Gregory nn Grey?!

Is this possible?! My fathers name is [name]Gregory[/name] and I want to honor him by naming my son [name]Gregory[/name]. (I hope I am lucky enough to have a son!!) Anyway, I was thinking today that I love the name [name]Gregory[/name] and the nn [name]Greg[/name]… for a young man and for an adult. But for a baby/child, it seems a little odd to me. I’ve just recently pondered the idea of using [name]Grey[/name] as a nn for [name]Gregory[/name]! Is this a good nn or is it too crazy?? Let me know what you think!! If it works, I think I love [name]Gregory[/name] even more!!

I love it. Simple, classic and sophisticated!

It definitely works and I like it better than [name]Greg[/name].

Yes, by all means, use the nickname [name]Grey[/name] for a little boy named [name]Gregory[/name]. He can decide when he’s older if he wants to continue with [name]Grey[/name] or begin calling himself [name]Greg[/name]. I think [name]Grey[/name] is cooler than [name]Greg[/name] so it might not want to change it at all. I like [name]Gregory[/name] as well as the Scottish version of [name]Gregor[/name]. Best wishes!

I have to agree with everyone else! [name]Grey[/name] is absolutely wonderful as a nickname for [name]Gregory[/name]. Its unexpected and surprising, which is nice since [name]Gregory[/name] is a familiar name (although, not that common and utterly handsome!) Also, since [name]Gregory[/name] is also the name of your father, its nice to have a slightly different nickname in order to differentiate the two both at family gatherings and in your own mind. Good luck!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

Wow that’s an awesome idea! [name]Gregory[/name] is a family name for me as well but I’ve felt no attraction to the name b/c I don’t care for [name]Greg[/name] as a nickname. [name]Grey[/name] changes all that. Go for it!

That’s a really great idea. Great way to use a name to honor someone without sticking a child with a rather unfashionable name. I think [name]Gregory[/name] “[name]Grey[/name]” is perfect.

I’m so glad you all like it! I was worried it was one of those things that seem like a good idea until you tell someone else! This is such a relief, thanks everyone!!

I’m actually jealous of you coming up with a great modern nickname which allows you to honor your father. My dad’s named [name]Lawrence[/name] (nn [name]Larry[/name], of course) and I would love to honor him but haven’t stumbled upon a new nickname that appeals.

I agree with everyone else…it’s great!

lo–Nicknames for [name]Lawrence[/name] (other than [name]Larry[/name], which your father goes by): [name]Law[/name], [name]Wren[/name]

It took me a [name]LONG[/name] time to find it/figure it out!!

Nicknames for [name]Lawrence[/name]… I like [name]Law[/name] and [name]Wren[/name]! What about [name]Lance[/name]? [name]Lars[/name] or [name]Larz[/name]? This is a toughie!

Thanks for the suggestions. I had come up with [name]Lance[/name] which I thought was a stroke of genius but dh thought it was a terrible name. Still not sure why. He will almost always come around on these things so maybe I should talk it up some more. I also thought of [name]Wren[/name] but was concerned that it might be perceived as a girl’s name. II thought Renzi could be cute but dh’s reaction was sheer horror. I’ve also considered going the initial route a la L.T. or L. J. Oh well it makes a fine middle name which is probably where will use it.

I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. :oops:

You should definitely “talk it up” some more!! I like [name]Lance[/name], and you are so right, it is a stroke of genius!. I thought then same thing about [name]Wren[/name], but I think it could work. I also like Renzi or even [name]Renz[/name]!

Oh my gosh, I just thought of the initials L.S. - [name]Ellis[/name]! I guess you have to like the name [name]Ellis[/name]… I do! Hopefully you do too!

And btw, I’m glad you hijacked the thread, this is fun. :slight_smile: