Great Alternitives to popular names!

For [name]Emma[/name]: [name]Ebba[/name] or [name]Enna[/name].
[name]Olivia[/name]: [name]Livia[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]: Sophina
[name]Ava[/name]: [name]Avalon[/name] or [name]Avery[/name].
[name]Madison[/name]: [name]Madelyn[/name], [name]Madelena[/name]

Which are your favorite?

I like Sophina!

I would like to add something for [name]Isabella[/name]: [name]Orabella[/name], or [name]Isaline[/name].

I like Sophina, too!

I like [name]Avalon[/name] and [name]Madelena[/name] if it was [name]Magdalena[/name]…

For [name]Emma[/name]: [name]Ebba[/name] or [name]Enna[/name]. --I think I like [name]Ebba[/name] best. Also consider: [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], Imma.

[name]Olivia[/name]: [name]Livia[/name]. --I find [name]Livia[/name] too “just-short-for-[name]Olivia[/name]”. [name]Olive[/name], however, has a great ring to it.

[name]Sophia[/name]: Sophina. --This one’s okay, but not a personal favorite. Also consider: [name]Sapphira[/name], [name]Seraphina[/name]/[name]Serafine[/name](+ other spelling alternatives), [name]Sabina[/name] nn Bia.

[name]Ava[/name]: [name]Avalon[/name] or [name]Avery[/name]. --Actually, I think of [name]Ava[/name] as the new [name]Avery[/name]. [name]Avalon[/name] is cool, but not my naming style; it’d work great for someone else, though! Also consider: [name]Ada[/name] (AY-dah), nn for [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Adelina[/name], or [name]Ida[/name]/[name]Dinah[/name] sounding names.

[name]Madison[/name]: [name]Madelyn[/name], [name]Madelena[/name]. --To me, [name]Madelyn[/name] just makes it trendier looking. I like where you’re going with [name]Madelena[/name], although I’d add a G (Magdelena). Other M alternatives: [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Maeva[/name], Marcelline, [name]Mirabel[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name] “[name]Mamie[/name]”, or if you’re going for the “last-name-as-first”, [name]Lennox[/name] or [name]Campbell[/name] (if you can forget about the soup).

I really liked a lot of your names; I totally think their better than the overused originals.
(:

Yay! My grandmother’s name is [name]Ebba[/name]. I am very glad to see it get some love. I always thought it was pretty but had never seen anyone else with it. For the longest time I thought her mother had made it up.

For me, “Sophina” is my name of endearment for my 14 year old granddaughter [name]Sophie[/name] (given name [name]Sophia[/name]). I’ve never thought of Sophina as a ‘real’ name, but just as a take-off on [name]Sophie[/name]'s name. I don’t think there would be much to be gained if one were to name a baby Sophina instead of [name]Sophia[/name]: she still might be called the almost equally popular [name]Sophie[/name].

I think if parents really love a name they should use it and not worry about whether or not their child might encounter others with her/his name. Two of the 14 boys in my twin grandsons’ preschool class were called [name]Adrian[/name], #68 the year they were born – now who would have predicted that? On the other hand, there were no duplicates of either of the twins’ names which were #5 and #18 the year of their birth.

And while alternatives are interesting, for some parents they’re just not as desirable as the original. For parents who really want a name that happens to be in the top 10, like [name]Emma[/name], then often only [name]Emma[/name] will do.

I love [name]Olive[/name] instead of [name]Olivia[/name].