Gretel?

WDYT of the name [name]Gretel[/name]? I’m not using I just thought it was kinda pretty!

I don’t particularly think of it as pretty (this coming from the person who loves Ermengarde), but it is nice, cute because of the fairytale association and quite individual and sassy.
Actually, as I’ve been typing this it’s grown on me!
I think I’m just not fond of it because I’m not keen on ‘G’ names, personally.

Hmm, I am a bit indecisive about it. I neither love it nor hate it. [name]Love[/name] [name]Gretchen[/name], though!

I mentioned before regarding [name]Greta[/name] (think it was in games section, though), I knew someone named Gretelise, that appears to be the “usual” spelling, although I think hers had a hyphen, [name]Grete[/name]-[name]Lise[/name], [name]Grete[/name]-[name]Liese[/name] maybe, that’d be some sort of [name]German[/name] for [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name], all in one name. It sounds nicer than it looks in English. She went by [name]Greta[/name] anyway.

I think [name]Gretel[/name] is one of those, it’s pretty, there’s that story where they burn the witch who lives in the candy house after being sent to starve in the woods by their parents. In English, it sounds a lot like ‘griddle,’ or even ‘girdle.’ I wouldn’t. [name]Greta[/name] is still ok by me, even if kids did call her Griddle sometimes. I would teach her to be feisty. [name]Liesl[/name] is also kind of interesting.

I really like this site, it’ll tell you [name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Liesl[/name] are still stuck in the Alps with [name]Heidi[/name], but not [name]Gretel[/name] - but also that [name]Heidi[/name] is short for [name]Adelheid[/name], or what name has become more often suggested lately, [name]Adelaide[/name]. “[name]Noble[/name] of Birth,” and that [name]Elke[/name] is another nickname of [name]Adelheid[/name].

I think [name]Gretel[/name] is cute, and it understandably reminds me of The Sound of [name]Music[/name]. I think it would be a sweet nickname for [name]Margaret[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Greta[/name] a lot more than [name]Gretel[/name]. To me, [name]Gretel[/name] is a name that kind of puts you in a box. It’s hard to ever get away from the character in the story. Also when you meet people, some of them are going to say, “Hey [name]Gretel[/name], where’s [name]Hansel[/name]?” I would get really tired of that. I agree with [name]Jill[/name] that [name]Margaret[/name] is a wonderful full name, but I like the nn [name]Greta[/name]. Also like [name]Gretchen[/name] as a nn for [name]Margaret[/name]. But my fave nn for [name]Margaret[/name] is [name]Maisie[/name].