Grandmothers

[name]Hi[/name] all, just new to this so bear with me.

I’m looking for a name that will involve both my grandmothers names but I don’t particularly like them, [name]Selena[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name]. Any suggestions on what?

What if you left off the S from [name]Selena[/name]–[name]Elena[/name]?

I’m afraid I don’t have any [name]Dorothy[/name] ideas. My grandmother’s middle name is [name]Dorothy[/name], and I’ve already wracked my brain trying to think of something similar that I actually like. The only thing I came up with is the middle name [name]Doe[/name], which I’m not sure of either!

[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Helen[/name] ie the Dor from [name]Dorothy[/name] and the [name]Elen[/name] from [name]Selena[/name]

then using the D only and finding girl’s names that you like eg
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Darien[/name]

Funny you should suggest [name]Helena[/name] rollo, I have a sister called [name]Helen[/name]. Think my other sis might feel left out.

Fab suggestions though. Thanks x

I like the idea of [name]Doe[/name] as a middle name to honor [name]Dorothy[/name], and I think [name]Selena[/name] is a beautiful name in itself, but here are some suggestions:

[name]Celie[/name] [name]Dot[/name]
[name]Celie[/name] [name]Doe[/name]
[name]Sela[/name] [name]Dot[/name]
[name]Sela[/name] [name]Doe[/name]
[name]Cella[/name] [name]Dot[/name]
[name]Cella[/name] [name]Doe[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Selene[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] you like some of those.

[name]Selena[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name]

[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Selah[/name]
[name]Seline[/name]/[name]Celine[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Seren[/name]/[name]Serenity[/name]

[name]Luna[/name] ([name]Serena[/name] means moon as do these names)
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Neoma[/name]

[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Pandora[/name]
[name]Dora[/name]
[name]Dorrie[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Doreen[/name]
[name]Doris[/name]

[name]Ruby[/name] - twist on [name]Dorothy[/name] (shoes)

Sia - [name]Selena[/name]

Haha! I never would have thought about the [name]Ruby[/name] thing but that’s a neat idea! (erin elizabeth)

By any chance did your mother use grandmother’s name with your sis who is not named [name]Helen[/name]? If so it would mean we could honour both sisters and grandmothers in one neat package. Otherwise honour one grandmother and one sis this time and with the next baby girl honour the other sis and the other grandmother but tell them your plan first so they don’t get miffed.

rollo

You don’t like [name]Dorothy[/name]?! I’m stuck with two Margarets to honour and you’re rejecting [name]Dorothy[/name]! :open_mouth: [name]Just[/name] joking - I actually do like [name]Margaret[/name], just for the record. Anyway…

I love the suggestion of [name]Dot[/name] or [name]Doe[/name] as a middle name! They’re both very sweet. I also love the suggestions of [name]Ruby[/name]! You could also use [name]Ro[/name], possibly even in the form of [name]Romilly[/name] or something similar (which has a similar rhythm, actually). I would also put [name]Ro[/name] in the sweet and fun middle name catorgary - along with [name]Dot[/name] and [name]Doe[/name]… [name]Dolly[/name] too.

Also, there are lots of other ‘dora’ names. [name]Eldora[/name]? [name]Eudora[/name]? [name]Theodora[/name]? [name]Fedora[/name]? And then there are it’s varients: [name]Doretta[/name]? [name]Dorika[/name]? [name]Dorotha[/name]?

For [name]Selena[/name], I really like the suggestions of [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Seren[/name] (have long been a lover of [name]Seren[/name]!). I also love [name]Celeste[/name]. Again, I don’t really have many which haven’t already been suggested. Maybe these (although most are pushing it):

[name]Ena[/name] or [name]Enya[/name]
[name]Ellie[/name]
Cecilly
[name]Lina[/name]
[name]Zelene[/name]
[name]Salina[/name]
[name]Selma[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]

If you wanted to smush them… [name]Dorina[/name] would be an idea, or even [name]Doreen[/name].

Oh… and I just had the thought of [name]Rowena[/name]. The ‘row’ sound from [name]Dorothy[/name], and the ‘eena’ from [name]Selena[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Selene[/name] and other moon/astronological name options:
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Chandra[/name] ([name]Moon[/name] in Sanskirt)
Lusine / [name]Lucine[/name] ([name]Moon[/name] in Armenian)
[name]Cynthia[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Rhiannon[/name] (Welsh moon goddess)
[name]Larissa[/name] (a moon of [name]Neptune[/name])
[name]Callisto[/name] (a moon of [name]Jupiter[/name])
[name]Miranda[/name] (a moon of Uranus)
[name]Portia[/name] (a moon of Uranus)
[name]Stella[/name] (star)
Sunniva (Norwegian using elements from Old English meaning “sun gift”) - [name]Selene[/name] was a Greel moon goddess, and the “[name]Doro[/name]” element means gift in Greek)

Also, there is [name]Dorothea[/name] (longer form of [name]Dorothy[/name]) and [name]Theodora[/name] (related name with the elements in reverse order). [Possible nicknames [name]Dot[/name], [name]Dory[/name], [name]Dora[/name], [name]Tea[/name], [name]Thea[/name]] (Some of those could even make nice first names especially [name]Dora[/name] or [name]Thea[/name]).

If you end up with a boy and still want to honor the grandmothers - [name]Theodore[/name] [[name]Theo[/name], [name]Ted[/name], [name]Teddy[/name]], [name]Thaddeus[/name] (also related to [name]Dorothy[/name]) are interesting options to consider.