Granger?

[name_m]Granger[/name_m] is my absolute favorite name, has been on the top of my list for years. I know it’s a little different, but it’s my kind of different!

As a rule, I don’t share my names with people I know. I know when names aren’t attached to a person, people love to share opinions.

The topic came up at work and I caved to the pressure. I was not prepared for the reaction I received…

So am I way off base here? What’s the vibe?

1 Like

I think Granger is cool! I really like surnames and occupation names for boys, and this fits right in with that trend. It’s familiar, and easy to say and easy to spell, so I don’t see any problem with it!
It also makes me think of Hermione Granger from Harry Potter, who is one of my favorite fictional characters, so I appreciate it for that reason. (Though I don’t think the name is too attached to Harry Potter, don’t worry!)
If you love the name, that’s all that matters. I totally understand what you mean, though. I hate hearing anything negative about my favorite names. But I think Granger is great. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love it. Fits in with gauge and gunner and hunter but far less common.

1 Like

[name_m]Granger[/name_m] is a great name! I like how it’s manly and sturdy and husky and outdoorsy, yet it has a softness to it.

2 Likes

It’s really sweet and like nameberry’s profile about it says, warm and friendly. Reminds me of [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m], or a park ranger.

1 Like

[name_m]Granger[/name_m] has also been a favourite of mine for years, so obviously I think it’s a great name. very usable, and fits right in with current trend of ‘er’ ending surname names, without being over-used. I find that outside of places like Nameberry, and where people aren’t particularly into names, then anything not absolutely mainstream gets a very negative reaction. I certainly would not be put off such a great name!

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of it being used as a first name before, but I think it’s on trend. There’s so many different last names being used as first names at the moment, I don’t see why [name_m]Granger[/name_m] wouldn’t fit in. As long as you’re fine with the Harry Potter association, I think you should use it :relaxed:

1 Like

This!

2 Likes

[name_m]Granger[/name_m] is really cool! Rugged, interesting and warm

1 Like

Yep, I’ve seen people considering the name [name_m]Granger[/name_m] recently and I’m always happy to see it come up. I can imagine it on a young boy, but also on a warm and kind, but strong and fatherly older man. It has a lot going for it, not least the [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m] connection which makes it infinitely more cool (imho).

1 Like

It’s not really my taste. I think of the word grunge or [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m] from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. I think if you really love a name though then you should use it.

3 Likes

I’m not usually much for occupational names, and this one’s a bit too [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] for me anyway, but that’s just me. For you however, love it! I can absolutely hear it being called at the playground. As mentioned above, it gives off a rugged, warm, and unique vibe.

1 Like

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear so many people support this name! I definitely think once I’m actually ready to use it I’ll keep it a secret until baby is here. The [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] reference isn’t a big deal to me, I’m not a fan personally, but I think it’s helpful because people recognize it as a name because of that!

I recognize this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and I really appreciate the kind responses of those that don’t love it.

When I mentioned it at work, one girl immediately began telling me that it was incredibly trashy and that it sounded like the name of a person that would come from the less well to do side of our home city, where drugs and crime are common. I just don’t want to set my kid up to deal with that reaction before people even meet him!

1 Like

I actually do like it. It has a cardigan sweater, crunchy leaves vibe for me. Cozy and warm. I don’t understand the person who said it was trashy; seems to me more like an L.L. [name_u]Bean[/name_u] catalog kind of name.

2 Likes

If it makes you feel any better i didn’t think of the harry potter association at all :joy: I’m not a fan either. This name gives me a little country vibe, only because there is a country singer with the name! :cowboy_hat_face:

I love it and it’s unique!!!

1 Like

I like this one. I think of [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and [name_m]Granger[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m].

1 Like

Totally agree with what @starless said above! I think it’s totally usable and cool and on trend. I really like it!