Graduation Name Statistics

(Inspired by sparkleninja18 and esmith0326)

I spent a few years in a Catholic girl’s school, and graduated junior high school from there. Today, I decided to dig up my yearbook, and made a survey of everybody’s names. Here are the results.

Class of 2016
Place: Somewhere in the Philippines
Years of birth: 1998-2000
Area: [name_f]Asian[/name_f] (obviously), Catholic (obviously), and mostly middle-class
Number of students: 189

Most common 1st names (representing 20.63% of the population):
[name_f]Maria[/name_f] (13)*
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] (10)*
[name_f]Patricia[/name_f] (4)
[name_u]Andrea[/name_u] (3)
[name_f]Christine[/name_f] (3)
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] (3)
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] (3)

*Almost no one actually called themselves [name_f]Maria[/name_f] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. They either went by their middle names or had nicknames of some sort.

Most common middle names (representing 20.10% of the population):
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]/[name_f]May[/name_f] (13)
[name_f]Marie[/name_f] (9)
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f]/[name_f]Nikole[/name_f] (4)
[name_f]Joy[/name_f] (3)
[name_u]Joyce[/name_u] (3)
[name_f]Pauline[/name_f] (3)
[name_f]Paula[/name_f] (3)*

*Two of the girls with the middle name [name_f]Paula[/name_f] were actually twins.

Other Observations:

1. In addition to all the variations of [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_u]Angel[/name_u]- and [name_u]Fran[/name_u]- names were quite common. The former group is represented by [name_f]Angela[/name_f], [name_f]Angelique[/name_f], [name_f]Angeli[/name_f], and [name_f]Angelica[/name_f], to name a few; while the latter includes [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_m]Franc/name_mesca, and Francia, among others.
  2. Unlike what one may expect from a Catholic school, there were surprisingly few to no students named [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_f]Anne[/name_f] appears only as a middle name, there is only one girl named [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], and although we have [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Lizette[/name_f], no one answers to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].
  3. Unlike what seems to be the trend in the United States, the [name_m]French[/name_m] form of the name (ending in -e) is slightly more common than the Latinate form (ending in -a). So we have [name_f]Danielle[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f], and [name_f]Therese[/name_f], but not [name_f]Daniella[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f], or [name_f]Theresa[/name_f].
  4. There were people named [name_f]Colleen[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], and [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] (!)…but all of them, without fail, used a “nonstandard” spelling instead of the most common one.
  5. On nicknames: [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] was [name_f]Pia[/name_f], [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] was [name_m]Pau[/name_m], and [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] was always [name_f]Kathy[/name_f] or Kath, never [name_f]Kate[/name_f].
  6. Some girls had an obviously male name as their first or middle: [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] [name_m]Clyde[/name_m], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_m]Andrei[/name_m], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Justin[/name_m], [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_u]Kyle[/name_u] (no middle name).
  7. I have no explanation for the Patricias. Aside from the ones in our yearbook, I know three others who were in our batch at school, but transferred out before graduation. [name_f]Patricia[/name_f] peaked in the mid-century in [name_u]America[/name_u], so it may be considered out of style over there; but all my acquaintances named that are under 30, and the oldest one I’ve heard of in this country is 32.
  8. Some parents weren’t afraid to make up names. Enough said.
  9. Some surprises: [name_f]Eunice[/name_f] [name_f]Bianca[/name_f], [name_f]Blanche[/name_f] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Beverly[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Aletheia[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Yvonne[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Lyra[/name_f].