Greta Vs. Margo

Alright guys. I have obviously been thinking about names a lot lately, so I wanted to see what you’re take on [name_f]Greta[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is. They are both variations on the name [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (which is a name that I do not love, oddly enough) - [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is [name_m]German[/name_m] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is [name_m]French[/name_m].

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] has a cute, spunky, and a retro glam to it.
[name_f]Margo[/name_f] is sophisticated, streamlined, and classy.

I know that [name_f]Margo[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] are pronounced the same, though I don’t care for that T at the end (and I just know someone is going to look at the name and say [name_f]Mar[/name_f]-Got).

I have really begun to love both of these names, and I feel that both of them are under-appreciated. What do you think? Have you ever thought about [name_f]Margo[/name_f] or [name_f]Greta[/name_f]? I myself love both of these names, though AT THIS MOMENT I’m liking [name_f]Margo[/name_f] just a little bit more.

Great, classic choices either way! I am partial to more [name_m]German[/name_m] names AND I like the feminine sounding -a ending, so my vote whole-heartedly goes to [name_f]Greta[/name_f] :slight_smile: I have considered it for a girl because I think it goes well with our very [name_m]German[/name_m]-named little boy, but surprisingly my DH doesn’t like it.

They are both great, but I prefer [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. It seems like it fits every age a little better than [name_f]Greta[/name_f] does, and it has a certain charm.

@ meyera4 - Hm, now that I think about it [name_f]Greta[/name_f] does have a bit more of a feminine edge to it than [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. That is something else to add to the positives of [name_f]Greta[/name_f].

BTW, I love all the names in your sig!

I love both. But I think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is fresher at the moment. [name_f]Margo/name_f seems to be super on-trend. I know of a couple recently born, and there have been at least 5 nameberry birth announcements in the last couple months. Not that I have any problem with popular or even trendy names myself… but since you love both, I think [name_f]Greta[/name_f]'s originality gives her the edge.

Also with [name_f]Marlo[/name_f], [name_u]Marlow[/name_u], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], and [name_f]Harlow[/name_f] all becoming popular I was afraid that [name_f]Margo[/name_f] would just get lost in a similar sounding crowd. Though [name_f]Margo[/name_f] just has a great sophistication to it, [name_f]Greta[/name_f] has an edge as that no other popular/trendy name sounds like [name_f]Greta[/name_f] right now.

[name_f]Margo[/name_f], for sure. I hate [name_f]Greta[/name_f] with a passion. It’s old fashioned, where I’m from, harsh (Grrrrrr, like you’re growling) and just plain unappealing to me. Doesn’t help that I’ve never met a nice [name_f]Greta[/name_f], and they’re all like at least 60. I also never got what people saw in [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f], well no one did where I’m from, but apparently it was a thing elsewhere. [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is sweet and sympa as the [name_m]French[/name_m] would say, and a timeless classic.

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is okay but I don’t like that there are so many spelling variations, and it does seem a little too on trend at the moment.
I adore [name_f]Greta[/name_f]- Very Retro glam and classic. It wears well on a little girl and a woman.

Both are stunning names but in the end i would choose [name_f]Margo[/name_f] .

Both are beautiful, but I prefer [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is too spunky for my tastes.

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] is great, but it seems more exotic. I probably wouldn’t have considered [name_f]Greta[/name_f] a few years ago. It didn’t seem right for a [name_u]North[/name_u] American girl.
[name_f]Margo[/name_f] is cute. It’s a tough choice. [name_f]Margo[/name_f]/[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is just getting noticed, and for that reason, I chose [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. It isn’t as popular.

I love these names! [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f] are such great sibling names!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Greta[/name_f]! We were set to use it if DS were a girl, but no… and now that I’m expecting a girl, DH doesn’t like [name_f]Greta[/name_f]!

I love both [name_f]Margo[/name_f] and [name_f]Greta[/name_f] but for the reasons you stated I think that [name_f]Margo[/name_f] will fit the best.

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear all the opinions. While I know [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is just getting noticed I really don’t think it is trendy, I checked and only a little over 100 babies born last year were named [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. I know -O names are getting popular, but I think it’s far away from trending. I hear [name_f]Margo[/name_f] and think sleek and sophisticated.

I understand some people not liking the Gr- starting in [name_f]Greta[/name_f], but I do feel that the name is zippy, sophisticated, and has that retro glam tie to [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Garbo[/name_f]. The only hold back is the last name also ending in -eta, which makes the name combo a bit rhymie. Also I agree with the person who never got the name [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f], I have never understood that name either. I’ve heard of Gretchens making appearances on a few TV shows that I’ve watched and I just cringe, it’s doesn’t sound pretty at all.

I like how both of these names are a variation of the same name, yet are so different from each-other and are beautiful in their own right. The “pearl” meaning certainly helps as well.

Keep your opinions coming, guys.

I don’t like the name [name_f]Greta[/name_f], but [name_f]Margo[/name_f] I love.

I prefer [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. As a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], I always disliked the “marg” sound in my name (hence why I go by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]). It’s grown on me, and I do like [name_f]Margo[/name_f], but I still prefer [name_f]Greta[/name_f] by far.

Wow I had no idea [name_f]Margo[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] were so rare! I would have guessed low hundreds. She’s been in my top 10 for 2 yrs and somehow I missed that. Anyway, after reading that the last name ends in -eta, I change my vote to [name_f]Margo[/name_f]!

I waaaay prefer [name_f]Greta[/name_f]! Also, it’s a rearrangment of the word Great - which I like. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is so lovely!

[name_f]Margo[/name_f] is one of my top 5 names!I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Margo[/name_f] much. Such a beautiful perfect name.