Grant: Nicknames? Similar names?

Hubby has for once showed interest in a name I suggested, [name_m]Grant[/name_m]. I really like the name but find it hard to imagine a tiny squishy newborn or toddler with such a grown up name. I also am a serial nicknamer and it’s impossible for me not to give names nicknames, especially from one-syllable names. However, what in the world are nicknames for [name_m]Grant[/name_m] other than Granty? Gran sounds like grandma nickname… I figure he’d go by [name_m]Grant[/name_m] all the time but I know if I were calling to him or saying his name affectionately, I’d nickname it.

(interestingly enough I had a foster dog named [name_m]Grant[/name_m] years ago, but cannot remember his nicknames at all)

Additionally if there’s other names that go well with [name_m]Grant[/name_m] I’m open to suggestions to pose to the husband :slight_smile:

Thanks!

There really is no need for nicknames with [name_m]Grant[/name_m]. As for sweet baby names, pet names, those will develop on their own once the little guy is born. Personally, I can easily see a baby [name_m]Grant[/name_m], a teen [name_m]Grant[/name_m], and a grown [name_m]Grant[/name_m].

[name_m]Grant[/name_m] could be:

[name_u]Sonny[/name_u]
Ant
[name_u]Gray[/name_u]
G

I think it would be a name you got used to on a baby/toddler - it you always called him that, it wouldn’t feel odd

Some names that remind me of [name_m]Grant[/name_m]

[name_m]Gareth[/name_m]
[name_m]Scott[/name_m]
[name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_m]Hayes[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_m]Craig[/name_m]
[name_m]Colin[/name_m]
[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]
[name_u]Grady[/name_u]

I can’t really think of a nickname. Ant maybe while he’s young?
Or you could use his nicknames. For example, a [name_m]Grant[/name_m] [name_m]Bennet[/name_m] could be [name_m]Gibby[/name_m].
Are you looking for name suggestions? [name_m]Grant[/name_m] sounds modern, manly and isn’t too complicated so what about:
[name_m]Alec[/name_m] “[name_m]Al[/name_m]”
[name_m]Anders[/name_m] “[name_u]Andy[/name_u]”
[name_u]August[/name_u] “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]”
[name_m]Archer[/name_m] “[name_m]Archie[/name_m]”
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m] “[name_m]Abe[/name_m]”
[name_m]Alban[/name_m] “[name_m]Albie[/name_m]”
[name_u]Beau[/name_u] “[name_m]Bowie[/name_m]” “[name_u]Bobby[/name_u]” “B”
[name_m]Boone[/name_m] “[name_u]Boo[/name_u]” “B”
[name_m]Bram[/name_m] “B”
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] “[name_m]Ben[/name_m]” “[name_m]Benny[/name_m]”
[name_m]Beckett[/name_m] “[name_u]Beck[/name_u]”
[name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] “[name_m]Cy[/name_m]” “[name_m]Russ[/name_m]”
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] “[name_u]Cal[/name_u]”
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] “[name_m]Mac[/name_m]”
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Clayton[/name_m] “[name_m]Clay[/name_m]”
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u] “[name_m]Dex[/name_m]”
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] “[name_u]Dash[/name_u]”
[name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_m]Ford[/name_m]
[name_m]Foster[/name_m]
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_u]Gus[/name_u]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m] “[name_m]Griff[/name_m]” “[name_u]Finn[/name_u]”
[name_m]Garrett[/name_m] “Rett”
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] “[name_m]Donny[/name_m]”
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_m]Joel[/name_m] “[name_u]Joey[/name_u]”
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u] “[name_m]Keen[/name_m]”
[name_u]Luca[/name_u] “[name_m]Luke[/name_m]”
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u] “[name_m]Lenny[/name_m]”
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] “[name_m]Law[/name_m]”
[name_m]Leon[/name_m] “[name_m]Leo[/name_m]”
[name_m]Leander[/name_m] “[name_m]Leo[/name_m]” “[name_u]Andy[/name_u]”
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] “[name_m]Nate[/name_m]”
[name_u]Orion[/name_u] “[name_u]Ori[/name_u]”
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] “[name_u]Finn[/name_u]”
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m] “[name_m]Ralphie[/name_m]”
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m] “Reu” “[name_m]Ben[/name_m]” “[name_m]Benny[/name_m]”
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] “[name_m]Ron[/name_m]” “[name_u]Ronnie[/name_u]” “[name_f]Ro[/name_f]”
[name_u]Rohan[/name_u] “[name_f]Ro[/name_f]”
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] “[name_m]Shep[/name_m]”
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] “[name_u]Sully[/name_u]” “[name_u]Van[/name_u]”
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] “[name_m]Sol[/name_m]”
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] “[name_u]Toby[/name_u]”
[name_m]Thatcher[/name_m] “[name_m]Thatch[/name_m]”
[name_m]Tripp[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m] “[name_u]Vic[/name_u]” “Vix”
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] “[name_u]Vinny[/name_u]” “[name_m]Vince[/name_m]”
[name_m]Walter[/name_m] “[name_m]Walt[/name_m]” “[name_u]Wally[/name_u]”
[name_m]Xander[/name_m] “[name_m]Xan[/name_m]” “[name_u]Andy[/name_u]”
[name_m]Zane[/name_m]

I went to school with a boy named [name_m]Grant[/name_m], he didn’t really have a nickname but he had three bothers named [name_m]Gavin[/name_m], [name_m]Griffin[/name_m], and [name_u]Galen[/name_u]. So all of those names will always remind me of [name_m]Grant[/name_m]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps! :slight_smile:

I agree with PP about using a middle and splicing them together, but as a new suggestion I can also suggesting looking into middle initials and call him by his initials.

GD is one I’ve heard of before, you can also try GC or GT.

I also know 2 Grants, one’s around my age and, for the most part, a pretty nice guy, while the other is a baby who is, like you said, squishy. I think it fits them both well.

Thank you! Some of these are on my list, so it’s nice to hear about them being similar styles/compatible. I like [name_m]Scott[/name_m], [name_m]Graham[/name_m], [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] and [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]. ([name_m]Graham[/name_m] is maybe off the list just because I work closely with a [name_m]Graham[/name_m] and the name is presently a bit too… Strongly associated with that personality, lol) [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] is a family name of my ex boyfriend, not that anyone but me would be aware of it. [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] is my current favorite, and I’m trying to get husband to come around to it (all he can think of is [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] X… Ergh).

Thank you!

I agree with this.

Thank you! Nicknames are hard, so a middle name/squished combo may be a good option.
Of your list I’ll suggest to my husband
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m], anders (though he has a friend named that so it’d be funny to use that), [name_u]August[/name_u] (is it a bit on the nose since he’ll be born in [name_u]August[/name_u], I wonder… But I love auggie and [name_u]Gus[/name_u]), [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] (we have a creek named [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] near us so I think it’s a common but not too frequently used name around here), [name_m]Foster[/name_m], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]. Thank you!

I tried to suggest [name_m]Gavin[/name_m]! I really like it (it popped into my head a few weeks ago and I was like oh… That could be the name!)… Husband chuckled and said, and his friend [name_u]Ashton[/name_u]? Does he have a surfboard? (which is so random of him to think that lol… But we are on the coast so he COULD grow up to be a surfer after all!)
Anyway, his response was surprising but you and I are on the same page at least! Haha. Thank you!

I hear what y’all are saying… But it is almost a compulsion for me to add/edit/modify a name I use a lot. I think the foster dog I had who I named [name_m]Grant[/name_m] I ended up calling Grantie or [name_m]Grant[/name_m]-man… Which are more pet names (no pun intended) than true nicknames. One syllable names just beg for modification for me.
Plus I am a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], who spent years 0-17 mostly as a [name_f]Katie[/name_f] (parents called me [name_f]Katie[/name_f] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f], but friends used [name_f]Katie[/name_f]), and then college and up as a [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. I have quite liked the flexibility of a longer name. (not that it matters for a boy but if, as a girl who would take her husband’s last name, I were to have married someone w a rhyming last name Yates, for example, I like that I could transition back to [name_f]Katie[/name_f] as not to be [name_f]Kate[/name_f] Yates. I know that’s not a prime concern but just illustrates how I feel about adaptable, multi syllable first names. Much more potential! Unfortunately [name_m]David[/name_m] seems to like those one syllable names. (another person’s opinions never came into play my entire life of dreaming up baby name lists!!!)

Thank you for your input!

A name I thought about with a similar feel to [name_m]Grant[/name_m] is [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m].

A nickname for [name_m]Grant[/name_m] could just be G/[name_m]Gee[/name_m] but like pp say a nickname might just come naturally.

X

Granto
Granter
[name_m]Grant[/name_m] [name_m]Bennet[/name_m] “GB”

I think part of the beauty of [name_m]Grant[/name_m] is its simplicity!! If you feel like he needs a nickname when he’s younger, you don’t necessarily have to use something derived from his first name - I’ve heard of people calling their small children [name_f]Bunny[/name_f], Grape, etc. Or you could base his nickname off of his middle name! For example I know a girl with the middle name “[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]” who went by [name_f]Lily[/name_f] until she was ten or eleven.