Gwenhwyfar?

This is an older form of the name [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. Despite the spelling issues it would cause, I think it’s pretty and a fresher way to get to nn [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] than [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f].

Or should I just stick with [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]?

I love it but it needs to stay in [name_m]Wales[/name_m] because a Gwenhwyfar anywhere else will get mispronounced. Most people will not expect Gwen hwee var.

I think [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] is definitely the way to go for less used variants!

[name_f]Gwenda[/name_f] and Gwennan are slightly easier to pronounce Welsh names that will take you to [name_f]Gwen[/name_f].

3 Likes

Just stick with [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. This would he very difficult for your daughter to live with.

I tried to pronounce this from the title alone before reading your post and…it did not go well :laughing: If you like [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], there are other options that would be easier to spell.

Lovely, but very difficult outside of [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. I’d stick with [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], or [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] (what I thought it was after reading the title, but before reading your post).

I do think it’s a lovely name, but unless you live in [name_m]Wales[/name_m], it would difficult to wear because of endless mispronunciations.

I would recommend [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] or [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]/Gwendolyn instead.

Looks like [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] highway far to me :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Outside of [name_m]Wales[/name_m] this name will definitely cause constant spelling/pron issues, so I would stick with [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]/Gwendolyn/Guinevere as suggested above.

Outside of [name_m]Wales[/name_m] on someone not Welsh I could really only endorse this one as a middle name I think.
I find [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] still very useable, maybe less so the -yn variation, and [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] and [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] aren’t so commonly used as to feel tired.

[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]/ [name_f]Ginnifer[/name_f] is a lovely name as-is that has maintained a familiar level popularity for a long time. It’s been in the top 1000 in the US for over 80 years but it’s also well outside of the top 100 now (but withing the top 500,) meaning it’s not oversaturated.

1 Like

This one only works in [name_m]Wales[/name_m], I’m afraid.

I would just do [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] on it’s own. [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is my favorite long form!

1 Like

Love it but as others have said, it would be tricky outside of [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. As a middle, I’d say go for it. As a first, stick with [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] -sorry!

[name_f]Ginnifer[/name_f] is a wonderful alternative, I think - I find it more exciting than [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]!

Gwenhwyfar is beautiful but unfortunately agree that it’s not usable as a first name outside of [name_m]Wales[/name_m].

Ooh, love it! I adore how it looks, has a cool fantasy feel.

Probably not the most usable name and in real life I’d stick with [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], but we don’t have to use all the names we like, do we 🤷

1 Like

I grew up in Atlantic [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and knew a girl with I think this name - I say “I think” because her family pronounced it GWIN-ih-far, same rhythm as [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], and I don’t remember how it was spelled. As she grew up she just went by [name_u]Gwyn[/name_u].

To me, [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] is very, very dated and would look out of place on a present-day baby. I would be much happier to see Gwynhyfar/Gwenhwyfar or [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]/Gwendolen or just [name_f]Gwen[/name_f].