Greenleaf

See the results of this poll: Does Greenleaf fit better on a boy or a girl?

Respondents: 12 (This poll is closed)

• Boy: 6 (50%)
  • Girl: 6 (50%)

[name]Lyndsay[/name],

Funny you should bring this up! My residential college - where I live - at my university is called [name]William[/name] Greenleaf [name]Eliot[/name], for Mr. [name]Eliot[/name]. So, I guess I vote boy! But, at the same time, we have a female a cappella group called The Greenleafs, so maybe it works for a girl, too. Either way, cool name!

Choose girl or boy based on which first name it works best with…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I also think of Greenleaf for a boy. This is probably because of Legolas Greenleaf from The [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings. [name]Just[/name] shows how much books can influence your perception of a name.

When I first saw the title of this post, I looked rather askance at it, but now I am warming up to Greenleaf. And since you have personal connections to it, I think Greenleaf would make a fine middle name. For a first, it still seems a little bit “out there”.

I also thought of [name]Greeley[/name]. It has most of the same sounds as Greenleaf without some of the more cumbersome consonants. I really like [name]Greeley[/name].

Good luck!

I voted girl, because I just think Greenleaf is too…not masculine? for a boy that’s not a Native American :wink:

Have you considered Greenlee? It’s very close to Greenleaf!

LOL @ “…not masculine?” That’s exactly what I was thinking. It actually never occurred to me before to use it on a girl, but then I realized that hmm, maybe it’s not very masculine. I’m not entirely sure I care though, especially if he had a masculine first.

I have thought about Greenlee, there’s a character on a soap opera named that. I’m not sure I like the way it looks, though.

[name]Christy[/name], I didn’t know Legolas’ last name was Greenleaf, that’s cool! I’m not actually a fan of LOTR, but my husband is. I agree with you that’s it too much for a first name. I like kind of out-there names but this would be way too much for me. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard [name]Greeley[/name], I kind of like it, but it takes away the imagery for me.

[name]Lemon[/name], that’s awesome! I’ve never heard of anyone having Greenleaf as a name, I’m excited about that! And I think it’s an adorable name for an a [name]Capella[/name] group. I’m glad that you like it. :slight_smile:

LOL @ “…not masculine?” That’s exactly what I was thinking. It actually never occurred to me before to use it on a girl, but then I realized that hmm, maybe it’s not very masculine. I’m not entirely sure I care though, especially if he had a masculine first.

I have thought about Greenlee, there’s a character on a soap opera named that. I’m not sure I like the way it looks, though.[/quote]

Yeah, Greenlee’s a character on “All my Children” That’s where I heard it from =) I agree it looks a bit weird (it was her mom’s maiden name, I think…)

I always thought that [name]Greene[/name] was a nice wordy boys name. I can totally see a [name]Greene[/name] [name]Leaf[/name] [name]Jones[/name] out there. Or even a [name]Greene[/name] [name]Lief[/name] [name]Jones[/name]. I think I would struggle to have a full first name Greenleaf, but if it is sentimental and makes you happy, go for it!

Interesting one. My first thought was Tolkien, and you’ll probably often get that reaction. Flowers are female, most colors are, but many nature names can be male. If it’s a little odd on a boy, it’s a lot odder on a girl.

Oh - a middle. In that case, it feels much more in place, and would even work on a girl.

[name]Chloe[/name] means “green shoot.” Pretty darn close to Greenleaf!