Greek Boy Names...

[name]Hi[/name] Berries! I’m in a bit of a pickle. A friend needs male Greek names that don’t start with an s, and don’t end with an -s or -r. That eliminates nearly all of them. Can you think of any that fit the bill? All I can come up with are [name]Calix[/name]/Calyx, [name]Galen[/name], [name]Orion[/name], [name]Apollo[/name]…are there any more? Thanks!

How about Zephyr?

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that it can’t end in R either. I’ll get back to you!

Ok, here are a few - some of these are Greek variants of Hebrew names - but I found them on a Greek name list:

Aeton
Aison
Aither
Alexio
Bion
Chariton
Damon
Drakon
Ephraim
Kheiron
Myron

Hmm, what about:

Acheron
[name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Ajax[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name] (does this work? It doesn’t end with an “S”, but it ends in an “S” sound…)
[name]Anatoli[/name]
[name]Bastian[/name]
[name]Calisto[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Cyrano[/name]
Pirro
[name]Pollux[/name]
[name]Stefan[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Theron[/name]
[name]Neo[/name]
[name]Zenobio[/name]
[name]Perrin[/name]
Papandrou

I’m not sure how many of these are truly Greek–I found them all on a Greek name site. I like Acheron and [name]Cyrano[/name], personally. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

[name]Cyril[/name]
Nathanail
Panteleimon
[name]Emmanuel[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
Ilarion
[name]Constantine[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]

I got these off of a list of Greek Orthodox patriarchs and bishops

Well i’m Greek so I’m sure I can help you! If you need to know how to pronounce something or what any of these means (in case Nameberry doesn’t have it) just ask.

Acacio
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Anatole[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name]
Apelio
Arion
[name]Aristotle[/name]
Atalo
Athan
Auxano
[name]Avel[/name]
Calimaco
Calinico
[name]Calisto[/name]
Cerano
Chrysander – I know you said no R ending, but I love this and want it to be used!
[name]Cleon[/name]
[name]Cyrano[/name]
[name]Cyril[/name]
[name]Damario[/name]
[name]Demetri[/name] – form of [name]Demetrius[/name] which means love of the earth
[name]Doran[/name]
[name]Dorian[/name]
Estraton
Eterio
[name]Galen[/name]
[name]Halcyon[/name]
[name]Helio[/name]
[name]Isidore[/name]
[name]Jason[/name]
[name]Karsten[/name]
Konstantine
Morfeo
[name]Myron[/name]
[name]Nemo[/name]
[name]Nicandro[/name]
[name]Odell[/name]
[name]Orfeo[/name]
[name]Pello[/name]
[name]Pepin[/name]
Perseo
Philart
Pirro
[name]Pollux[/name]
Proteo
Tanek
Teon
[name]Theron[/name]
[name]Timon[/name]
[name]Tybalt[/name]
[name]Zale[/name]
[name]Zeno[/name]

To get technical on you, the reason most/all Greek male names end in “s” is because they are male nominative singulars- in English we got rid of most of our case endings back between Middle English and Modern English. So while a Greek name might technically be Vasillis, for example, everyone will call him Vasilli. Ditto many of the names that others have mentioned. So it really comes down to whether your friend wants a name derived from the Greek ([name]Constantine[/name], [name]Dimitri[/name], etc) or the actual Greek version ([name]Constantinos[/name], [name]Dimitrios[/name]). HTH! By the way, my favorite Greek male names are [name]Apollo[/name] (actual Greek [name]Apollos[/name]), [name]Adonis[/name], [name]Orion[/name], [name]Odysseus[/name], Stratos, and [name]Theron[/name]. A Greek friend, looking for a Greek name that he thought would work in the US, named his child Xenon.

Thanks for the help everyone. She hasn’t responded to my suggestions…now I’m kind of scared. Haha.