Greek names/too out there?

[name]Baby[/name] girl due in [name]April[/name], DH and I are considering a greek name after his heritage

I love some of the names, but I worry they might be TOO out there… we definitely want a strong name for our daughter and we’re okay with unusual, but I’m wondering where the line is between unusual/unique and just plain weird. FYI, middle name will most likely be [name]Rose[/name] and last name is common, so we aren’t going all out obscure on our child.

[name]Penelope[/name] is already on our list, but we have the opposite worry with that, it might be too trendy/common…

Other’s we’re considering:

[name]Hypatia[/name] - As a fan of math/science I love that she was a greek scholar and a strong woman, and that the name means Supreme. Can’t think of any good nicknames though and wondering if it’s better suited for a middle name… although I feel it might lose some of it’s value being a middle name, as I’m guessing we’d never use it…

[name]Persephone[/name] - Not a common name, but definitely well known in mythology so I wonder if that would detract from the name. Still, I like [name]Effy[/name] and Sephie as possible nicknames

[name]Electra[/name] - I think it’s a pretty name, but I instantly think of [name]Carmen[/name] [name]Electra[/name] when I hear it, and not sure I like that association…

[name]Phaedra[/name] - [name]Love[/name] the name, and I like that it is quite uncommon, I just wonder if it is TOO unusual, and I will be condemning my baby to years of name judgement and spelling it out… I do like Aidra as a nickname though.

Others we liked:
Hesper/Hespera
[name]Zephyra[/name]
[name]Galatea[/name]
Malantha

[name]Do[/name] any of these strike you as just too weird to name someone? While I think all of these names sound beautiful, I worry there isn’t much room/appreciation for them in Modern [name]America[/name]…

[name]Penelope[/name] - I agree that this name is getting more popular, but it is far and away from being trendy. It is such a sweet name so I don’t think you could go wrong with [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Rose[/name]!

[name]Hypatia[/name] - [name]How[/name] do you pronounce this? I would guess hi-pat-cha or hi-pat-tee-ah. You could have the nick name [name]Tia[/name].

[name]Persephone[/name] - I like this name, but I could see issues with pronunciation. I like [name]Persephone[/name] [name]Rose[/name] though, so nice.

[name]Electra[/name] - lol, that is exactly what I though when I read this name.

[name]Phaedra[/name] - I remembered this name a few weeks ago and posted it as a suggestion to someone on here. I really like it. Sweet but strong, kind of like [name]Alexandra[/name] imo. I do like [name]Phaedra[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and I don’t think that it would be hard to pronounce or anything.

Others we liked:
Hesper/Hespera - This reminds me of [name]Hester[/name] which I am not ready to see.
[name]Zephyra[/name] - not my style.
[name]Galatea[/name] - I like [name]Hypatia[/name] better.
Malantha - Ooh I like this. Kind of like an updated [name]Samantha[/name].

My favorite names are: [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Persephone[/name], [name]Phaedra[/name] and Malantha but you can’t go wrong with most of these names because they are pretty and unforgetable!

What about [name]Calliope[/name]? It has a similar sound and flow as [name]Penelope[/name] but is less common.

What about [name]Calliope[/name]? It has a similar sound and flow as [name]Penelope[/name] but is less common.

[name]Hypatia[/name] - I would pronounce it as high-PAY-sha, although I have no idea if that is actually correct or not. Someone suggested [name]Pacey[/name] as a nickname and I kind of liked that. [name]Tia[/name] would also work. I’m considering swapping and going [name]Rose[/name] [name]Hypatia[/name] on this one, which I think works a little better, I just don’t know if I like [name]Rose[/name] enough to be a first name, I’m definitely a “more syllables the better” for a first name kind of person.

I agree [name]Persephone[/name] [name]Rose[/name] sounds lovely. I just wonder if it’s TOO greek, and my very Irish/[name]German[/name] side of the family is going to wonder why the heck I went with that…

Wasn’t sure how well Malantha would go over, glad someone else likes it!

I like [name]Calliope[/name] as a name, in fact I like the way it sounds better than [name]Penelope[/name], but some of DH’s cousins already got to the name, so it’s pretty much out.

Okay I now like [name]Hypatia[/name] and [name]Pacey[/name] is too gorgeous!
I don’t think that [name]Persephone[/name] is too greek at all. I think that in this day and age we all borrow so much from different cultures that most people who aren’t name geeks wouldn’t even know that history of this name.
I do like [name]Calliope[/name] a lot, but I do still like [name]Penelope[/name] a bit better because it seems a bit sweeter (and maybe because I know a million [name]Callie[/name]'s in this world!)

I like [name]Penelope[/name] & Caliope (as mentioned by pp).
[name]Phaedra[/name] reminds me of the diet drug Ephedra (if I’m prn [name]Phaedra[/name] correctly).

I love [name]Ione[/name], FWIW! [name]Ione[/name] [name]Rose[/name]?