-uh-[name_f]LAYA[/name_f] rather than -[name_f]LEEAH[/name_f] like Nameberry have it listed as, but its such a pretty flower name).

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Cosette[/name_f]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Dulcie[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Winona[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] - I don’t usually like [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] but I love it here. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] might work better depending on pronunciation.

sorry - I’ve put [name_u]Wren[/name_u] last in the majority of these… it just sounds better to me with some of the names with similar sounds to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] I think. But then I’m usually bad with combinations - I think it’s possibly my accent, possibly the fact I love repetition and alliteration which people don’t tend to ‘get’ haha.

I also love the rare appreciation [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] gets on Nameberry! I genuinely adore my name. It would be on my list if it wasn’t my own (is that weird? I don’t know!)

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] used to be one of my favorites but I guess it just fizzled out. I personally prefer [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I also like the suggestion [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camilla[/name_f].

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]–thanks for the suggestions! I especially liked [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], which is strange, since I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] and had tried it with nearly all the names on my list to see if I could place it anywhere. I’m not sure how I missed [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]! I had [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camille[/name_f] because I was at [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] before I went to double middles, and I had always loved [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u], and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camille[/name_f], and I thought they flowed well together with the ah-[name_f]LIV[/name_f]-ee-ah [name_u]WREN[/name_u] cah-MEEL emphasis. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Camille[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] just didn’t sound as good. Plus, I’m weird about [name_u]Wren[/name_u] as a middle–I generally prefer it up front. It just seems to flow a bit weird, but maybe that’s just me. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is cute; I’m just not sure. I’ll probably keep it in mind as I toss around other options. We’ll see if it goes into the love pile or not. :slight_smile:

To those who suggested [name_f]Camilla[/name_f]–I’ve preferred [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] all along, but I am weird about having two names in one combo ending in “A”. I personally have no issue with something like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Marina[/name_f]… but something like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camilla[/name_f]? I just can’t do it for some reason, haha! I think it’s my OCD. I just don’t like the sound when there’s a name that ends in an “A”, then one that doesn’t, then one that does.