Gwen + ???

We are fairly certain that [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] is our front runner for a girl’s name - it’s been near the top of the list the whole time, love that it’s short and sweet, feminine but strong, it fits with our other family member’s names, etc.

A few things though…

We are wondering if [name_u]Owen[/name_u] (big brother) and [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] are too similar in spelling. It was a slight bother for me at first, but I got over it because it’s really a non-issue pronunciation-wise. Then hubs recently mentioned that seeing the names written together might be slightly bothersome for him, which now has me second guessing if we should go back to the drawing table. I’d rather not, considering this has been a hard name to shake for this entire pregnancy and it just feels right for our girl option. What are your thoughts on this spelling similarity with big brother? It was totally unintentional and just a coincidence with the names we like, but I am not sure I’m willing to go with an alternate spelling like [name_u]Gwyn[/name_u] though.

We briefly had the name [name_f]Gwenna[/name_f] come up, which might help with the above-mentioned issue. We also feel [name_f]Gwenna[/name_f] might be easier for pairing with a middle name. However, we are both questioning why we would even bother with giving a name that will likely never be used since we will ultimately just call her [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]. [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Gwenyth[/name_f] etc. aren’t really options for us either.

The other concern is the trouble we are having with pairing a middle name - [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] is HARD to pair! We have very limited options for family names we are willing to use as a middle with ANY name, let alone something that might work with [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]. [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] is the only family option that we feel will work. Other general middle names we have tossed around that we like and could work with [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] are [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Laurel[/name_f], or [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], but nothing is really jumping out as a great combo. Hoping for something a bit less predictable than the standard traditional middles like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f] etc., as well as something a bit longer (maybe 3 syllables?) to balance the short 1-syllable [name_f]Gwen[/name_f].

FYI, big brother is [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (maiden name), and our top choice for a boy name for this one is [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] (for a little insight into what style we lean toward). Mum is [name_u]Caley[/name_u], Dad is [name_m]Ben[/name_m], and surname begins with a hard K and ends with N (not super into alliterative names). Not opposed to A-middle names, but would prefer to avoid initials GAK for personal reasons (unless of course the name just works!) :slight_smile:

So berries, I would love some opinions on these concerns/thoughts on the name as well as ANYTHING you’ve got for middle pairing that could work and is a little different than the usual suspects.

I have been thru this exact debate myself. I have an [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and at one point [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] was at the top of my girls list (as was [name_u]Wren[/name_u]). I agree pronunciation is not a problem at all, but on paper they are SO similar. When I posted about this, I had a couple responses from people who thought it would be cute, but mostly people thought they were way too close.
It was also pointed out to me that they could easily be mistaken with anything handwritten… which might include prescriptions and potentially other serious scenarios. Not something I would have thought of, but worth considering.

For me I actually love [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] with the potential nickname [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], so I kept it on my list in that form. But I ruled out [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]/[name_u]Wren[/name_u] alone as a first.

That said, I still love both and if you are comfortable with it, I say go for it! I think [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] work, but I would avoid third name ending in n in the middle ([name_f]Catherine[/name_f]).

[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]

I definitely don’t think it is a deal breaker. If they were as similar sounding as they are in writing, I would say no. I think this really comes down to whether it will bother you. Personally, it would bother me I think. But if I could not find a name I liked as much, I would probably accept the similarity and use it anyway.

Thanks! I hadn’t considered possible issues with prescriptions, etc. Honestly, with so much being electronic vs. handwritten these days, and needing to present a (scannable) Health Care card for all prescriptions and appointments where we live, I don’t see it being much of an issue, but still an interesting point and something to be aware of nonetheless. Perhaps having the legal name as something different like [name_f]Gwenna[/name_f] would help to offset that sort of thing a bit more. I guess I just need someone to help me see a legit reason for giving a long-form name that we have no intention of using. I’m a person that needs to rationalize, and these sorts of things need to have a point in my crazy little mind LOL!

I wouldn’t say the similarity is a deal-breaker, especially if the other names just don’t sit with us in the same way. But I can’t shake (right now) the thought that maybe it is more noticeable than we originally though, and maybe that’s strange?

I think that [name_f]Gwenna[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is an adorable name that would suit a little sis of an [name_u]Owen[/name_u] well.

If you will never use the longer name [name_f]Gwenna[/name_f] and don’t feel the need to have longer more formal name, then I can’t think of a good reason to use [name_f]Gwenna[/name_f] as opposed to [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]. If I met siblings [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] I would think they were a cute pair. If I saw them in writing I might pause but only because I never realized how much more similar they are (with three letters in common) than they sound. I personally love longer forms of [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] ([name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] & [name_f]Gwenyth[/name_f]) so would probably use a long form and call her [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]. But if you don’t like any long form as much as you like [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], name her [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]. She will always have her middle name if for some reason (which I highly doubt) she goes through a phase of thinking they are too similar. As for middle names, I really like but don’t love [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I like the suggestions of [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] & [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. I do think 3 syllable names tend to work best. Some I like:

[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Estella[/name_f]/[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Annalise[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]

These could work:
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Theadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]

Oh and also, the matchiness of [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] only becomes a potential problem if you have more children and feel you have to match. Ending up with a restrictive theme can be stressful.

I think they are way too close. Plus, there is the issue of setting a name trend that you can’t continue as someone else mentioned.

It’s not something I would go for because I would feel kind of lazy in a way? I’m not sure how to explain it. As if I couldn’t come up with anything else, I guess. It would really bother me.

But if you are set on [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] and nothing else is really popping out at you…ultimately it’s your choice. It’s not the worst thing in the world.