Gwenllian?

I am in absolute shock, but I had never heard this name until today. I’ve been obsessed with the name [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] since I was probably ten or eleven years old, and I have never heard this “long form.”

[name_f]Gwenllian[/name_f] was an ancient Welsh princess (a couple different Welsh princesses, actually). As a history nerd, I’m appalled at myself for not knowing this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, all gasping aside … useable? At all? As a first or a middle? [name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce it? (close as I can tell, it’s “gwen-lee-en”)

Sidenote: I’ve posted a lot lately, but I’ve been on vacation. :wink: They’re dragging me back soon, so I’ll leave y’all in peace.

That’s how I would pronounce it also! I love the history behind it, and the nn [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] makes it totally usable! What a unique choice!

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking … she can go by [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], or a mn, so I’m not torturing the poor child - and the history makes it pretty legit! Plus it’s not an unpronounceable Welsh name. :stuck_out_tongue: [name_m]Just[/name_m] a Welsh name! And I am a little Welsh, soooo?

1 Like

Gwenllian is GORGEOUS! I just want to point out that “LL” in Welsh doesn’t make an “L” sound. It’s closer to [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]-key-an, but that’s not exactly right either. Beautiful name though!

3 Likes

I don’t think using a name with the ll sound is a good idea if you don’t live in [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. It’s not a sound that exists in [name_f]English[/name_f]. I do like the name, but probably not the best choice.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d probably have to Americanize it a bit in pronunciation for anyone but family. I’ve been listening to pronunciation guides for a bit now, and it might take a bit of time to get done. Yet I’m the kind of person who thinks that names can be pronounced any old way by anyone who doesn’t know you super well. :wink:

It just doesn’t make sense to be picky (especially if you do something like name your child [name_f]Gwenllian[/name_f] while living in [name_u]America[/name_u] … or [name_f]Ayleen[/name_f] pronounced I-leen … or anything pronounced correctly in [name_u]French[/name_u]. Though I still feel bad that I keep accidentally mispronouncing [name_f]Sonja[/name_f] – she pronounces it different than normal, and is very forgiving of me.)

One pronunciation guide suggested that the Welsh “Ll” is rather the same sound made by saying “clam” or “please” very softly and slowly and emphatically … a kind of H and L mixed together (GWYBODIADUR: the dreaded LL sound). Which is different from what others are saying and not very difficult to do at all. The lack of difficulty makes me heavily suspicious. :stuck_out_tongue: [name_f]Wonder[/name_f] if it’s for other “Ll” words. Anyways, I’d have to do a lot more research. But I do have time!

1 Like

It’s pronounced (and I know this for a fact, I’m welsh) I’ll spell it more or less phonetically because the noise of ll isn’t one you get in [name_f]English[/name_f], it’s pronounced [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]-chli-an, but it’s not really chli it’s just that you try and make that noise while making an L sound

3 Likes

Also I’m pretty sure there’s a story that [name_f]Gwenllian[/name_f] wrote the Mabinogion (these welsh myths) so you might want to look into that, because they’re a good batch of stories

2 Likes

Gwenllian is gorgeous. [name_f]Regal[/name_f] with a rugged elegance

1 Like

I believe it’s pronounced kind of like ‘Gwench-lien’… It’s been a gp of mine for ages, but I definitely feel like I couldn’t use it irl because of pronunciation issues, which would probably arise anywhere outside of [name_m]Wales[/name_m] (maybe even in [name_m]Wales[/name_m] for all I know!). Fabulous name, though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d pronounce it the way it’s described and personally I love it especially because it has such a strong short name.

1 Like

What do you think, folks - is this a trusty pronunciation? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:[name_m]Cy[/name_m]-Gwenllian_ferch_Gruffudd.ogg This one is not too hard for my American bad-at-saying-things-ness, but of course Wikipedia isn’t the most accurate source. I’m hearing sort of a mix of everything you all have said depending on what I listen for which is fantastic (almost yanny/laurel-ish … wow, that was forever ago). :stuck_out_tongue: I love the originality of that.

I’m definitely going to be looking up the Mabinogion! I’ve realized I don’t know a ton of [name_m]Wales[/name_m], so now I’m gonna have to get on that!

2 Likes

Hard to explain how it’s pronounced as the double l sounds doesn’t exist in [name_f]English[/name_f]. As close as I can write it down would be [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]- chl- E- an.
To make the ll sound, put the tip of your tongue behind your bottom front teeth, open your mouth wide and thin (as opposed to an o shape) and almost hiss chl :joy:
Oh dear- I think you might just have to spend a lot of time around a Welsh person to work out what I’m on about!!

It’s an interesting one changing the pronunciation of a name. I guess there’s nothing wrong with it really but one of my pet hates is when people use a name like [name_m]Llywellyn[/name_m] and then don’t pronounce it properly.

2 Likes

The best way I can think to describe the pronunciation of the letter “Ll” is to imagine you unexpectedly sneeze just as you go to say the letter “L”. I’m not entirely sure how helpful that is though :joy:, but good luck. It’s a lovely name and if you do end up using it, it would be great if you could pronounce it the Welsh way. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister has a Welsh name that’s difficult to pronounce in [name_f]English[/name_f] and she loves hearing Welsh people say it

4 Likes

I think I’m getting pretty close – I don’t find it too terribly difficult to say once I kinda know how it sounds.

1 Like

Yes it’s not at all difficult once you know how! :blush:

1 Like