Guilty Pleasure Boys Names - Poll

See the results of this poll: Which name would work best in the ‘real world’?

Respondents: 30 (This poll is closed)

• Duke: 9 (30%)
  • Karch: 1 (3%)
  • Laird: 6 (20%)
  • Sinjin: 3 (10%)
  • Thor: 11 (37%)
  • Wahoo: 0 (0%)

[name]How[/name] some full names might look:
[name]Duke[/name] [name]Raymond[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Sinjin[/name] [name]Ray[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Laird[/name] [name]Charles[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name] [name]Laird[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Thor[/name] [name]Leopold[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
Karch [name]Henry[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
Wahoo [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

[name]Thor[/name] is the one I could most easily see in the real world. I like [name]Sinjin[/name] spelled [name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name] but I’ve never heard of a person outside of [name]England[/name] with that name.

[name]Sinjin[/name] [name]Smith[/name] - [name]Beach[/name] Volleyball champion and actor. Unfortunately, [name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name] doesn’t really work with our last name. [name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name] [name]Johnson[/name].

I voted for [name]Thor[/name] but I think you could also get away with [name]Duke[/name]. But [name]Duke[/name] sounds like a dog name to me. Any of these names would work as middle names with a more “normal” first name.

[name]Hi[/name], again!

[name]Duke[/name] - Well, this reminds me of [name]Duke[/name] [name]Ellington[/name], [name]Marmaduke[/name], and dukes in general. However, I know far too many dogs named [name]Duke[/name], so maybe this should stay as a nickname?

Karch - Karch reminds me of lurch and perch, and it just doesn’t look attractive to me. Sorry!

[name]Laird[/name] - I know this isn’t how it is pronounced, but I can’t get past lard (or lair) when I look at this. Not a good connection.

[name]Sinjin[/name] - Wasn’t this going to be a potential middle name at one point? There is something about this that just makes me think of someone “sinning with gin,” so that kind of rubs me the wrong way…

[name]Thor[/name] - Yeah, [name]Thor[/name] is out-there, for sure, but I like it. It is interesting and cool, and I don’t see it as being too different from [name]Axel[/name] or [name]Rex[/name], to an extent.

Wahoo - No, on SO many levels. This just reminds me of Yahoo! or someone going over a huge hill on a rollercoaster and screaming, “Wahoo!” Where did you come up with this as a name? I just have to ask. I’m sorry.

Okay, so I think [name]Thor[/name] is your best bet! Good luck, and sorry for the harsh words!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks for the analysis [name]Lemon[/name]. I know some of these are out there but I want to cross off every possible idea. Here’s where they each come from:

[name]Duke[/name] - I’m thinking more of the Hawaiian roots for this name. Specifically, [name]Duke[/name] Kahanamoku.

Karch - Karch Kiraly is possibly the best volleyball player of all time. Three Olympic gold medals.

[name]Laird[/name] - [name]Laird[/name] [name]Hamilton[/name], the extreme sport and surfing great.

[name]Sinjin[/name] - [name]Sinjin[/name] [name]Smith[/name], volleyball again - the best beach player ever.

[name]Thor[/name] - [name]Thor[/name] Hushovd and Heyerdahl. My Norwegian heritage.

Wahoo - your favorite! Chief Wahoo McDaniel was a NFL football player and professional wrestler. And I spent a lot of time fishing for Wahoo (the fish) as a kid. This was the most out there name I could think of :slight_smile:

NorseDad,

You crack me up! I think Wahoo is one of the funniest names I’ve seen on here in a long time, and please don’t take that the wrong way. I like the idea and significance behind each of your names, but I just don’t know if they’ll pass in the “real world” very well. It’s a tough call, but please, no Wahoo.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

My great grandfather was named [name]Marmaduke[/name] nn [name]Duke[/name]. My great uncle’s name was [name]Duke[/name]. I think they loved being named [name]Duke[/name]. [name]Duke[/name] is cool.

I think [name]Thor[/name] and [name]Duke[/name] work well in the “real world.”
As for middle names I think of nice classic names:

[name]Charles[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name]

I think most of your names would work in the “real world” with the exception of Wahoo. I have an uncle named [name]Thor[/name] and I don’t think he gets a hard time about it at all. [name]Laird[/name] [name]Hamilton[/name] is just a great namesake. Those are my two personal favorites.