Gwen v. Gwendolyn and a middle name question

We are due in [name]January[/name] and don’t find out the gender for another month. I have about 5 different boy names that I really love, so I know there won’t be much difficulty if we have a boy… But a girl is going to be harder.

[name]Do[/name] you prefer [name]Gwen[/name] or [name]Gwendolyn[/name]? I love the name [name]Gwen[/name] and dh likes [name]Gwendolyn[/name] a lot. I can’t wrap my head around using the full name [name]Gwendolyn[/name] on a daily basis though for some reason (my name is [name]Victoria[/name], so I am use to a longer name).

Then for a middle. My maiden name is [name]Gray[/name] and I wanted to use it as a middle for a boy or girl. Is [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Gray[/name]/[name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Gray[/name] a bit much with the G’s? For our last name, think [name]Robinson[/name]. I feel like [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Gray[/name] sounds like someone in a comic book… which dh would probably like, lol ([name]Gwen[/name] [name]Stacy[/name] mixed with [name]Jean[/name] [name]Grey[/name]).

I love [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Gray[/name] actually, it’s very pretty! A nice mix of beauty and spunk [name]IMO[/name]. I prefer spelling it [name]Gwendolen[/name] rather than [name]Gwendolyn[/name] though.

I agree with Svea about [name]Gwendolen[/name] spelled without the y. Looks smoother.

I like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Gray[/name] as a full name, [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Gray[/name] doesn’t bother me as a nickname to be referred to by but [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Gray[/name] scans better, rhythm-wise.

I’m currently infatuated with [name]Gwyneira[/name] for its fairy tale type effect but I think [name]Gwendolen[/name] is probably easier for some people to manage.

[name]Gwen[/name] is quite cute as a nickname, I don’t mind it as a FN either, but I don’t tend to prefer 1 syllable FNs with 1 syllable LNs.

I actually love alliteration, so the matched G’s don’t turn me off at all.

I also prefer [name]Gwendolen[/name], and even [name]Gwyneira[/name]. I don’t mind [name]Gray[/name] in the middle.

I really like [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Gray[/name]! The fact that [name]Gray[/name] is your maiden name far outweighs any sound or flow issues in my mind. The alliteration makes the name more intriguing.

Why not use [name]Gwendolyn[/name] and call her [name]Gwen[/name]? Problem solved.

My name is [name]Gwendolyn[/name], but I go by [name]Gwen[/name], so I feel perfectly positioned to answer this one!

Personally, I dislike my full name because it just doesn’t feel like me. I’m okay with the sound, meaning, spelling and everything, but it’s not what I would have named myself. The only real perk is that I sometimes encounter my name in Victorian literature (like The Importance of Being [name]Earnest[/name] and [name]Daniel[/name] Deronda) which is kind of fun.

[name]Gwen[/name], on the other hand, totally feels like me! It’s unusual without being weird or made-up, simple but pleasant sounding, down-to-earth but a bit exotic…definitely a good choice.

I definitely think that [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Gray[/name] sounds better than [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Gray[/name], though. I’d say go for [name]Gwendolyn[/name] with nn [name]Gwen[/name]. It’s worked for me!

(point of interest: my mn is [name]Beth[/name].)

My friend’s 3-year-old niece is [name]Gwendolynn[/name] [name]Anne[/name], nn [name]Gwen[/name], also with a long last name. [name]Anne[/name] is a family name, and the -lynn goes with her much older sister [name]Roslynn[/name]. She’s the cutest, most outgoing little girl I’ve ever met.

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]/[name]Gwendolen[/name]/[name]Gwendolynn[/name] is such a great name! And perfectly underused.

I prefer [name]Gwendolyn[/name] both on it’s own and with [name]Gray[/name]. I think [name]Gwendolyn[/name] Is a stunning name and [name]Gray[/name] is very spunky in the middle.

I think GG (gee-gee ^_^) would be an adorable nickname for a [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Gray[/name].

I like both but I would use [name]Gwendolyn[/name]. You can still call her [name]Gwen[/name], but she will have more options when shes older. Plus - [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Grey[/name] sounds nice. The alliteration here is not overwhelming. I just think using [name]Gwendolyn[/name] gives you the best of both worlds.

I’d give her the name [name]Gwendolyn[/name], then use [name]Gwen[/name] as a nickname. [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Grey[/name] is a lovely name! [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Grey[/name] is just a bit choppy.

I also would go with [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Gray[/name] [name]Robinson[/name] (my LN too :slight_smile: ) nn [name]Gwen[/name].

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] is so so beautiful. I prefer it to just [name]Gwen[/name] as a full name.

I really like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Gray[/name] “[name]Robinson[/name].” As jroflo mentioned, [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Grey[/name] is a little too choppy - though if you really prefer [name]Gwen[/name], I don’t think the choppiness is that big a deal, since middle names aren’t used too often. If you go with [name]Gwendolen[/name] I hope you will consider using the original -en ending. That’s the spelling [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde used in The Importance of Being [name]Earnest[/name]. I’ve heard that -yn is typically used for boys’ names in Welsh, and -en would be for a girl.

I like the alliteration of [name]Gwendolyn[/name]/[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Gray[/name]. I also think using [name]Gwen[/name] as a nickname strikes the balance between your preference and your husband’s.