Greta and Ophelia...and some others:)

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,
I am new to this board but have been looking for a while and am hoping you can all give some insight into my list. I already have a DD [name]Scarlett[/name] (4) and DS [name]Malcolm[/name] (2)- I also have a step-daughter named [name]Natasha[/name] (16)- DH and I are thinking about TTC (although it is taking some persuading on my part:) We talk about names all the time and have an ever evolving list. Currently, our two favourite are [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Ophelia[/name]. I would love some thoughts on both, as well as any opinions you might have on the other list names. If we were blessed with another boy, we are definite on [name]Rufus[/name] ([name]Edward[/name]) as our choice. We plan on using my mom’s name as the middle name (she is [name]Maureen[/name] [name]Anne[/name])- The list is:

1. [name]Greta[/name]- would be [name]Greta[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] or [name]Greta[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] ([name]Greta[/name] is a family name as well- my mother in laws middle name)
  2. [name]Ophelia[/name]- [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Maureen[/name]
  3. [name]Gwendolen[/name]- [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] or [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] ([name]Gwendolen[/name] is also a family name- my aunt)
  4. [name]Felicity[/name]- [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Anne[/name] (was our number 2 name with Scareltt)
  5. [name]Guinevere[/name]- [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
  6. [name]Cordelia[/name]- [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] ( my favourite but DH isn’t so keen)
  7. [name]Fleur[/name]- [name]Fleur[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Fleur[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] (DH loves but I prefer [name]Flora[/name], which he doesn’t like at all)
  8. [name]Delphine[/name]- [name]Delphine[/name] [name]Anne[/name] (we both really like but my neice is [name]Adele[/name] so think it is too close)
  9. [name]Cecily[/name]- [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] (on our list for [name]Scarlett[/name])
  10. [name]Tallulah[/name] - [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] (we both love [name]Tallulah[/name] but I worry it is a bit something…not sure)
  11. [name]Saffron[/name]- [name]Saffron[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] ( I [name]LOVE[/name] this name but feel like it might be too much colour with [name]Scarlett[/name]- also not crazy about the repeating ‘s’)
  12. [name]Maureen[/name]- [name]Maureen[/name] ? (Our last name starts with a ‘D’ so we would likely nn her [name]Maude[/name]
  13. [name]Elspeth[/name]- [name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] (nn [name]Betsy[/name]- love [name]Betsy[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] but think it might cause some pronunciation issues)

Sorry for the very long list/post but I would love your thoughts on these names- and would really like to know which names you think work best for us.

Cheers!

[name]Welcome[/name] to Nameberry! I just have a minute, so I’ll have to make this quick, but I’m sure you’ll get some great thoughts and input from the other berries. :wink:

My absolute favorite from your list is [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Maureen[/name]! [name]Lovely[/name] name, and at the very top of our list! We’re trying to decide between [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Coralie[/name]. From your list I also like [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Maureen[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Maureen[/name].
[name]Hope[/name] that’s helpful! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I have a [name]Scarlett[/name] too! Mine is 8. It’s a great name

Of your names, my favorites are your #1-4. [name]Greta[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name], and [name]Felicity[/name]. [name]Felicity[/name] is one of my favorite names. We almost named our [name]Scarlett[/name] that too! :slight_smile:

1. [name]Greta[/name]- would be [name]Greta[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] or [name]Greta[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] – I love both options!
  2. [name]Ophelia[/name]- [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] - I really love the name [name]Ophelia[/name]. My DH isn’t keen on it, so I don’t know if I’ll ever get to use it.
  3. [name]Gwendolen[/name]- [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] or [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] - I’m pregnant with twins and planning to name one [name]Gwendolen[/name]. So, I think it goes very well with [name]Scarlett[/name]. I like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] better of the two options.
  4. [name]Felicity[/name]- [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Anne[/name] - Really pretty
  5. [name]Guinevere[/name]- [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Anne[/name] - I like [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] better than [name]Guinever[/name] personally.
  6. [name]Cordelia[/name]- [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] - Oh I love [name]Cordelia[/name] too! maybe I should have read the entire list before saying I liked 1-4 best!? Our last name starts w/ a C so this name sounds a bit silly with it, but it’s definitely one of my favs.
  7. [name]Fleur[/name]- [name]Fleur[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Fleur[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] - I don’t care for this name.I feel like it has a bit of a different feel than [name]Scarlett[/name] too
  8. [name]Delphine[/name]- [name]Delphine[/name] [name]Anne[/name] - I don’t think [name]Adele[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name] are all that close. It’s not my favorite name from your list though.
  9. [name]Cecily[/name]- [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] - [name]Cecily[/name] is a popular name on this board. It’s kinda growing on me, but I’m not completely in love with it.
  10. [name]Tallulah[/name] - [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] - It’s not really my style. It is a bit “something” I agree, but I don’t know how to word it either! I also feel like it doesn’t sound like a fun/spunky/sassy name like [name]Scarlett[/name]
  11. [name]Saffron[/name]- [name]Saffron[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] – that is a fun name! I agree with you, repeating the S and it being so close to [name]Scarlett[/name] might be a problem. I don’t mind it though if it’s a name you really love!
  12. [name]Maureen[/name]- [name]Maureen[/name] ? - [name]Maureen[/name] is ok, I think you have other fun names though and maybe save it for a middle instead?
  13. [name]Elspeth[/name]- [name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] - honestly, I like this name alot. It’s a name I sometimes think about just randomly. I like the old fashion-ness about it! My little sis is [name]Elizabeth[/name] though so I probably will never use it.
  1. [name]Greta[/name]- love it. Think of [name]Garbo[/name].
  2. [name]Gwendolen[/name]- Ummm…very middle ages.
  3. [name]Felicity[/name]- Ummm … again middle ages to me.
  4. [name]Guinevere[/name] - again middle ages. you seem to go for that!
  5. [name]Cordelia[/name]- Now I think you are into Dungeons and Dragons.
  6. [name]Fleur[/name]- I prefer [name]Flora[/name] too.
  7. [name]Delphine[/name]- Ohhh - travelling deeper back in time. To the Greek empire now.
  8. [name]Cecily[/name]- A bit prissy I think.
  9. [name]Tallulah[/name] - I am sorry this is one of my least favourite names. Is it [name]Maisy[/name] Mouse that ruins it for me?
  10. [name]Saffron[/name]- Something you eat.
  11. [name]Maureen[/name]- [name]Maureen[/name] ? I like [name]Maude[/name] much more. Be brave.
  12. [name]Elspeth[/name]- I love [name]Betsy[/name] but not [name]Elspeth[/name]. [name]Just[/name] call her [name]Betsy[/name]. Who needs a longer name?

My brutal (but humble) opinions.

Thanks for the replies- very apprciated:)

cruncymama- I have seen a few of your posts and wanted to mention how much I love [name]Mirabel[/name]/[name]Mirabelle[/name] for you- it was on my list when I was pregnant with my son and was actually our choice if he had been a she- I [name]LOVE[/name] it- we were considering it and thought of calling her [name]Plum[/name] as cute nickname (in referency to [name]Mirabelle[/name] Plums:)- Of all of your choices, I think [name]Mirabelle[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] are fantastic and work perfectly with [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]- a really gorgeous mix of names- [name]Just[/name] in case, I think you were looking for some others for [name]Mirabelle[/name]- I think [name]Felicity[/name] works great- also love [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Eulalie[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], and [name]Adelaide[/name].

1. [name]Greta[/name] – [name]Lovely[/name]! I don’t see why so many people dislike [name]Gretchen[/name] and the like, personally. I think [name]Greta[/name]'s strong but still somehow manages to have an almost vulnerable feel, and I think it just shows a lot of spunk and self-esteem, like a certain power about it but an almost childishness. [name]Greta[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] is gorgeous. [name]Love[/name] the combo so much!
  2. [name]Ophelia[/name] – This has to be my all-time favorite name, aside from Belphoebe. It’s gorgeous and reminds me of the tragic [name]Ophelia[/name], and I honestly love that about it. [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] is nice, though I’m not a big fan of [name]Maureen[/name] as a whole.
  3. [name]Gwendolen[/name] – I adore [name]Gwendolen[/name]; especially this spelling! ^-^ [name]Gwendolen[/name] is very strong but still very feminine to me, and that’s a lovely mix. [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name] is beautiful, and I love [name]Anne[/name] (mostly in the first name spot, but this is lovely!).
  4. [name]Felicity[/name] – Not a big fan of [name]Felicity[/name], sorry. It’s just not really my style, and I feel like I see it too often. [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Anne[/name] is all right, but again, I just don’t really like [name]Felicity[/name].
  5. [name]Guinevere[/name] – [name]Guinevere[/name], however, is breathtaking! I love it so, so much. [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Anne[/name] is beautiful. <3
  6. [name]Cordelia[/name] – I love [name]Cordelia[/name] after reading about the [name]Cordelia[/name] in “Brideshead Revisited”. She was spunky, quirky, fun and seemed to really make her own way in life. I loved that about her, and the name has all those qualities to me. I do prefer [name]Cornelia[/name], but I still absolutely love [name]Cordelia[/name]. [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] is nice.
  7. [name]Fleur[/name] – I love [name]Fleur[/name]! I think it’s quirky and really fun. I love [name]Flora[/name] as well. You might like [name]Florence[/name], or some others? I like [name]Fleur[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Anne[/name]!
  8. [name]Delphine[/name] – [name]Delphine[/name] is so, so lovely. I like [name]Delphine[/name] [name]Anne[/name] a lot… It does feel rather close to [name]Adele[/name], but I wouldn’t give up on it yet. [name]Delphine[/name] [name]Anne[/name] is beautiful.
  9. [name]Cecily[/name] – I adore [name]Cecily[/name]! So cute and spunky. So gorgeous. [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] are both beautiful.
  10. [name]Tallulah[/name] – [name]Tallulah[/name] is so cute! It’s not a favorite, but I still think it’s so cute. [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Anne[/name] is darling, and [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] is pretty as well.
  11. [name]Saffron[/name] – I love [name]Saffron[/name]! It reminds me of [name]Saffron[/name] [name]Burrows[/name], who is a beautiful actress and model. <3 [name]Saffron[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] is, again, nice.
  12. [name]Maureen[/name] – I love [name]Maude[/name]! <3 I don’t like [name]Maureen[/name] much - as I mentioned - but it’s certainly not awful. (:
  13. [name]Elspeth[/name] – [name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Elspeth[/name] so much. The nickname [name]Betsy[/name] is cute. ^-^ I don’t think it’ll be a problem, as far as pronunciation goes… hum. [name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Maureen[/name] is okay.

[name]Greta[/name]: I really like [name]Greta[/name], but I prefer it as a nickname for [name]Margaret[/name]. It’s nice with [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Malcolm[/name], though.

[name]Ophelia[/name]: I love [name]Ophelia[/name], but I just don’t think it’s usable. It is a pretty name, though.

[name]Gwendolen[/name]: I’ve never been a fan of [name]Gwendolen[/name]. It just doesn’t have a pretty sound to me. There’s nothing really wrong with it, though, and it goes well with [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Malcolm[/name].

[name]Felicity[/name]: [name]Felicity[/name] is another perfectly nice name that just isn’t my favorite. It’s very nice with [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Malcolm[/name].

[name]Guinevere[/name]: I really like it, but just like [name]Ophelia[/name], it’s [name]WAY[/name] over the top. It really overshadows [name]Scarlett[/name], too.

[name]Cordelia[/name]: [name]Cordelia[/name] is one of my favorite names! I’m debating its usability, though-- it’s a lot of name.

[name]Fleur[/name]: I much prefer [name]Flora[/name]. I don’t know if [name]Fleur[/name] is used as a name in French speaking places, either. It seems silly. [name]Flora[/name] is great, though.

[name]Delphine[/name]: I love [name]Delphine[/name]! It’s pretty close to [name]Adele[/name] (which I also love), though. [name]How[/name] often do you see her?

[name]Cecily[/name]: [name]Cecily[/name] is lovely! I really like [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Anne[/name].

[name]Tallulah[/name]: I’ve never liked [name]Tallulah[/name]. It seems silly, and not namelike.

[name]Saffron[/name]: I really like [name]Saffron[/name], but it’s way too matchy with [name]Scarlett[/name]. Save it for a pet or something.

[name]Maureen[/name]: Ooh, [name]Maureen[/name] nicknamed [name]Maude[/name]-- I like it. [name]Maureen[/name] seems a little middle-aged, though.

[name]Elspeth[/name]: [name]Elspeth[/name] is nice, but I’m not a huge fan. [name]Betsy[/name] is very cute. I can’t see how there would be any pronunciation problems.

My favorites are [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Delphine[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name], but most of them are lovely and you can’t really go wrong. Good luck! :slight_smile:

aww thank you! I think i’ve settled on [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Mirabelle[/name] (and I love the plum nn idea! too cute). My DH isn’t 100%, but I’ll eventually convince him. He’s a little more conservative on names and feels like [name]Mirabelle[/name] might scream for too much attention.